Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 06-05-2009, 01:25 PM   #1
alex@waterstones
alex@waterstones began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
eBooks Survey at Waterstone's

Hello, I hope you don't mind me linking this myself but we've launched a survey on eBooks today and I'd love to get responses from the members of mobileread. The survey is here, and should take around ten minutes to complete. Our aim is to gather as much feedback as possible to help shape our future plans and ensure that our offer matches what you want.

If anyone would like to raise any issues with me that are not included in the survey or for which they require a direct response then please by all means send me a private message.

Also, if you have any particular authors, titles or series that you wish to see in eBook but cannot currently find do please let us know on our eBooks suggestion page.

Thanks,
Alex Ingram
eBooks Buyer
Waterstones.com
alex@waterstones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 01:31 PM   #2
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
Done
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-05-2009, 01:39 PM   #3
Curly
I need a holiday!
Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: PRS-505, ipod touch
Thanks for letting us know Alex!
Curly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 01:40 PM   #4
mklynds
That guy, no not that guy
mklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with others

Device: PRS600 Red
Finished
mklynds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 02:07 PM   #5
Cabe
Connoisseur
Cabe has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Cabe has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Cabe has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Cabe has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Cabe has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPhone
Finally!

Someone who works for a company that....

A) Actually seems to care about the people who buy their products
B) Is up front about it, I really love it when companies don't "Astroturf"

Commendable.

Completed the survey BTW....

Last edited by Cabe; 06-05-2009 at 02:21 PM.
Cabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-05-2009, 02:53 PM   #6
columbus
Wizard
columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Prs 650, 505
Done.

Thanks Alex,
it is good to see that Waterstones are finally coming to see that customers views are of value to them.

Now, how about some freebies as the Sony USA site!!!!!
columbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 03:49 PM   #7
Xenophon
curmudgeon
Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, (ex)nook, (ex)PRS-700, (ex)PRS-500
Done.
Xenophon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 03:59 PM   #8
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex@waterstones View Post
f anyone would like to raise any issues with me that are not included in the survey or for which they require a direct response then please by all means send me a private message.
Lovely to see a Waterstones representative here at Mobileread. I've filled in the survey, and added a few comments at the "any other comments" at the end.

I forgot to mention a couple of things that you might find directly relevant to Waterstones, or anyone else setting up an ebook store.

(1) You must have a good search system for just the ebooks. I have no interest in searching through 100 results for the five ebooks hidden in the list.
(2) You must have a reliable order history/re-download system.

You don't currently have (1). I've tried the advanced search, and when I didn't get an error from the search, I always got all formats, not the ebooks I selected in the formats popup.

I searched for the last couple of books I bought from fictionwise.

I couldn't find Heinlein's Stranger in as Strange land in ebook format.
I did find The Alchemyst by Michael Scott.

At Fictionwise that cost me $7.64, with a rebate of $3.06, taking the net cost to $4.58. Checking Paypal, that was £4.39, net £2.63. Granted, this was in a sale, so my current cost would be $7.26 or £4.17.

Now, you have to charge VAT. So I could see paying £4.80 for the book. Your price? £5.51.

You know - I'm surprised. That's actually not too far off, assuming you occasionally do sales too. Because it is, after all, over twice what I actually paid for the book.

One thing that would definitely attract me to a UK store would be if there was some indication that the text wasn't the same as the US version. For instance, if the Harry Potter books ever make it to ebook form, there's no way I'll be buying the US versions.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 05:17 PM   #9
bathos
Zealot
bathos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bathos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bathos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bathos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bathos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bathos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bathos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bathos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bathos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bathos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bathos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone XS, iPad Pro, iPad Air 2, kindle Oasis
Another survey completed. Great to see someone finally asking what the readers want.

I'm another one who would love a simple search function for ebooks.

The prices are also ridiculous. I look at the prices at Watersones, laugh, and go and buy them somewhere else. I've bought 200+ ebooks lately and not one of them has been from Watersones.
bathos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 08:02 PM   #10
zerospinboson
"Assume a can opener..."
zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iLiad v2, DR1000
fairly comprehensive question list, too.
zerospinboson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 08:59 PM   #11
lemon lime
Enthusiast
lemon lime began at the beginning.

Device: Bebook, iPod touch
I answered the survey and clicked on "Done" five minutes ago ... "Waiting for www.rhgdigital3.co.uk..."

It wasn't a very time-consuming survey, but it's irritating to think I did that for nothing.

Clicked "Stop loading" then "Done" again. Same result.
lemon lime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 09:03 PM   #12
NormHart
Semper Carpe Bufo
NormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmos

Device: Kindle2 & Kindle3
Yup, mine's hung too. Not sure if it's going to take the survey or not.

Ehh, I'll leave the tab open until I'm off the internet tonight.
NormHart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 12:38 AM   #13
tech_au
Oz Bookworm
tech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony PRS 505,PRS 650
I'd probably have only 2 comments for them. Make your ebooks prices competitive and make the Search engine suck alot less. Go and have a look at Sony's and Wh Smiths search engines if you have to.
tech_au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 01:07 AM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Why is it that your eBooks are not part of the 50% sale?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 02:58 AM   #15
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
I've done the survey, and complained bitterly that some publishers will only allow ebooks in one format - e.g. Penguin and ADE

Regards, Alex
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ebooks, survey, waterstones