Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-11-2007, 12:35 AM   #16
Robert Marquard
Delphi-Guy
Robert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheese

Device: iLiad, Palm T3
Offering Harry Potter now as ebook does not make sense. Not all translations of HP7 are out yet. This means the paper books still earn good money.
Not before late 2008 the sales will decline. Then the ebooks should be released.
Robert Marquard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 04:20 AM   #17
DigiPaperShop
CEO
DigiPaperShop began at the beginning.

Device: Waiting for the CyBook Gen 3
I have been talking to J.K Rowlings publishers and agent about the HP eBooks at the request from Laurent Picard from Bookeen. It seems they are willing to look at releasing the ebooks but the copyright and security issues have to be looked at by their legal team. They are also saying it might be delayed and looking to release all the films and then do a master release..... that could be a few years!!

I have been pushing this and hopefully the article might get more interest.
DigiPaperShop is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-11-2007, 04:30 AM   #18
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigiPaperShop View Post
I have been talking to J.K Rowlings publishers and agent about the HP eBooks at the request from Laurent Picard from Bookeen. It seems they are willing to look at releasing the ebooks but the copyright and security issues have to be looked at by their legal team. They are also saying it might be delayed and looking to release all the films and then do a master release..... that could be a few years!!

I have been pushing this and hopefully the article might get more interest.
Great work, Nick! Let's hope you're not right and that it'll take somewhat less than a few years.
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 08:43 AM   #19
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Thanks, Nick! Nice to have an update.

Do you have any impressions of whether Rowling herself is holding back the ebooks, or her publishers, or both?

I personally can't imagine why they'd bother worrying about DRM at this point. Talk about locking the barn after the horse has run out!
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 08:57 AM   #20
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pskopp View Post
They should have been released as ebooks at the same time as they were released in hardcover. They would have been able to offer them at the same price as they were selling the printed books and people who wanted them as ebooks would have paid the asking price. I would have. But I have a copy of all of them in hardcover and I will not even consider purchasing them in ebook format now (and they will probably release them in some format that is so locked up you will not even be able to change the font size).
It's a little too late as I see it. I already spent my money. Why would I want to spend it again? I'm sorry, but I am not purchasing any Harry Potter ebooks should they become legal. It's hypocritical. What I can expect to see is these ebooks being released and then the DRM removed and them distributed. I know some folks who will pirate the heck out of a protected CD in protest to the protection. I think the same sort of thing is gonna happen here if HP is released.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-11-2007, 09:34 AM   #21
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I'm sure that they'll sell very well, Jon. Look at all the people who've said here "I would have bought one if it had been available". Hopefully the chance will soon arise for all those people to "put their money where their mouth is" (as we say in this country) and prove it by retrospectively buying them.

It might be too late for many people who wanted to buy HP in ebook format. They have already spent the money allocated for HP books when they purchased paper books. Not many people are rich enough to afford 2 different formats of the same book.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 09:36 AM   #22
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
It's a little too late as I see it. I already spent my money. Why would I want to spend it again? I'm sorry, but I am not purchasing any Harry Potter ebooks should they become legal. It's hypocritical.
What is "hypocritical", IMHO, is saying "it's OK to have a pirated version of the eBook because I can't buy one legally", and then, when a legal version does eventually become available, to turn around and say "I'm not going to buy it".

I would certainly expect everybody here who's been saying that it's fine to have an illegally created eBook because they can't buy one to go out and buy one when it's released. It would be utter hypocracy for them to do otherwise.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 10:09 AM   #23
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The thing is, I spent $18 (roughly) on HP7 because Rowling said defiantly no ebook editions. To then expect us to go out and purchase the books after the fact is hypocrisy at it's best. If they had put out the ebook at the same time, I would have been able to make my choice then and get the version I wanted most. Now in order to get a legal ebook copy, I have to shell out even more money. That's just as bad as record companies releasing enhanced CDs after I've already purchased the unenhanced CD. It's just sleazy business practices to expect consumers to pay a second time for something they paid for in the first place. And given the info we had available, we didn;t have the choice to wait as it was said there was never going to be a legal electronic version released.
Old 09-11-2007, 11:26 AM   #24
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
I'll happily repurchase them for two reasons. The first is to get really good e-copies, so I don't have to wonder what the boot-legger might have omitted/corrupted without noticing.

The second, and more important, is to send a firm message that I, for one, will pay for legit e-books when they're available. I'm just one person, I know, but I figure: drop by drop the bucket fills.

Consider for a moment the message it would send to pubs if one of the hottest series in recent history, which had massive stories all over the place about pirated e-books as each volume came out, also had massive legit e-book sales when the petaQ finally got around to releasing it as a legit e-book.

Arguably the most e-pirated series still selling massive numbers of legit e-copies?

True, the pub industry is really boneheaded, but if they can ignore a message like that, then they deserve obscurity and doom.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 11:28 AM   #25
DigiPaperShop
CEO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The thing is, I spent $18 (roughly) on HP7 because Rowling said defiantly no ebook editions.
Hi

where's your source on that quote?
Old 09-11-2007, 11:37 AM   #26
DigiPaperShop
CEO

Along time ago I used to buy LP records, I then went and brought the SAME records but in CD versions and I now I can get them again in MP3 versions.

No matter what you might say if you really enjoy something you will always want to experience it in the best technology available.

SO to get the HP books in ebook format and be available to view in new and exciting products means their always a market and if that market looks good you might just find yourself updating your library again ;-)

Last edited by DigiPaperShop; 09-11-2007 at 11:41 AM. Reason: fat fingers ;-)
Old 09-11-2007, 07:25 PM   #27
LaughingVulcan
Technophile
LaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enough

Device: PRS-650 Sony, Nook Simpletouch, more legacy gear than I can remember
Quote:
Originally Posted by nekokami View Post
I suppose the USA Today article implies it, but the only quotes they have are from the publishers, who seem uninterested in ebooks for "kids" because the ones they've tried so far haven't matched Michael Creighton's ebook sales (never mind the appeal of the HP books to adults as well as kids, or the fact that they are possibly the most heavily and notoriously pirated ebook titles ever).

Note USA Today's caption next to Rowling's image: "J.K. Rowling has been tight lipped about her lack of desire to license her Harry Potter books to purchase online." "Tight lipped," or perhaps she hasn't expressed an opinion on the subject at all? I've yet to see a direct quote from Rowling or her agent on ebooks, and her interviews are generally pretty well archived and indexed by her many rabid fans.
Sorry - wasn't clear enough. What was clear to me was that Rowling apparently still has the eBook publication rights since they quoted her literary agency on it. So a source at Bloomsbury saying they want to get into eBooks isn't anywhere near proof that Potter could be published as an eBook - it's speculation at best from that top article information.

As I understand it, sometimes an author will be required to sign away eBook rights along with the print rights. I wouldn't expect that from Rowling (at least, not after Philosopher's Stone....) but you never know as far as what the contracts say about who owns the rights.

A better source: http://januarymagazine.com/2007/02/n...k-planned.html
Quote:
The e-book rumor, however, is another matter. Neil Blair, a lawyer for Rowling’s agent, made a formal announcement that there will be no e-book version of the Harry Potter books. At least, at present none are planned.
And from the source cited for that entry:
http://www.associatedcontent.com/art...lly_nixed.html
Quote:
<snip>
Blair cited worries about online piracy as one motivating reason behind the decision not to publish the new Harry Potter book in a digital format.
Piracy was a major factor in the decision, but not the only reason that Blair gave; he also cited Rowling's personal preference for printed volumes over electronic publications. Rowling has publicly stated her partiality for writing and reading works on paper rather than on-screen. In interviews, Rowling repeatedly confirms that she wrote the entire Harry Potter series longhand, and that she prefers her readers to "experience the books on paper."
<snip>
That article also talks about the Sony Reader and double-digit eBook growth (but still being small as an industry segment.)

So, as of February, it wasn't in the works.

Can that change? Sure. (And thanks to Nick for the above quotes - it's not impossible that the environment is changing.) But the above is at least one solid citation of Rowling not being in favor of eBooks.

And, in the first-post article snips - yes, economics plays a big part in it. But something also tells me that Rowling ain't hurting for cash.

At any rate, what I'm seeing as clear is that it's Ms. Rowling's decision about making an eBook happen - not Bloomsbury. (Though they and Warner Brothers might also have input into any such decision.)

Last edited by LaughingVulcan; 09-11-2007 at 07:31 PM.
LaughingVulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 08:16 PM   #28
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Thanks, these are much better references than what we usually see in discussions about Rowling and possible ebooks.

The quote from a lawyer working for Rowling's agent could still have been ambiguous (an agent could be conveying the results of negotiations with the publisher in which the publisher didn't want to support ebooks), but the remarks about Rowling's preference for her readers to experience the books on paper are more clear. However, I wish we could find the source for these remarks. A couple of media sources have repeated the claim that the author wants people to experience the books on paper, but I can't find an actual interview containing such a statement. I keep wondering if it's an urban myth. Yes, she apparently does write longhand, but is that necessarily related?
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 12:06 PM   #29
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigiPaperShop View Post
Hi

where's your source on that quote?
From a 2005 Article in USA Today

Quote:
J.K. Rowling has been tight lipped about her lack of desire to license her Harry Potter books to purchase online.
Quote:
J.K. Rowling has not permitted any of the six Potter books to be released in electronic form, not even during the peak of the e-book craze a few years ago. Neil Blair, a lawyer with Rowling's literary agency, would only say that "this has not been an area that we have sought to license"
Old 09-12-2007, 10:41 PM   #30
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I must admit that I don't see how you can translate that into "definitely no e-Book editions". The fact that the rights haven't currently been licensed does not remove the possibility of them being licensed in the future.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote