Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 09-26-2012, 12:15 PM   #46
Sil_liS
Wizard
Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 903 & 360+
I read fiction because I like to read and non-fiction makes me feel like I'm reading an encyclopedia.
Sil_liS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 06:18 AM   #47
uebyn
uebyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.uebyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.uebyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.uebyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.uebyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.uebyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.uebyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.uebyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.uebyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.uebyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.uebyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
I was outside a few weeks back and my neighbour was reading on his front step and I asked what he was reading. His reply of "oh, just some fiction" made me stop and think. Do we really value plain old stories so little? I know I don't.
Yes, I find it strange that people tend to put down the act of reading fiction, almost as though you have to be reading something 'important' or 'relevant' to be a properly functioning adult.

I especially love reading fiction written centuries ago, because it makes you see how, in spite of all the technological advancements, we are at the end of the day still the same fragile, delicate, struggling creatures as our ancestors used to be.
uebyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-01-2012, 08:07 AM   #48
spindlegirl
Wizard
spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra h20, Paperwhite 2017, Phone & Tablet w Moonreader
Quote:
Originally Posted by uebyn View Post
Yes, I find it strange that people tend to put down the act of reading fiction, almost as though you have to be reading something 'important' or 'relevant' to be a properly functioning adult.
I admit I sometimes feel embarrassed if I am reading something like my current read "Cowboy Crazy" (A Romance, with a Rodeo star as the male lead, and someone asks, "What are you reading?" only to find that it's not 'highbrow fiction' (which admittedly I have a hard time getting into for my 'comfort food' reading). I usually mumble, "Oh, some romance novel".

I do read a lot of favorite classics (re-read even), because they are so widely free and available, and don't blush when I say those.
spindlegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 10:58 AM   #49
uebyn
uebyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.uebyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.uebyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.uebyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.uebyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.uebyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.uebyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.uebyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.uebyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.uebyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.uebyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spindlegirl View Post
I admit I sometimes feel embarrassed if I am reading something like my current read "Cowboy Crazy"
I know what you mean. I remember I was reading Shopaholic (or something like that), it was a 'chick lit' and I felt somewhat embarrassed because I was a guy, and so I only read it at home and not in the public.

I do read a lot of what you refer to as highbrow stuff, though, mostly because they are so many of them worth reading I don't think I can ever say, 'Alright, I have finished all the classics on Earth. Now I can spare the time to read contemporary stuff.' I'm crazy like that - life is short, and I try to read as many of the classics proven over time as possible.

(By the way, I did enjoy the Shopaholic book, though I won't read it again.)
Old 10-02-2012, 04:10 PM   #50
spindlegirl
Wizard
spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Oh I do love the "highbrow fiction" too sometimes. (mostly the classics) I had called it 'highbrow' in quotes meaning that, it's funny that it's seemingly socially acceptable to read 'War and Peace', and yet Shopaholic (I enjoyed that book, my husband bought it for me many years ago), is somehow 'just junk'.

Almost all that I choose to read is "good stuff" depending on what my brain wants to receive at the time.
Advert
Old 10-03-2012, 11:28 AM   #51
uebyn

Quote:
Almost all that I choose to read is "good stuff" depending on what my brain wants to receive at the time.
So true about the brain part - sometimes I just feel like reading something light and frivolous and 'Hollywood' like (don't you think Shopaholic reads like a Hollywood movie, even before it became a movie?), in spite of my preference for classics.
Old 10-04-2012, 08:15 AM   #52
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Oh I do love the "highbrow fiction" too sometimes. (mostly the classics) I had called it 'highbrow' in quotes meaning that, it's funny that it's seemingly socially acceptable to read 'War and Peace', and yet Shopaholic (I enjoyed that book, my husband bought it for me many years ago), is somehow 'just junk'.

People that are more worried about reading what's "socially acceptable" than about reading what they enjoy deserve the joyless lives that they give themselves.

If you like the "classics" then read them. If you like Snooki's book, then read it. There is no reason to be either proud or ashamed of what you are reading, it's whether you are reading at all.

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 10:43 AM   #53
spindlegirl
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
People that are more worried about reading what's "socially acceptable" than about reading what they enjoy deserve the joyless lives that they give themselves.

If you like the "classics" then read them. If you like Snooki's book, then read it. There is no reason to be either proud or ashamed of what you are reading, it's whether you are reading at all.

Shari
Very true. While I am aware of what people deem 'socially acceptable' - I am learning not to let what other people may or may not think take away from me doing things I enjoy It takes time... sometimes there's the initial blush of a response, but other times, oh well. They asked haha. (I'm a recovering people-pleaser)

I like a bit of just about everything, and just doing what you like regardless of other people's opinions is very freeing.

Last edited by spindlegirl; 10-04-2012 at 10:47 AM.
Old 10-05-2012, 02:57 PM   #54
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
[QUOTE=HomeInMyShoes;2228163]Actually, it's an interesting question. I was outside a few weeks back and my neighbour was reading on his front step and I asked what he was reading. His reply of "oh, just some fiction" made me stop and think. Do we really value plain old stories so little? I know I don't.

No matter what the book is, highbrow or otherwise, sometimes I am just not interested in having a conversation about it. If somebody asked what I was reading and I made a reply like "just some fiction" - that would be my way of trying to avoid further conversation without actually saying "please leave me alone, I don't want to talk about it!"
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 03:25 PM   #55
ALB01
ALB01 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
For my part because it is more interesting than reality. Book and of course movies and games allow you to escape and to be something you are not for a few hours.
ALB01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 03:27 PM   #56
ALB01
ALB01 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
I don't see why anyone would be ashamed of what they were reading. I read a variety of things depending on my mood. Some are easy, maybe a bit trashy but that does not make them less enjoyable at the time. I tend not to read what is popular simply because it is popular.
ALB01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 03:42 PM   #57
spindlegirl
Wizard

It's all in the conditioning I guess. It has taken me years to shake the dust off and just DO what I like because I'd rather than do it than not - real or perceived hecklers be damned :-)

It took me most of my life to learn that, and it's freedom to just read and do what you like
Old 10-06-2012, 03:12 AM   #58
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALB01 View Post
I don't see why anyone would be ashamed of what they were reading. I read a variety of things depending on my mood. Some are easy, maybe a bit trashy but that does not make them less enjoyable at the time. I tend not to read what is popular simply because it is popular.
If that is the case may I suggest you read a little yaoi or yuri in public so that people ca see what you are reading. If you are capable of maintaining a straight face I will happily concede that you are a person that are never ashamed of what you are reading.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 08:48 AM   #59
Freeshadow
temp. out of service
Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB 623
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
If that is the case may I suggest you read a little yaoi or yuri in public so that people ca see what you are reading. If you are capable of maintaining a straight face I will happily concede that you are a person that are never ashamed of what you are reading.
Recommendations?

Although not same-sex-themed, "Stroke Material - My fuckin' lover" is a nice read too.
Freeshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 09:03 AM   #60
Matriarch
Matriarch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matriarch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matriarch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matriarch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matriarch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matriarch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matriarch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matriarch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matriarch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matriarch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matriarch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeshadow View Post
Recommendations?
ストロベリー・パニック! / Strawberry Panic! is interesting.
Matriarch is offline   Reply With Quote