Notices

Old 05-23-2011, 12:01 AM   #1
rosajurjevics
rosajurjevics began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
inDesign/epub -- TOC missing subchapters/appears as dropdown

Hello,

I am having the following irritating problems:

1) After exporting to EPUB, my TOC appears as a series of drop-down menus (indicated by a + sign) in Digital Editions. Sometimes there are extra spaces between the chapter name and the + sign that, if clicked, reveals the subchapters.

2) Once I convert to mobi, some of the subchapters disappear ENTIRELY.

Some important info:

1) I'm using CS5.5, but the original inDesign files/inDesign book were made in CS5
2) I'm using a Mac
3) I used Calibre to convert from EPUB to mobi
4) My TOC Style, made using paragraph styles, has the following structure:
Preface
Chapter
Chapter Subheading (subchapter)

Any and all advice appreciated!!
rosajurjevics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 04:54 AM   #2
Adjust
Addict
Adjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel is

Device: ADE, iPad
All sub heading levels <i>will</i> appear as a collapsable menu in ADE.

Take a read here. Although It's for CS3, it shows you how to edit you epub files to get the results you need...
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=123439

Basiclly in the TOC.ncx file you can change the order of the toc by changing the </navpoint>s
Adjust is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-23-2011, 04:55 AM   #3
Adjust
Addict
Adjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel is

Also check out Liz Castro blog
http://www.pigsgourdsandwikis.com/
Old 05-23-2011, 07:45 AM   #4
rosajurjevics

Hello,

Thanks for responding!
So there's nothing I can do about the dropdown problem in iD? That's a real pain in the ass, because I've got over 100 chapter subheadings...

I'm afraid I don't entirely understand your documentation. So I can ditch the TOC.ncx file altogether and make a fresh TOC elsewhere?

Thanks again,
R
Old 05-23-2011, 06:52 PM   #5
Adjust
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosajurjevics View Post
Hello,

Thanks for responding!
So there's nothing I can do about the dropdown problem in iD? That's a real pain in the ass, because I've got over 100 chapter subheadings...

I'm afraid I don't entirely understand your documentation. So I can ditch the TOC.ncx file altogether and make a fresh TOC elsewhere?

Thanks again,
R
No. My documentation was just to show you how to "crack open" an epub for editing and then how to zip up again back into an epub...

You just need to edit the toc file in a text editor. (I use TextWrangler) Wordpad or something like that for PC users.

So below is what you TOC.NCX file looks like:
I've indicated what I'm talk about with red arrows and lines.
So Basicly everything has a </navpoint> at the end except where the next level appears..
TOC
Prelims</navpoint>
Level_one
Level_two</navpoint>
Level_two</navpoint>
Level_two</navpoint></navpoint>
Level_one</navpoint>
Level_one</navpoint>
Level_one
Level_two</navpoint>

So by moving the </navpoint> marker around, you get various TOC levels
Or by adding </navpoint> to the end of every line you will remove the level structure
Advert
Old 05-23-2011, 07:54 PM   #6
rosajurjevics

Oh, fantastic, now I get it! I think... I hope...
Old 05-23-2011, 08:14 PM   #7
Adjust
Addict

No problems mate. Glad it makes sense

Tags
epub, indesign, toc problem