Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-18-2017, 02:00 AM   #1
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Firmware Update - 4.5.9587

As at least one person has noticed, Kobo has released firmware version 4.5.9587. This is mainly a bug fix release with few noticeable changes. It should be going to all devices except the Mini.

The release notes are:
Quote:
New in version 4.5:

This release includes a number of behind-the-scenes improvements designed to help you when things aren’t working as expected. Even though we put a lot of love into these updates, we hope you never have to benefit from them.

However, if you are having trouble with something, the best place to start is with our Help section. You can access it from the main menu on the upper left.

Happy reading!
And this is what Kobo posted to the beta list:
Quote:
4.5 focuses on "Content Delivery"

Raising confidence you have all of your books; providing education on syncing and providing troubleshooting for missing books
  • Added [Help > Troubleshooting missing books] section - Walks customer through syncing, confirming correct account ID, repairing, factory reset, contacting kobo.com/help, Customer Care)
  • Hotspot login improvements (especially in cases were you saw a blank hotspot login page, or a button or field could not be tapped)
  • Display Checkmark on Sync icon if sync completed within the last 5 minutes
  • In Sync menu, show number of books added (eg. ‘Sync complete. Added: 2 books.’)
  • If user has not synced in 60+ days, display 'Got time to Sync?' dialog with 'Later' and 'Sync now’ buttons
  • If user has synced using Kobo Desktop 3 times and has no saved Wi Fi networks, show 'Connect to Wi Fi' dialog with 'Later' and 'Add Wi Fi network’ buttons
  • Sync errors; inform user if sync failed due to network connectivity, or a problem with syncing
  • Added interstitial screen when signing out/factory resetting device
  • [Kobo Desktop] Some free books that did not have cover images were not appearing in My Books
  • [Kobo Desktop] Clearer sync messaging toast, and add a Cancel button

Fixed:
  • If a software update was found during automatic sync, user was not being asked whether to apply update now or later (update was applied immediately)
  • Light could remain on when device should be sleeping, causing battery to drain
  • On some devices, swiping to adjust brightness could only go down to 1%, instead of 0%
  • Repair wasn’t always prompting you to connect to Wi Fi
  • Repair could cause Known networks to be removed
  • In purchase path, Keyboard might have appeared when it shouldn’t
  • Authors view: ‘Recent’ sort was not always working
  • Authors view: Number of books sort was ordering lowest-to-highest
With that much more complete list, I have removed my short list.

The download links for sideloading will be added to https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kobo_Firmware_Releases soon. Or you can use http://geek1011.github.io/KoboStuff/kobofirmware.html to view them. (Note: The results can depend on your IP address).

The Mini:
While the firmware hasn't been officially released for the Mini, it appears to work on the device. There are several reports in this of manual installation on the Mini with no problems.

calibre:
Apart from the firmware version number, there are no changes that affect calibre. I have committed the change to bump the supported version. This should be included in the next calibre release. Until then, it is safe to use the "Attempt to support newer firmware versions" option in the KoboTouch and KoboTouchExtended drivers.

Known problems:
The following are the problems with this firmware. Most are discussed later in this thread.
  • Double screen refresh after selecting a word and dismissing the annotations menu.
  • Downloading books using the browser doesn't work. It starts, but doesn't complete.
  • Any kepubs on an external SD card are reprocessed each time the card is seen.

Last edited by davidfor; 07-29-2017 at 07:43 AM. Reason: Added release notes, change list from Kobo, calibre change checked in
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 04:49 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Mark 3 - http://download.kobobooks.com/firmwa...e-4.5.9587.zip

Mark 4 - http://download.kobobooks.com/firmwa...e-4.5.9587.zip

Mark 5 - http://download.kobobooks.com/firmwa...e-4.5.9587.zip

Mark 6 - http://download.kobobooks.com/firmwa...e-4.5.9587.zip

Enjoy!

Last edited by JSWolf; 07-18-2017 at 08:27 AM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-18-2017, 08:17 AM   #3
WiBu
WiBu began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Thanks, guys!
WiBu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 10:16 AM   #4
paul1508
paul1508 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
I am positively surprised by the effort Kobo is putting into their software!
paul1508 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 10:42 AM   #5
Martina Schein
eBook-Reader-Fan
Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O 2nd Edition
Thank you very much for the information.
I have just sideloaded the firmware. My H2O is not yet exploded. Calibre recognizes my H2O also with the new firmware.
Martina Schein is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-18-2017, 11:35 AM   #6
petercreasey
Wizard
petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony: PRS 950 & T1, Kobo: Aura One & Forma
For the KA1, I wonder if they fixed: (i) the battery charging light not going green when battery is charged; and (ii) the periodic total discharge of the battery for no apparent reason (I have the lighting feature(s) fully disabled).
petercreasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 12:30 PM   #7
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by petercreasey View Post
For the KA1, I wonder if they fixed: (i) the battery charging light not going green when battery is charged;
I doubt that is going to be fixed any time soon. There is no consistent reason for it. I have a charger where it will (most of the time, but not always) turn green and another one where I have never seen it turn green.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 02:36 PM   #8
badav92
badav92 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo touch mark 3
firmware

Hello, i'm new here and i have a question: would it be possible to have landscape mode for reading books in the next firmware, i have the first kobo touch mark 3 And it would be greatly appreciated. thank you in advance.

Last edited by badav92; 07-18-2017 at 02:38 PM.
badav92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 03:23 PM   #9
mathil
Evangelist
mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O/Glo HD/Libra 2, Kindle PW3/PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by badav92 View Post
Hello, i'm new here and i have a question: would it be possible to have landscape mode for reading books in the next firmware, i have the first kobo touch mark 3 And it would be greatly appreciated. thank you in advance.
This is a forum for e-reader users. You should contact Kobo's customer support directly if you wish for new features to be added to the firmware.
mathil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 03:25 PM   #10
mathil
Evangelist
mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O/Glo HD/Libra 2, Kindle PW3/PW5
Could someone who has updated their device already tell me if Kobo has changed the font used for footnotes' popups from the previous firmware? They have recently switched to a non-serif font with huge line-height (probably Kobo Nickel), I am kind of hoping they'll go back to using Georgia...
mathil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 04:37 PM   #11
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Aura Edition 2 v1, Clara HD
http://geek1011.github.io/KoboStuff/kobofirmware.html

Kobo Firmware 4.5.9587

Kobo firmware 4.5.9587 has been released. As of July 18, 2017, it has been released to the devices: Kobo Touch A/B, Kobo Touch C, Kobo Glo, Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Touch 2.0, Kobo Aura, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Aura H2O Edition 2, Kobo Aura ONE, Kobo Aura Edition 2. It has not been released to the: Kobo Mini. The affiliates used to check these firmware versions were: kobo, rakutenbooks, bestbuyca, fnac, bol, beta, walmartca.

Download Links

Official Links: You can also try these generic links at your own risk:
Generated by Kobo Firmware Download Links by Patrick G. Source Code
geek1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 04:42 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
delete post
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 07:38 PM   #13
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by petercreasey View Post
(ii) the periodic total discharge of the battery for no apparent reason (I have the lighting feature(s) fully disabled).
Did you read the first post?
Old 07-18-2017, 07:39 PM   #14
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathil View Post
Could someone who has updated their device already tell me if Kobo has changed the font used for footnotes' popups from the previous firmware? They have recently switched to a non-serif font with huge line-height (probably Kobo Nickel), I am kind of hoping they'll go back to using Georgia...
Sorry, it is still using a non-serif font. I don't know about the line spacing as the only footnote I could quickly find was only two words.
Old 07-18-2017, 08:39 PM   #15
petercreasey
Wizard
petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony: PRS 950 & T1, Kobo: Aura One & Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Did you read the first post?
David, yes,...and I just now reread it.

There seems to be no mention of a solution for...

Quote:
the periodic total discharge of the battery for no apparent reason (I have the lighting feature(s) fully disabled).
Many of your postings are constructive, then you seem to come forward with something that suggests some kind of an ulterior motive.

What's your point?

. . . . . Pete
petercreasey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
firmware upgrade