Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 08-08-2009, 02:37 PM   #1
bamboozled
bamboozled began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-300, Compaq PPC
Hello from West Texas

Hello,

I am relatively new to the eReader scene. I was introduced to them on a palm device years ago, but at the time was not really interested in reading on a 160 x 160 screen that needed to be recharged every 2-3 hours. All that button mashing, etc. So I stuck to reading books or some pdfs etc on a PC.

Enter 2009: First heard about Kindle while browsing on Amazon. Looks nice, but the price is prohibitive. Not really interested in the high speed downloads from an airport or a 3G connection. But it did pique my interest with the screen size and portability. But I wanted something I could upload to (USB, IR, or Firewire), carry easily, had good screen resolution and a decent battery life (although this last one would be okay if I could plug in - either USB or wall)

Did a little research and the target item appears to be a Sony PRS-505. Haven't purchased one yet as I am saving up for one (unless I can catch a sweet deal on a used one somewhere). The eink static screen looks tons better than the palm screen I had used years ago and gave up on for the above mentioned reasons (plus quite a bit of eyestrain as well). Given that I am mostly interested in uploading my own files, the 505 appears to be the perfect fit for my needs (especially with the Calibra software).

BTW... Does anyone have other opinions to offer concerning another model that would fit with my needs (that is at reasonable price for a working father of 3 small children)? Is there something about this model that I should know about from those that have experience with this model?

I'll be looking around and asking questions. Hopefully I may contribute at some point.

Bamboozled
bamboozled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 03:46 PM   #2
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Hello Bamboozled. Welcome to MobileRead. I also live in Texas, though I'm much further east than you. I live due north of the DFW airport, practically in Oklahoma!

As the owner of both a Kindle (1st generation) and a Sony PRS-505, I can report that both of them meet the criteria you listed:
  • something I could upload to (USB, IR, or Firewire)
  • carry easily
  • had good screen resolution
  • and a decent battery life
Both the Sony & Kindle use a 6-inch e-Ink screen, so they have good resolution and a decent battery life. My experience is on the order of 7-14 days, depending on how much reading I'm doing. Both connect to my PC over a USB cable -- and I use the same cable for both devices. Both charge off the wall power, though the Sony *will* change from the USB port if that's all you have. The Kindle2 changes off wall power through its USB port while the Kindle1 and Sony have separate ports for connecting to the wall power.

I've been looking at other brands of readers -- and I'm particularly interested in the new 5-inch devices that are coming out this summer. With a smaller screen, but the same number of pixels, they should have an even sharper display. The Wiki at MobileRead (see it at https://wiki.mobileread.com/ ) has lots of information on all the available manufacturers, retailers, and models of dedicated book readers. You might find it useful to take a look at the comparison matrix at https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/E-book_Reader_Matrix

As I said, welcome to MobileRead. We're glad you've joined us and I hope you'll find a reader that pleases you.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-08-2009, 03:59 PM   #3
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi bamboozled and welcome to MobileRead. Are you aware that Sony is about to launch two new eBook readers? Details here https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52760
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 06:37 PM   #4
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
Welcome!
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 01:53 PM   #5
kazbates
Wizard
kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SurfacePro, SurfaceBook 2
Welcome to MobileRead, Bamboozled!

As cassidym said, Sony is coming out with 2 new readers. The 300 is kind of an entry level reader and the preorders are running at $199. There is also the EBW1150 that is a great entry level reader and can be purchased for slightly over $100 from Fictionwise.com. It's a good reader but not an e-ink device. I've had one for years and love it. It's fairly durable, although it is a bit bulkier than the Sony devices. Good luck with your decision. By the way, once you've decided on a reading device, be sure to check out all the free ebooks you can download here at MR.

Happy Reading!
kazbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-09-2009, 04:04 PM   #6
rlparker
Ars longa
rlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankind

Device: Kindle K1, K3 wifi
Hi bamboozled, welcome to MR!
rlparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 10:04 AM   #7
Lady Blue
the snarky blue one
Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS500, 505 & 600, PRST1 & T2, Kindle PW, Moto Razr, Galaxy Tab 2-10"
Click image for larger version

Name:	red hi there.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	2.3 KB
ID:	33931 bamboozled, and welcome to MR.

Name:  texas flag.gif
Views: 126
Size:  61.0 KB
Lady Blue is offline   Reply With Quote