Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-14-2008, 11:49 AM   #1
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Waterstone's UK to sell Sony Reader this autumn

The long and painful wait is almost over (at least for UK residents): As previous rumors have already hinted, and the Independent is reaffirming in their Business section today, the UK's leading bookseller, Waterstone's, is gearing up to launch the Sony Reader device.

No price yet, sorry folks, but we heard people say something of around £200.

Previous discussions on Waterstone's and the Sony Reader: Sony Reader, Amazon Kindle Coming to the UK soon, 505 to be sold by Waterstone's in UK
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 11:51 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Very good news! Waterstones, for those who don't know, are by far the largest chain of bookshops in the UK. They have a shop in almost every town.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-14-2008, 11:53 AM   #3
stustaff
Wizard
stustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it is

Device: sony reader PRS505 and 600
Woohoo waterstones are as it goes very good bookshops!
And yes one in pretty much every town.

Its going to be very interesting though to see what books they(sony/waterstones) can sell in the UK
stustaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 11:55 AM   #4
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
bookeen needs to make a deal like this with the fnac (very large book / technology chain in france). the big problem here is nobody knows about e-ink or liseuses. it would help if people could see them in person.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 12:10 PM   #5
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
After months of speculation and rumor about the Sony Reader and the Amazon Kindle being sold there, I hope this one pans out.
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-14-2008, 12:30 PM   #6
M0zza
Geek... Apparently
M0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Device: Sony PRS-505 (Silver), ASUS Transformer TF300T, IPAD Air 2
Fantastic News! (especially as I'm moving back to old blighty in a couple of months)

I hope they have their own 'net bookshop as well. The Sony one is dreadful! And my wife doesn't like me messing around buying books for her and converting them. She likes to buy her own.
M0zza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 12:37 PM   #7
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Turcic View Post
No price yet, sorry folks, but we heard people say something of around £200.

Is that 200 Pounds? Isn't that almost $400? Or did you mean 200 euro?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 12:39 PM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
£200 is not improbable. Remember that the price includes 17.5% VAT, and pretty much everything is more expensive in Europe than in the US. £200 would be better than the "dollar for pound" price we often get (eg $270 in the US, £270 here).
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 12:44 PM   #9
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
£200 is not improbable. Remember that the price includes 17.5% VAT, and pretty much everything is more expensive in Europe than in the US. £200 would be better than the "dollar for pound" price we often get (eg $270 in the US, £270 here).
Oh ok. I forgot all you Europeans are rich anyway.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 12:47 PM   #10
zelda_pinwheel
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post

BOb
pffff. don't i wish.
Old 07-14-2008, 01:58 PM   #11
rittsi
Enthusiast
rittsi will become famous soon enoughrittsi will become famous soon enoughrittsi will become famous soon enoughrittsi will become famous soon enoughrittsi will become famous soon enoughrittsi will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony 505, iphone 3GS, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
bookeen needs to make a deal like this with the fnac (very large book / technology chain in france). the big problem here is nobody knows about e-ink or liseuses. it would help if people could see them in person.
I definitely agree with you! We've got Fnac here in Belgium as well, & I think it would be a great opportunity for customers to also try ebook readers out in stores. I have yet to buy a dedicated ebook reader, mainly because I want to see the device first.

I recently discovered a Sony Reader on display at Saturn (multimedia store), but it's not a working model (much to my frustration). The latest information I got from their staff is that it will be available here in December for 299 euro.
rittsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 02:11 PM   #12
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by rittsi View Post
I definitely agree with you! We've got Fnac here in Belgium as well, & I think it would be a great opportunity for customers to also try ebook readers out in stores. I have yet to buy a dedicated ebook reader, mainly because I want to see the device first.

I recently discovered a Sony Reader on display at Saturn (multimedia store), but it's not a working model (much to my frustration). The latest information I got from their staff is that it will be available here in December for 299 euro.
yes, i know what you mean. it's really not the same, to see them in photos and even video. i can tell you though, since i've been playing with one for 2 days now, they are *better* in person.

i really don't see the point of having a sony on display, if it's not a working model. that's just stupid.

well, i will mention this at the MR apéro on friday. hopefully they are already planning this, since already they have made a deal with pixmania to sell them online, so they are expanding.
Old 07-15-2008, 03:27 AM   #13
stustaff
Wizard
stustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it is

Device: sony reader PRS505 and 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
£200 seems fairly realistic actually! after all I imported min at a cost of about $370 so just under £200
stustaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 03:33 AM   #14
Argel
Opinionated [but right]
Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.

Device: Cybook Gen3, PRS 505, Kindle International, HTC Desire
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post

BOb
We're not rich, we're just used to being ripped off.
Argel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 06:52 AM   #15
Argel
Opinionated [but right]
Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.

Device: Cybook Gen3, PRS 505, Kindle International, HTC Desire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Turcic View Post
The long and painful wait is almost over (at least for UK residents): As previous rumors have already hinted, and the Independent is reaffirming in their Business section today, the UK's leading bookseller, Waterstone's, is gearing up to launch the Sony Reader device.
I should rejoice at this, at least short-term, because I have a few shares in HMV, who own Waterstones.

But at the same time, though it's good for us ebook enthusiasts, I can't help but feel that it's like turkeys voting for Christmas.

It's a fact that I don't buy from book-stores much any more. Paper books come by mail, ebooks over the net. Presumably the people who buy an ereader from Waterstones won't be buying their ebooks from Waterstones. In effect, they are selling their own customers - or at least part of their book-spend.

I suppose they have no choice but book-selling in the UK is becoming more and more threatened. I'll be sad - and slightly guilty - to see specialized book-stores wither away.
Argel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sony reader, waterstone