Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 04-19-2011, 03:02 PM   #16
MrsJoseph
Loves Ellipsis...
MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wifi (broken), nook STR (returned), Kobo Touch, Sony T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkeene View Post
Get back, you hellspawn! Diablo 2 put some serious hurt in my wrists, back in the day. And to think I'll have to face down the temptation of Diablo 3 in the near future.
Try playing on a laptop...on your lap, lol! That's how I knew I was developing an addiction. I think I will give in to the temptation of D3...the screen shots & first looks have made my fingers itch.
MrsJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 03:08 PM   #17
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
Slightly off topic: Stieg Larson and Dr. Atkins prove my point that in order to be famous in our society one has to die. No one ever heard of Stieg Larson until he died then all of a sudden every one is reading his books. No one ever heard of Atkins until he died then every one is doing the diet. Thus the formula for sucess is:

Great Idea + Death = Stardom and Great idea ≠ Stardom.
That is offensive. Why would you say something like this to a person who is asking for help with a depressed mood? If you edit your post to delete your comment, I will delete this one. Deal?
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-19-2011, 03:50 PM   #18
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
I think sometimes you have to push through. Act "as if," as Dr. Melfi told Tony Soprano. Set yourself short goals, even 10 pages. Then 10 pages of a different book. So long as a book seems good, don't abandon it, but read enough of it most days (those 10 pages) to keep it current. Jettison anything that really doesn't work.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 04:30 PM   #19
dncharles
Hedonist
dncharles doesn't litterdncharles doesn't litter

Device: kindle
Is there something spectacularly and good about reading a hundred books in a year- the little line creeping across the screen, the achievement of another notch on the culture belt...?

I don't mean to diss it but it seems to me like quantity for the sake of it. Book conquest as competition? Please don't apologise for not finishing a book - it's the author's problem, not yours.

I'm a little more fussy about what I clutter up my head with- maybe a good book a month, really taken in (early morning before starting writing is best - NOT the bed at end of day!), anticipated, savored and devoured slowly like a good meal...
dncharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 04:41 PM   #20
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Quote:
Originally Posted by dncharles View Post
Is there something spectacularly and good about reading a hundred books in a year- the little line creeping across the screen, the achievement of another notch on the culture belt...?

I don't mean to diss it but it seems to me like quantity for the sake of it. Book conquest as competition? Please don't apologise for not finishing a book - it's the author's problem, not yours.

I'm a little more fussy about what I clutter up my head with- maybe a good book a month, really taken in (early morning before starting writing is best - NOT the bed at end of day!), anticipated, savored and devoured slowly like a good meal...
I can't speak for everyone but...

First of all, it's more a shared personal goal rather than a competition. I don't think any of us are doing it competitively, in the sense that those who make it are winners and the rest losers. I'm quite pleased with the reading material I've consumed this year, both in terms of quantity and content, and even if I don't make it to 100, I'm happy I chose to participate.

There's also a social aspect to shared goals. Some of us are in a MR challenge group on Goodreads, and I've made some good friends through this.

You say you're fussy about what you clutter up your head with, but as you are a self-proclaimed hedonist, I'm assuming that pleasure is an important part of the selection process. I'm no different in that sense. I choose books I think I will enjoy. Besides, there's something to be gleaned even from bad books, I think.

For me, it's not about the number so much as it is the journey. My ereader makes it so much easier to read, and since I'm already planning to enjoy that to the fullest, why not have a goal?

Short answer: Because it's fun!
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-19-2011, 05:06 PM   #21
wvcherrybomb
Sharp Shootin' Grandma
wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Fire, Literati (has been adopted by my daughter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhempel24 View Post
Anyone else get into one of these?

I don't think I've finished a book in a month! I started reading The Girl Who Kicked the Hornets nest, and just kind of stopped reading! The book is great though, which is weird. I only have about 120 pages left.
Sorry to hear you're in a funk. I hope it ends for you soon. I get into them myself and I know it's not a nice place to be.

I completely understand about not finishing books even though they are good. I have quite a few like that myself. I'm not making myself finish until the day I am really in the mood to do so.

Maybe you need to do something else that you enjoy for awhile. It's a good time of the year to get out and do some gardening. Being out in the sun always makes me feel better.
wvcherrybomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 05:08 PM   #22
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWatkinsNash View Post
Indeed. I'm not in competition with anyone but myself. I'll not read 100 books this year, but it'll be fun to see how close I get (over 75 last year). And I still read for enjoyment. No other reason for me.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 05:18 PM   #23
MrsJoseph
Loves Ellipsis...
MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wifi (broken), nook STR (returned), Kobo Touch, Sony T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWatkinsNash View Post
I can't speak for everyone but...

First of all, it's more a shared personal goal rather than a competition. I don't think any of us are doing it competitively, in the sense that those who make it are winners and the rest losers. I'm quite pleased with the reading material I've consumed this year, both in terms of quantity and content, and even if I don't make it to 100, I'm happy I chose to participate.

There's also a social aspect to shared goals. Some of us are in a MR challenge group on Goodreads, and I've made some good friends through this.

You say you're fussy about what you clutter up your head with, but as you are a self-proclaimed hedonist, I'm assuming that pleasure is an important part of the selection process. I'm no different in that sense. I choose books I think I will enjoy. Besides, there's something to be gleaned even from bad books, I think.

For me, it's not about the number so much as it is the journey. My ereader makes it so much easier to read, and since I'm already planning to enjoy that to the fullest, why not have a goal?

MrsJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 09:28 PM   #24
JaneD
Addict
JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2013
I've actually found it a bit easier to get disenchanted with a book and put it aside now that I have an ereader. I can't help but get that feeling that one of the other 100 books on my ereader might be better than the one I'm currently reading, and I get tempted to just peek into another one and see if I'll like it better.

I agree with the previous posters who suggested either putting it aside entirely and doing something completely different, or pushing through a few pages and seeing if you can't reignite your enthusiasm for it. Or at least tell yourself, "only 100 pages left..." "only 90 pages left..." and before you know it, you're done and can move on to something else.
JaneD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 09:31 PM   #25
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:

I don't think I've finished a book in a month! I started reading The Girl Who Kicked the Hornets nest, and just kind of stopped reading! The book is great though, which is weird. I only have about 120 pages left.

I think maybe I went to hard too fast into the whole read 100 books in 2011 thing, and read 30 books in the first 2-3 months and just got burnt out.

I'm sure once I get something that I really want to read again it'll start back up....but man, I was thinking about this, and thought..wow I haven't read an entire book in a month!
Sorry for that. I think you may be right about binging.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 10:56 PM   #26
jhempel24
Wizard
jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite, B&N Nook Colro
Thanks everyone! The more I think on it, the more I just binged on reading and sparked out. There are several good books that I have that I want to read. The book I'm reading is really good, but it seems anytime I read Larrsons books this happens LOL.

I don't see the reading 100 in 2011 as a competition, more as a goal, and a way for me to keep track of what I've read, and see where I'm going, it also has helped me to remember what I've read, as far as plot lines go, I tend to forget alot of what I read after a few months. And keeping track on good reads has been a great way to go!

I'll address a couple things though:

1. I'm not depressed, just kept seeing my eReader dead and not charged and kind of feeling guilty about it.

2. I might try reading multiple books, never done that. I DO think that I'm just going to hunker down and finish The Girl Who Kicked the Hornets Nest tonight, it shouldn't take more than 3 hours at the most.
jhempel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 09:57 AM   #27
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
2. I might try reading multiple books, never done that.
You won't look back! I always have more than one book going, and usually three or four. I can get tired of almost anything and need to change gears. I keep the books to different genres, i.e. a travel, a history, a mystery and a general fiction.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 11:39 AM   #28
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
Not only that, but with audio I have to rotate narrators "Hmmm ... the last book was a non-fiction read by a British male, looks like I should try for an American female reading fiction."
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 12:09 PM   #29
Shimarenda
Addict
Shimarenda can talk to the animals.Shimarenda can talk to the animals.Shimarenda can talk to the animals.Shimarenda can talk to the animals.Shimarenda can talk to the animals.Shimarenda can talk to the animals.Shimarenda can talk to the animals.Shimarenda can talk to the animals.Shimarenda can talk to the animals.Shimarenda can talk to the animals.Shimarenda can talk to the animals.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook Tablet
Quote:
I have three leisure activities that are dear to me: I write music, I read, and I play computer games. It's not unusual to go through a period where I don't really feel like doing one of these. Lately, I've been not wanting to game; I'll sit down and think that I would rather read instead. These periods eventually pass. While reading is a worthy activity, I wouldn't stress about it. Before long, you'll get the itch that only a good book can scratch.
Shimarenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 12:36 PM   #30
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
I'm in a bit of a funk. I'm trying to get a lot of school work done, and after reading all sorts of academic reading, I have found myself not in the mood to read novels lately. I've been reading a lot of manga instead of novels and short stories for the past month, to sort of lighten my mood and give me a bit of a change from reading only straight text. I have 3 or 4 books almost finished that I haven't been able to concentrate on reading (I've also been suffering from some pretty bad headaches all month), so I'll just try to wait the funk out before finishing them.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote