Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 02-22-2013, 03:40 AM   #226
Tintin
Enthusiast
Tintin has a spectacular aura aboutTintin has a spectacular aura aboutTintin has a spectacular aura aboutTintin has a spectacular aura aboutTintin has a spectacular aura aboutTintin has a spectacular aura aboutTintin has a spectacular aura aboutTintin has a spectacular aura aboutTintin has a spectacular aura aboutTintin has a spectacular aura aboutTintin has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kobo Glo
Hmmm, same thing happening here with me. Have tried twice now to upgrade directly through wifi. Get to 100% and then zilch. The old paperclip remedy just restarts it with old version of firmware. Have a Glo by the way.
I'm sure it will come good on another attempt but will have to wait until I get home from work!
Would be interesting to know why this is happening for some folks - any theories?
Tintin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 04:10 AM   #227
jusmee
Wizard
jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libre 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tintin View Post
Hmmm, same thing happening here with me. Have tried twice now to upgrade directly through wifi. Get to 100% and then zilch. The old paperclip remedy just restarts it with old version of firmware. Have a Glo by the way.
I'm sure it will come good on another attempt but will have to wait until I get home from work!
Would be interesting to know why this is happening for some folks - any theories?
The paperclip did nothing for mine. Just sat saying 100%. I was lucky, after I fiddled a bit, it decided to power on using the power button.

I purposely factory reset mine, and let it upgrade back to 2.3.1 a few days back, so it would be nice and clean for this update - so I really think they have stuffed something up badly.

Mine upgraded OK on the second attempt though.
jusmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-22-2013, 04:19 AM   #228
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
News from my Mini
I couldn't wait for the device to shut down by itself, so I used a paperclip to reset it. removing the snapback was a little scary, since i was doing it for the first time, but it went well

For the first attempt, I launched the sync from the home screen. I was really only trying to sync reading progress at that time, so I don't know if that's the proper way to do an upgrade. All I could see was "téléchargement du l..." (firmware downl...) on the top line, nothing more. No idea how far the download went and where it was stuck.

So for the second attempt, after the reboot I log out of my account and log in again, which prompted the firmware download. If I had to do it again, I would do that in the first place.

I'm still reading the one same book as before, so I can't report anything regarding bugs. I can't see the part where I can archive books, so I'll look at the beginning of the thread to have a step by step explanation. I just hope it isn't restricted because I'm using a FNAC account to log in

Edit
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaikara View Post
In the library view when you click on a book you have an option for delete and archive now. [...] Only Kepubs have this option of course.
Of course So, duh, It's working just fine when I remember to select a Kepub

Last edited by samhy; 02-22-2013 at 04:54 AM.
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 04:58 AM   #229
Anak
Fanatic
Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robko View Post
I think I can explain the randomness factor (at least for those without a sleep cover). From my testing (no sleep cover) if you allow the device to sleep automatically after time X it will have the 60 second timeout when you wake it from sleep. If you use the SWITCH to SLEEP it then you don't get the 60 sec timeout when you use the switch to wake it again.
I can also confirm this 60 seconds return to sleep mode bug on the Kobo Touch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robko View Post
If you use the SWITCH to SLEEP it then you don't get the 60 sec timeout when you use the switch to wake it again.
IMHO, this is not correct. When opening an ebook and not touching the touch screen within the 60 seconds interval the device will automatically go back into sleep mode.

Personally I consider this a bug. If this is a new feature then I would like to suggest to extent this 60 seconds interval.

Last edited by Anak; 02-22-2013 at 07:19 AM.
Anak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 05:56 AM   #230
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uschiekid View Post
If you are using ubuntu, you might want to try this:
(under the section: Using an eReader with ADE)
http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManage...estingId=43373
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
I use Debian (Wheezy) and and old ADE version 1.7.2, it works with Wine as long as I plug the e-reader in and, before starting ADE, run wine-configuration to set the e-reader's drive letter in Drives-->ShowAdvanced-->Type to "Floppy disk". Sounds bizarre, but everything works including authorise/deauthorise devices and download/return library books.
Off topic, sorry.

Thank both of you
I tried GeoffR's method first, since ADE was already installed on my computer, I had to select the type as floppy disk twice to have it work, but it worked well in the end.
A nice trick to know indeed
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-22-2013, 06:09 AM   #231
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
Without success, I downloaded 2.4 update over wifi to KT more than 4 times with and without SD card installed and once used pinhole reset. After factory reset, updated Windows Kobo desktop program then successfully update KT to 2.4. This is first time I could not update a Kobo reader over Wifi. I use Linux OS 99% of the time and Windows only when I must. No problems with using KT 2.4 firmware yet.
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 06:38 AM   #232
Tintin
Enthusiast
Tintin has a spectacular aura aboutTintin has a spectacular aura aboutTintin has a spectacular aura aboutTintin has a spectacular aura aboutTintin has a spectacular aura aboutTintin has a spectacular aura aboutTintin has a spectacular aura aboutTintin has a spectacular aura aboutTintin has a spectacular aura aboutTintin has a spectacular aura aboutTintin has a spectacular aura about

Yes, first time I've had problems too! I'm loath to do a factory reset as all my books will have to be reloaded (loads!) Will have to be content with old version until it plays ball.
Just have this irrational feeling that I'm missing out on some fantastic new update like winning lottery number predictor or something!
Tintin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 06:45 AM   #233
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Quote:
Just have this irrational feeling that I'm missing out on some fantastic new update like winning lottery number predictor or something!
Correct, this is a new feature. Works really well!

Quote:
Yes, first time I've had problems too! I'm loath to do a factory reset as all my books will have to be reloaded (loads!) Will have to be content with old version until it plays ball.
You shouldn't have to do a factory reset. A pinhole reset also works and often the second attempt at Wifi update has worked for others. Otherwise, you could just update via the Desktop app, or manually.
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 10:37 AM   #234
david_e
Seriously?
david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini, iWhatever
Updated my Mini last night with no problems.
david_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 11:01 AM   #235
guma
Connoisseur
guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by mconh View Post

I think I will stick with 2.1.5 which seems to be the most stable release since 1.9.17.
Same here. 2.1.5 has the best 'bug-set' according to my needs. I.e. 2.1.5 has no bugs that are overly annoying to me and generally runs rather smoothly on my device (but I had to give up using an SD-card).

..... unfortunately the deciding factor when choosing a KOBO firmware is still the most tolerable 'bug-set' and not the most attractive feature-set ....
guma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 11:03 AM   #236
Bagtrail
Bagtrail began at the beginning.

Device: Airis T620
I don't know if this just amounts to just a coincidence, but my Glo stuck at 100% several times. In an attempt to keep it as simple as possible, I did a paperclick reset and removed the micro SD card. Without the card it updated first time. Not that it was worth the trouble, as the update does not seem to address the main gripes.
Bagtrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 11:10 AM   #237
Shai-Hulud
Silicon Book Worm
Shai-Hulud has much to be proud ofShai-Hulud has much to be proud ofShai-Hulud has much to be proud ofShai-Hulud has much to be proud ofShai-Hulud has much to be proud ofShai-Hulud has much to be proud ofShai-Hulud has much to be proud ofShai-Hulud has much to be proud ofShai-Hulud has much to be proud ofShai-Hulud has much to be proud ofShai-Hulud has much to be proud of

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by guma View Post
..... unfortunately the deciding factor when choosing a KOBO firmware is still the most tolerable 'bug-set' and not the most attractive feature-set ....
+1 to that statement

I'd elect to go back to 1.9.17 if only this 'new' style touch would take it
Shai-Hulud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 02:51 PM   #238
moffattm
Addict
moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Original, Kobo Glo
Hmm, I wonder what causes some people's Kobo's to upgrade ok while others don't. My Glo upgraded ok on the first attempt, no need for pin-hole resets or anything. Maybe if we compare our setups then we can find a common denominator.

I upgraded over WIFI directly to the e-reader. I was sitting at the Home screen and tapped the menu button (top-right) and tapped sync, then closed the menu. I don't use an SD card. Upgrade took 5 -6 minutes from the time I tapped sync until everything was complete. Longest part of the process was sitting at a black screen with sand running through an hourglass (but I knew it was doing something since the sand kept moving).
moffattm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 04:40 PM   #239
Thane1
Connoisseur
Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by moffattm View Post
Hmm, I wonder what causes some people's Kobo's to upgrade ok while others don't.
The update worked fine on my Mini, however my Touch hung up at the 100% downloaded screen, I do use a memory card in it (though it only had 5 epubs on it at the time).

Has anyone noticed that page turning has become much slower in some cases?
Thane1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 05:54 PM   #240
jusmee
Wizard
jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libre 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thane1 View Post
Has anyone noticed that page turning has become much slower in some cases?
I have already noticed a double page turn at a chapter boundary. I suspect the first page turn was hung somehow, and the second attempt triggered 2 turns.
jusmee is offline   Reply With Quote