Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 02-24-2017, 05:45 PM   #31
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex2002ans View Post
Hmmm, I can think of one helpful search advantage in Notepad++, "Find in All Opened Documents":

http://cdn.ghacks.net/wp-content/upl...t-in-files.png

it then pops up a list with each hit on its own line. Better than a "Count All" showing you the raw number of hits, and having to "Find Next" throughout the entire book.
Helpful, yes. I like the "find in files" and "find in open files" features of Komodo Edit, too.

But the claim was "easier and more powerful single-file search and replace". So my question still stands, I think: for straight-up S&R in one file, what would someone consider more "powerful" than regex?

Last edited by DiapDealer; 02-24-2017 at 05:49 PM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 11:14 AM   #32
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by nabsltd View Post
I don't use the preview window because it takes up too much room, and without the ability to include the default/user/device stylesheet, it's not very accurate anyway. Book View suffers the same problem, but at least it doesn't take up any extra screen space.
I'm not sure I understand your point here...Sigil can link to any stylesheet you have loaded. If you want it to display how it will look with a specific device's styling then all you need to do is create a stylesheet with that styling and link to it.
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-25-2017, 11:34 AM   #33
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle91 View Post
I'm not sure I understand your point here...Sigil can link to any stylesheet you have loaded. If you want it to display how it will look with a specific device's styling then all you need to do is create a stylesheet with that styling and link to it.
He wants to be able to apply device-specific styles to Preview. So he can emulate how his epub looks on a device's stock settings (without having to diddle the epub itself).

I don't know how likely a feature like that is to materialize, but I can see the benefit (though independent user overrides won't make it all that useful). Most device-specific rendering quirks require coding changes to overcome anyway. And Book View/Preview was never intended to eliminate the need to test on target device/apps in the first place.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 12:00 PM   #34
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
OK, that's what I was thinking he meant but was confused over the statement that it wasn't possible. This is Sigil - anything is possible if you are determined enough!

It seems like it would only need someone to create a stylesheet(s) that emulates a specific device's defaults with !important. It might not be perfect, but it would probably be close enough for all the initial work. Yes, it might take some effort to create it initially, but the file can be saved and reused. Sigil does allow for multiple stylesheets to be applied at the same time; it could be applied for editing and then removed before publishing.

I imagine we could create a sticky here for people to add their stylesheet/emulator contributions for others to use??

...or some programming genius could create a quick plugin that would allow an individual to select a stylesheet from a list and apply and then remove??
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote