Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 07-05-2009, 10:18 AM   #1
motormanjh
motormanjh began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader 505
Favorite Time Travel Books

What is your favorite time travel book? Mine would have to be "The Time Traveler's Wife" by Audrey Niffenegger. I also really enjoyed "Cretaceous Sea" by Will Hubbel. Which time travel book would you recommend as a "must read?"
motormanjh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 10:31 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
You may find this thread to be of interest.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-05-2009, 12:31 PM   #3
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Thank you Harry T for the link to an older thread about Time Travel books. Many were unknown to me and I anticipate reading the works of many new (to me) authors.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 03:39 PM   #4
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Heinlein's All You Zombies is available as a podcast. See https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50200 for the details.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 03:56 PM   #5
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
I just read 'The Accidental Time Machine' by Joe Haldeman and really liked it.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-14-2009, 08:44 PM   #6
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Dinosaur Beach by Keith Laumer is the one I always remember when someone mentions "time travel".
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 04:17 PM   #7
Jadon
Hermit
Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Kobo Glo
I liked the Never Again books. Free only in pdf, unfortunately.
Jadon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 04:58 PM   #8
am_mread
Head Goat
am_mread is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Gen 11.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cassidym View Post
I second this!

Also, I'll add Timeline by Michael Crichton.
am_mread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 05:05 PM   #9
akira28
Nameless Being

Lovin' these:

"Time and Again" by Jack Finney
"Somewhere In Time" by Richard Matheson
Old 07-16-2009, 04:04 AM   #10
Andybaby
Wizard
Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-700
Quote:
Yeah it's a great book. but there is better haldeman. I like everything by him that I've read though.

A door into SUmmer is a great book, written by heinlein in the 60s, takes place around that time(after cold sleep was invented) and in the year 2000. very interesting on what he thought the future would be like. this is one of the first books when his main character is in love with a tweeny girl, the other was moon is a harsh mistress.

some people would recommend the domesday book. I hated it though. HATED. 0/5.. only book by me to receive this score.

Orion by Ben Bova was interesting. it's a series. I've only read the first one so far. its about an Age old war between light and darkness.
Andybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 04:09 AM   #11
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
'The Time Ships' by Stephen Baxter.

Written to commemorate the centenary of Wells' 'The Time Machine' - Baxter's book is way better than Wells' original imho.
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 10:54 AM   #12
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
Quote:
Originally Posted by akira28 View Post
Lovin' these:

"Time and Again" by Jack Finney
"Somewhere In Time" by Richard Matheson
Seconded, both great books, Matheson is a particularly brilliant writer.
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 02:26 PM   #13
curtw
Outside of a dog
curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I didn't read all of the way through the thread that HarryT pointed to, so I apologize if this is already there, but be sure to include Replay by Ken Grimwood.
curtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 02:30 PM   #14
curtw
Outside of a dog
curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
It's OK, but aside from the MacGuffin of the time machine, he was plagiarizing himself, and re-hashing themes that he's already covered (and covered better) in The Forever War.

IMHO, of course.
curtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 02:35 PM   #15
Cabe
Connoisseur
Cabe has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Cabe has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Cabe has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Cabe has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Cabe has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPhone
Julian May's Pliocene Saga is very very good.
Cabe is offline   Reply With Quote