Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-31-2012, 06:25 PM   #1
touring
Connoisseur
touring began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara
Keeping track of what you've read?

I did a search but didn't find anything..

I have read quite a few books on my Touch, but can't always remember the titles that I have finished. While it does keep track nicely of finished books, the Touch seems to forget with resets (and firmware upgrades?).

How do other people deal with this?
I'm not talking about books purchased through Kobo
touring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 06:38 PM   #2
Shack70
Guru
Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 10", Honor 8 Android Phone
I use GoodReads.com
Shack70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-31-2012, 06:48 PM   #3
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I've only seen it forgetting on resets; and I end up taking the old and slow approach of manually setting books to finished post restore.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 07:46 PM   #4
jess1ca
jess1ca began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shack70 View Post
Same here. It's a fantastic site, it's free and it's very easy to use. They have interactive and fun stuff too like giveaways and I find that there are a lot of authors on Goodreads. I love that they have an iPhone app as well.
jess1ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 04:22 AM   #5
danskmacabre
Guru
danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo. Galaxy Tab S 8.4
After reading this thread, I decided to register on goodreads..
Yeah it's very interesting and handy to track down books I'd forgotten about, thanks
danskmacabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-01-2012, 04:36 AM   #6
paulsalter
Fanatic
paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD8
I recommend goodreads also, great for keeping track of everything
paulsalter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 11:20 AM   #7
beautifulsoup
Addict
beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many ereaders.
I love goodreads. I've discovered a lot of new indie authors there; authors that I will continue to follow.
beautifulsoup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 11:43 AM   #8
dmacmart
Fanatic
dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Glo, Arc, H2O, iPhone, iPad 2, (husband)Touch
I also use goodreads. I just found out you can import your books via csv. You need the isbn I think. I wish I could export my libraryf from the Kobo website.
dmacmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 07:24 PM   #9
touring
Connoisseur

Thanks for all the replies
It's a pity that the Kobo can't do it properly, and store the data online too as backup

Last edited by touring; 02-01-2012 at 08:13 PM.
Old 02-01-2012, 08:15 PM   #10
Gaffer
Gaffer is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Gaffer is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Gaffer is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Gaffer is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Gaffer is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Gaffer is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Gaffer is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Gaffer is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Gaffer is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Gaffer is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Gaffer is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

I started keeping track a few years back, by simply listing title and author in a plain text file. I keep a copy of that file on my Touch so I can refresh my memory as necessary. The nice thing about that method is it works even in airplane mode.
Gaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 11:26 PM   #11
shannont
Connoisseur
shannont has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.shannont has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.shannont has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Touch, retired Sony PR300
there is also a plug in to add to calibre for good reads that lets you load your library in calibre automatically to goodreads.com
shannont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 11:51 PM   #12
imsoawesome
Enthusiast
imsoawesome is no ebook tyro.imsoawesome is no ebook tyro.imsoawesome is no ebook tyro.imsoawesome is no ebook tyro.imsoawesome is no ebook tyro.imsoawesome is no ebook tyro.imsoawesome is no ebook tyro.imsoawesome is no ebook tyro.imsoawesome is no ebook tyro.imsoawesome is no ebook tyro.

Thank you Shack70!

I track all movies I watch on imdb by rating as see them. Since I watch about 70-90 movies released in a given year it has been irreplaceable to me as a tool.

I had my books on google books but it just didn't give me the utilities I wanted. I owe you for mentioning Good Reads! This is exactly what I wanted. I joined yesterday and added all the books I have read since I got my kobo a few months ago and some of my most beloved hard copies too!

Cheers!
imsoawesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 06:17 PM   #13
touring
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaffer View Post
I started keeping track a few years back, by simply listing title and author in a plain text file.
A little effort needed, but simple, pragmatic and accessible

Quote:
Originally Posted by shannont View Post
there is also a plug in to add to calibre for good reads
Ah I wondered about that. I don't suppose one can track books read in Calibre and then download it in some way to the Touch..
Old 02-10-2012, 01:27 AM   #14
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by touring View Post
Ah I wondered about that. I don't suppose one can track books read in Calibre and then download it in some way to the Touch..
I track the books I have read in Calibre with a custom column. This takes a yes/no mark.

You can also generate a catalog from Calibre into any book format. This can probably include this column and then be loaded on the Kobo. I haven't done this myself but there are instructions for it has it's own section in the Calibre forum.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 03:23 AM   #15
alexul
Connoisseur
alexul has a spectacular aura aboutalexul has a spectacular aura aboutalexul has a spectacular aura aboutalexul has a spectacular aura aboutalexul has a spectacular aura aboutalexul has a spectacular aura aboutalexul has a spectacular aura aboutalexul has a spectacular aura aboutalexul has a spectacular aura aboutalexul has a spectacular aura aboutalexul has a spectacular aura about

Device: PB 360, Kobo Touch
i use librarything.com. Seeing so many people using goodreads I am tempted to give it a try . Does it have an import function?
alexul is offline   Reply With Quote