Google - I'm a droid 45 21.53%
Amazon - love my KF 15 7.18%
None of the Above 48 22.97%
I resent your implying I must choose 82 39.23%
Voters: 209. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-23-2012, 04:06 PM   #1
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
Which Are You?

My daughter got her iphone 5 on Friday, and that is when I decided to root my thunderbolt - to show her how much more flexible my device is. But it really isn't. After rooting my HTC Thunderbolt and installing ics, and losing my apps (my fault, shouldn't have happened), I went to both Google and Amazon to redownload my apps. Google wasn't an issue, but Amazon was a bear! You had to start at the top and scroll down through all your apps! I had 300 apps, and it took 4 days to download them. Finally, when I tried three times to download the last 11, I called up Amazon, and told them I was done, and they were going to have to give me $28 in credit to rebuy the apps (I had gotten them all for free, but they cost up to $10 each now). Well, they did so, but it made me realize--I looked down on Apple users, because the OS was more constraining. But if Amazon came out with an android phone, it would probably download apps as easily as the Fire. And the kindle is my preferred reading device (although epub is my preferred format).

So, I have decided you can't be independent. Things are getting so platform specific, you choose by default. So, which are you trendng toward? And if you pick None of the Above, you should have a substantial amount of data from all three platforms. Since I have an android phone and a kindle fire, my movies come from Amazon, as do my apps, although I am going to go to Google Play a lot more now.
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 04:20 PM   #2
teh603
Autism Spectrum Disorder
teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android Phone
I had an iRiver Story HD with wifi, but it got stolen back in June or July and I haven't seen it since. =(
teh603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-23-2012, 05:25 PM   #3
Anabran
GUNDAM PILOT
Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire
I did not vote in your Poll because polls are pointless IMHO

but still Should'nt you have included windows 8 in your poll??

I am a Mac OS/Android user
But windows 8 will likely be a major player in the mobile device market also
Anabran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 05:37 PM   #4
Belfaborac
Wizard
Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-950
Is the poll more useless or less useless than a post saying you did not vote because all polls are useless?
Belfaborac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 05:57 PM   #5
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
All of the above?

I like to play in all the sandboxes but webOS is still my OS of choice (if I can load open webOS on some new hardware, I'll be all over it). After that Android followed by Apple. I'm itching for a Surface tablet as well.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-23-2012, 06:39 PM   #6
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I voted none of the above ... but only because I don't think I fully comprehend the question.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 06:57 PM   #7
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
I use most of them and like to choose based on what I like. I do not want to be locked into one device or company. For ebooks Apprentice Alf is my friend. So I voted I resent your implying I must choose.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 07:35 PM   #8
spindlegirl
Wizard
spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra h20, Paperwhite 2017, Phone & Tablet w Moonreader
None of the above was an actual poll choice, which I voted. I'm not a tablet user. I love my PC and netbook.
spindlegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 07:47 PM   #9
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
I'm Apple all the way, except for my ebooks.... I my eink Kindles.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 07:47 PM   #10
david_e
Seriously?
david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini, iWhatever
All of our devices are from Apple, we buy all of our music, movies, and tv shows from iTunes.
david_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 08:32 PM   #11
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I voted none of the above ... but only because I don't think I fully comprehend the question.
I think it's about phones. If so, then I should vote none of the above. We have trac phones.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 09:19 PM   #12
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
I have the following products:
Apple
iPhone
iPad
Apple TV
(and old iPads)

Microsoft
Computer OS
XBox

Amazon
Kindle 3
Kindle PW on order
Roku (not made by Amazon, but used for Amazon Video).

In terms of ecosystem constraint, I think you are really only meaningfully constrained by apps. Media constraints are less significant (although there is a convenience factor).

WRT media, the vast majority of music on my iDevices came from my CDs; I have a smattering of songs I bought from iTunes and a smaller smattering of songs I bought from Amazon. Neither of these companies use DRM, so the songs could be played on any future device.

The majority of my movie watching comes from Netflix. I've rented movies pretty much evenly from both, although I'm probably tending more towards Apple at the moment. Although if you have any time to plan, Redbox DVDs are by far the best deal.

I read exclusively in Amazon formats, although of course that could be changed if necessary. My long form reading is done on my Kindle, but for shorter works I use the Kindle app on my iPad or iPhone. (For whatever reason, I read more on the phone than on the iPad).

If I ended up getting an Android or Windows tablet and phone, most of this behavior wouldn't be affected; I would still be able to read my books on Amazon, play my music, or rent movies. And Redbox would probably still remain the best deal...

But for apps, like programs for traditional computers, you really are locked into an ecosystem. If I switched to a Mac, there are a lot of programs I would have to rebuy, and there are likely programs that wouldn't be available. The same is true of iPhone apps - if I switched to a windows or android phone, I'd have to rebuy the ones I wanted. Luckily, apps are so cheap (and the most useful ones are often free) that that's not really much of an economic loss.
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 09:41 PM   #13
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
I think it's about phones. If so, then I should vote none of the above. We have trac phones.
Tracfone Yea!
for what I was giving Verizon in 4 Months, I get a Year on 2 phones and no peak/non-peak or out of area charges.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 10:37 PM   #14
BWinmill
Nameless Being

I feel no need to identify myself with a platform, and buy according to my needs.
Old 09-23-2012, 10:42 PM   #15
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
That's also how I took it, voting none.

My wife has Net10. One child in college has StraightTalk--and a Kindle Keyboard 3G. Our adult children, living their own lives, have Android. My parents have trac phones.

I have an employer-supplied, highly locked-down, BlackBerry, but that doesn't make me a BlackBerry. If the employer took it away, I'd probably go Net10.

For mobile internet, I want news and weather. My Kindle Keyboard 3G is fine there. Between the New York Times Latest News Blog, overnight Calibre uploads, and 3G text-based-internet, my news hound desires are fully met, so I can't see the need for a smart phone.
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote