Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 06-13-2012, 09:46 AM   #16
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Are there special, super-secret-agent channels to navigate? Codewords? Handshakes? What?

Proof that you recently sacrificed a goat is also a ticket inside.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 10:01 AM   #17
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonetools
My guess is that most of the comments are from book industry insiders, who unlike the typical person, have "skin in the game" . Most of those comments are going to be "anti-settlement" or to be more precise, are going to want the settlement terms to go easier on the publishers.
I agree with you, actually.

My question is what has happened to the comments that came from people who aren't "skin-in-the-game industry biggies?" Surely more than 150 letters have been sent to the address (physical and email) that has been posted here and other places around the internet. If there's no filtering process, a few pro-settlement letters have made it through, right?

I'm not saying there's any funny business going on. I'm just saying that the numbers don't quite jive here.

Is the DoJ accepting and considering/including all comments sent to the official addresses? If so, they have more than 150 (on the date of that particular claim). If they're not... what's the criteria for inclusion? That's all I'm asking.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 06-13-2012 at 10:05 AM.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-13-2012, 10:06 AM   #18
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
My question is what has happened to the comments that came from people who aren't "skin-in-the-game industry biggies?" Surely more than 150 letters have been sent to the address (physical and email) that has been posted here and other places around the internet. If there's no filtering process, a few pro-settlement letters have made it through, right?
Maybe most people squawked loudly on the internet, but didn't actually get around to writing a letter? Maybe if multiple identical form letters were submitted, they were counted as one submission from multiple people? (It certainly wouldn't make sense to publish 100 copies of an identical message.)
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 10:07 AM   #19
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonetools View Post
My guess is that most of the comments are from book industry insiders, who unlike the typical person, have "skin in the game" .

If a "typical person" is paying for something, don't you consider that "skin-in-the-game".
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 10:11 AM   #20
morantis
Zealot
morantis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morantis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morantis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morantis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morantis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morantis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morantis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morantis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morantis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morantis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morantis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
It is just the illusion that control has been put in the people's hands.
morantis is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-13-2012, 10:12 AM   #21
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
(It certainly wouldn't make sense to publish 100 copies of an identical message.)
If that's the case, then I would expect the number of unique comments to be waaaaaay less than 150... more like 2.
Old 06-13-2012, 10:15 AM   #22
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
If that's the case, then I would expect the number of unique comments to be waaaaaay less than 150... more like 2.
Make that 3. Monkey doesn't care which way this decision goes.
Old 06-13-2012, 10:18 AM   #23
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Ok three. I can see three.

But then again, would you take the time to compose and send a formal comment if you didn't care? I'm back to 2.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 06-13-2012 at 10:24 AM.
Old 06-13-2012, 10:18 AM   #24
din155
Guru
din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Win 10 thinkpad 8in
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Make that 3. Monkey doesn't care which way this decision goes.
That will depend on whether the monkey has his skin in the game.
din155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 10:21 AM   #25
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:

But then again, would you take the time to compose and send a formal comment if you didn't care. I'm back to 2.
Point taken. You're right; I wouldn't waste time doing so. 2 it is.
Old 06-13-2012, 10:24 AM   #26
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by din155 View Post
That will depend on whether the monkey has his skin in the game.
I've actually paid $0.99 several times for some ebooks; but I'd rather buy bananas.
Old 06-13-2012, 10:29 AM   #27
stonetools
Wizard
stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad, IPhone
Quote:

But then again, would you take the time to compose and send a formal comment if you didn't care. I'm back to 2.
A lot of folks have taken the trouble to compose a formal, unique " Comment" that includes detailed argument and analysis. So far, the "pro Settlement" comment that I have seen has been a form letter that has rehashed a few general claims ("Consumers like-um low prices") with no analysis of why THIS settlement is in the public interest . Better than nothing, but not actually good.

My guess is that form letter was taken as a single Comment with multiple signatories.
stonetools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 10:46 AM   #28
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonetools View Post
My guess is that form letter was taken as a single Comment with multiple signatories.
I'm tired of guesses. I want someone to explain to me in detail, exactly how this comment period works. Are all comments accepted and considered, or are they weighted/combined? Surely it's not a secret.

Because let's face it: if 150 is a lot then it's obviously not a "come one, come all" situation. And if it's not a "come one, come all" situation, how does one make it past the velvet rope?

Last edited by DiapDealer; 06-13-2012 at 10:50 AM.
Old 06-13-2012, 10:55 AM   #29
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
I would be surprised if many readers submitted a comment. I would expect that the vast majority of comments have come from industry folks. That is the way these things tend to work.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 11:15 AM   #30
stonetools
Wizard
stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad, IPhone
Quote:
I'm tired of guesses. I want someone to explain to me in detail, exactly how this comment period works. Are all comments accepted and considered, or are they weighted/combined? Surely it's not a secret.

Because let's face it: if 150 is a lot then it's obviously not a "come one, come all" situation. And if it's not a "come one, come all" situation, how does one make it past the velvet rope?
I've looked in at the DOJ site. For the Microsoft settlement, there were 47 public comments-just as a comparision.
I think it's down to the fact that a lot of folks BS on the Internet, but don't take the trouble to compose a formal response. That takes a lot of time and energy-which most people don't want to do, since this settlement isn't crucial to their business, the way it would be for an author, a bookseller, or a publisher.
stonetools is offline   Reply With Quote