Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 08-16-2017, 02:18 PM   #2401
ziggy9942
ziggy9942 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire HD8
So, uh, possibly a noobish question, but I can't for the life of me figure it out.

I've got some 250 fics/quests downloaded, and of those about fifty update regularly. The update function works without much issue, other than the SB/SV issues everyone's got, and those aren't a problem since I moved over to the test version. On my computer, everything updates normally, and I can read the latest update on the ebook version I have downloaded.

The problem is with my device. I can't figure out why, but once I sent the ebooks over to my Kindle Fire HD8, that's the version that's permanently on the device. I can delete my library from my KFHD, but even if I do that, if I send the ebooks from my computer to it, it's still stuck on the old version.

Example: Intrepid, in my Calibre library, has 168 chapters. Intrepid, the same story, on my device, has 165. I can delete Intrepid from my KFHD and send the Calibre version over... but it still only has 165 chapters for some reason. I've gotten around this once, by changing the format of the ebook I'm sending over to mobi, but I can only do that one more time by switching to pdf; the azw3 format I formerly used only sends over 163 chapter of that story.

Can someone explain just why this is happening? Or is this a calibre problem, rather than a FFF problem? I'm not too concerned by the problem itself, I'm more curious as to what would cause it.

Last edited by ziggy9942; 08-16-2017 at 02:23 PM.
ziggy9942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 02:30 PM   #2402
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer
JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite(10th)
@ziggy9942:

It sounds like you are using FFF to update epub (which is what I recommend), but not updating the azw3 format afterward.

You can test that by manually converting from epub to azw3 and sending that format to your device again. You should then have all chapters.

I use a Kindle Voyage myself, and FFF has some settings to help. See highlighted:
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	162
Size:	64.0 KB
ID:	158496

One deletes the other (now outdated) formats on download, the other kicks off a convert automatically for each updated book. Note that you need to have your default convert-to-format set appropriately in calibre.
JimmXinu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-16-2017, 02:58 PM   #2403
ziggy9942
ziggy9942 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire HD8
That worked perfectly, thanks!
ziggy9942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 10:09 PM   #2404
Matt Harris
Matt Harris began at the beginning.

Device: Calibre/FBReader/Kindle For Android on an Asus Tablet
I've tried the Spacebattles/SufficientVelocity adapter. It works, but it is pulling in some non-story related threadmarks. (Staff Postings etc.)

Example: https://forums.sufficientvelocity.co...-nanoha.28074/ is pulling in Staff Warnings. Not a major issue - they all show at the end.

Last edited by Matt Harris; 08-16-2017 at 10:10 PM. Reason: Formatting
Matt Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 11:30 PM   #2405
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer
JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Harris View Post
I've tried the Spacebattles/SufficientVelocity adapter. It works, but it is pulling in some non-story related threadmarks. (Staff Postings etc.)

Example: https://forums.sufficientvelocity.co...-nanoha.28074/ is pulling in Staff Warnings. Not a major issue - they all show at the end.
That's the way it's designed to work. But there are settings you can put in your personal.ini to change it. Like so:

Code:
[base_xenforoforum]
## xenforoforum has categories of threadmarks.  This setting allows
## you to leave out categories you don't want.  Skipping categories
## will also speed downloads as categories other than 'Threadmarks'
## don't use Reader Mode.
## The last known list of categories is:
## Threadmarks,Sidestory,Apocrypha,Media,Informational,Staff Post
skip_threadmarks_categories:Staff Post
Advert
Old 08-17-2017, 12:53 AM   #2406
Matt Harris
Matt Harris began at the beginning.

Device: Calibre/FBReader/Kindle For Android on an Asus Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmXinu View Post
That's the way it's designed to work. But there are settings you can put in your personal.ini to change it.
Excellent - thank you so much.

Last edited by Matt Harris; 08-17-2017 at 01:23 AM.
Matt Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 11:47 AM   #2407
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer

New test version posted

2017-08-17
- Restore sycophanthex.com sites.
Old 08-18-2017, 01:30 PM   #2408
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer

New Version Released

Version 2.16.0 - 18 Aug 2017
- Restore sycophanthex.com sites.
- Fix for gravitytales.com--thanks cryzed!
- AO3 - drop out of use_view_full_work when missing chapters.
- Escape webnovel.com chapter texts for HTML, thanks cryzed
- Add AO3 inspiredlinks after last chapter.
- Fix AO3 always_login and bookmarktags/bookmarksummary site metadata.
- Save AO3 'associations' link 'inspired by' links -- included with authorheadnotes.
- Limit adapter_wuxiaworldcom removed links to prev/next chapter.
- Don't cache metadata list while building from include_in_ -- Calibre version causes problems with removeallentities=True vs False cache.
- Calibre image processing chokes on SVG images. Rejects svg images--use no_image_processing to include svg images.
- Make default for fanfic.hu https, thanks botmtl.
- Fixes for webnovel.com site changes (PR #206), thanks cryzed.
- Fix xenforo threadmarks change for SB/SV.
- Calibre removed sanitize_html function.
- Explicitly (instead of implicitly) set is_adult:false in defaults.ini.
- Comment out bookmarks for AO3 temporarily.
- Fix for adapter_asianfanficscom caching vs login issue.
Old 08-19-2017, 11:15 AM   #2409
Ser4nb2LUY6e
Connoisseur
Ser4nb2LUY6e began at the beginning.

Device: Moon+ Reader Pro on Android
Please consider adding an adapter for http://volarenovels.com
Ser4nb2LUY6e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 10:27 AM   #2410
cryzed
Evangelist
cryzed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cryzed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cryzed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cryzed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cryzed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cryzed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cryzed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cryzed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cryzed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cryzed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cryzed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
As a small heads-up to those who know Python and might be interested (ideas, contributions etc.): I'm currently working on a way to make it easier to quickly create rough adapters (only the most necessary metadata) for new sites: Faretricks.

Sites that fetch/encode the actual content using JavaScript aren't supported (for now), just regular HTML sites. The goal is to render a general adapter template with most of the manual webscraping / code already done, which then hopefully needs to be only slightly adjusted.

If you want to get an idea how it works (currently not super user-friendly), you can create a virtualenv and pip install it; alternatively take a look at cli.py.
cryzed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 12:21 PM   #2411
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer

New Test Version Posted (again)

2017-08-30
- Add sectionUrl metadata and mechanism for internally normalizing story URLs *and* [story URL] sections. For base_xenforo when including thread titles in storyUrl. Doesn't effect base_xenforo *post* URLs.
- base_xenforo: Move skip_threadmarks_categories to save a fetch if skipping anyway. Will also effect minimum_threadmarks.
- base_xenforo: Don't include thread title in *chapter* url, perfomance impact is smaller and keeps from marking a bunch of stuff (new).
- Add delays for base_xenforoforum_adapter.
- Use thread-title URL for storyUrl with base_xenforo to save redirect fetches.
- Comment out some debug output.
- Remove webnovel.com manual escaping of HTML entities, the website now seems to take care of it (#224)--thanks cryzed

Xon, the resident developer for SpaceBattles and SufficientVelocity has asked that we make some changes to reduce impact on their servers.

Apparently someone used an automated update polling script with FFF that was resulting in 30,000+ fetches a day. I agree that that is excessive. I would hope that people don't abuse any of the sites we support that way in future.

So downloading from base_xenforo will be slower from now on--deliberately.

And to save URL redirect hits, we will be storing the 'canonical' thread URLs with thread title--that can sometimes change. That will sometimes tripped the 'story URL changed' warnings, especially with stories already stored with title-less URLs.

Last edited by JimmXinu; 08-30-2017 at 04:16 PM. Reason: Update info for new test version.
Old 08-30-2017, 04:17 PM   #2412
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer

FYI, New Test Version Posted (again). See previous post for details.
Old 09-01-2017, 03:11 AM   #2413
Tanjamuse
Wizard
Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: none
I know I can use a metadata-column to fill out other custom columns, but is it also possible to go the other way. To use all my columns to fill the metadata-column?
Tanjamuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 10:28 AM   #2414
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanjamuse View Post
I know I can use a metadata-column to fill out other custom columns, but is it also possible to go the other way. To use all my columns to fill the metadata-column?
FanFicFare does not have a feature to do so.

In theory, it could be done if you truly have all the metadata saved in different columns and you didn't change/normalize/mangle it.

And if you already have it in your custom columns, what's the point? The saved metadata column is for filling your custom columns...
Old 09-05-2017, 10:41 AM   #2415
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer

New test version posted

2017-09-05
- base_xenforo: Use '/posts/' not 'post' to find thread vs post URLs.

Tags
fanfiction