Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 08-02-2016, 09:15 AM   #121
mariaclaudia
Zealot
mariaclaudia is a glorious beacon of lightmariaclaudia is a glorious beacon of lightmariaclaudia is a glorious beacon of lightmariaclaudia is a glorious beacon of lightmariaclaudia is a glorious beacon of lightmariaclaudia is a glorious beacon of lightmariaclaudia is a glorious beacon of lightmariaclaudia is a glorious beacon of lightmariaclaudia is a glorious beacon of lightmariaclaudia is a glorious beacon of lightmariaclaudia is a glorious beacon of light

Device: none
Firstly this is one of my favorites plugins, very very usefull. It's true. However, I don't know why, if I do something wrong, perhaps I do not undestand the right way to use it or, maybe, it's a little issue.

Sometimes, normally I notice when I restart Calibre, the width of some colums is restored to, I guess, default values. Every time I change the width of one or more columns (including custom columns) I clic the "save column widhts" option in the View Manager plugin.

Any idea what could be the problem?

Sorry my grammar, I promise I try better.
Regards from Lima, Perú
Blessings
mariaclaudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 04:38 PM   #122
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariaclaudia View Post
Firstly this is one of my favorites plugins, very very usefull. It's true. However, I don't know why, if I do something wrong, perhaps I do not undestand the right way to use it or, maybe, it's a little issue.

Sometimes, normally I notice when I restart Calibre, the width of some colums is restored to, I guess, default values. Every time I change the width of one or more columns (including custom columns) I clic the "save column widhts" option in the View Manager plugin.

Any idea what could be the problem?

Sorry my grammar, I promise I try better.
Regards from Lima, Perú
Blessings
@mariaclaudia - it gets my vote for the Most Valuable Pi

I've also noticed an inconsistency in this regard... I think. But in my case it's been the opposite... I think.

I widen a column (usually because a a value is truncated), and I deliberately don't click "save column widths" option - next time I start calibre the column width is at that wider value.

But I can't reproduce it now

What happens if after clicking "save column widths" you select the same View?

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-18-2016, 03:53 PM   #123
nabsltd
Evangelist
nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (11th gen), Scribe
Great plugin, but of course I have a request...

Can you add a feature that will remove any search restriction or saved search when leaving a view? For most views, I don't restrict anything with View Manager, but for a couple special ones I do. When I change back to the "normal" views, the restriction stays. I don't want to set the normal views to clear all restrictions, because that makes the plugin a lot less useful.

So, what I want is something that clears the restriction when I change the view from one of my "special" ones to one of the more "normal" ones.

Thanks.
nabsltd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 07:08 PM   #124
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@nabsltd - have a look at post 111 and ensuing discussion, in particular JimmXinu's posts 117, 119.

@JimmXinu in 117 you wrote

Quote:
I am able to fix/workaround both issues by tweaking the PI code to always set the search restriction (resetting it to '' for views that don't have a search restriction).

But is that useful? Would it be better to remove the PI Search Restriction settings? Or instead show the list of Virtual Libraries and switch to the chosen VL?
I can imagine that idea of 'hooking' a View to a specific Virtual Library would be useful to some people. For me it would have to be optional, i.e. 'blank' would be in the list of Virtual Libraries. And View switching within a Virtual Library would have to be available, as it is now.

Conceptually, I would prefer the inverse, i.e. in a Virtual Library definition, I could specify the default View to use when the VL is opened.

BR
Old 08-19-2016, 01:52 PM   #125
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer
JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite(10th)
@nabsltd - View Manager doesn't have a concept of 'leaving a view'. My first thought is to suggest exactly what you say you don't want to do--apply the 'empty' restriction on your 'normal' view.

It would be technologically possible to add a 'leaving a view' concept; where 'leaving a view' is defined as 'a different VM view is being applied'--there's no way I know of to trigger the PI if you change part of the view manually. But I'm not convinced the utility of it would be greater than the complexity of adding it, when applying a view with empty restriction is so functionally similar.

You could define a View that clears the restriction, invoke it and then invoke your 'normal' view when you want it cleared. Keyboard shortcuts will speed it up, too. (My 'normal' view is mapped to the space bar, for example.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
I can imagine that idea of 'hooking' a View to a specific Virtual Library would be useful to some people. For me it would have to be optional, i.e. 'blank' would be in the list of Virtual Libraries. And View switching within a Virtual Library would have to be available, as it is now.
I agree that switching VLs instead of using restriction searches seems like a better idea.

But it doesn't sound like it's something you'd plan to use. And it's not something I'd plan to use. And you're the only person who's said anything about it. That suggests that there's not very much interest in it...

Quote:
Conceptually, I would prefer the inverse, i.e. in a Virtual Library definition, I could specify the default View to use when the VL is opened.
VM can apply a view when the library is changed because there's a library_changed() hook that's called on each plugin. I don't know if there is such a hook for changing VLs.

And ff you try putting the configuration for choosing a VM view in the VL definition code (vs the VM config), you'd practically need to add the PI to the calibre core--so I doubt that will happen. Configuring it from the VM PI config is possible, but admittedly less convenient.

Plus, while VM view can have keyboard shortcuts, I don't see anywhere to configure Virtual Libraries to keyboard shortcuts. That's a big incentive, IMO, to set VL based on VM View instead of VM View based on VL.

TL;DR: Jim's not sufficiently motivated/convinced to make either of these changes at this time.
JimmXinu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-19-2016, 03:32 PM   #126
DaltonST
Deviser
DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
And ff you try putting the configuration for choosing a VM view in the VL definition code (vs the VM config), you'd practically need to add the PI to the calibre core--so I doubt that will happen.
Job Spy+ has a gui tool for just that.

DaltonST
DaltonST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 05:26 PM   #127
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmXinu View Post
I agree that switching VLs instead of using restriction searches seems like a better idea.

But it doesn't sound like it's something you'd plan to use. And it's not something I'd plan to use. And you're the only person who's said anything about it. That suggests that there's not very much interest in it...
Correct, I just wanted to get my oar in for the 'must work as it does now' case, just in case someone was minded to be making any changes

Quote:
And ff you try putting the configuration for choosing a VM view in the VL definition code (vs the VM config), you'd practically need to add the PI to the calibre core--so I doubt that will happen. Configuring it from the VM PI config is possible, but admittedly less convenient.
Thusly my... Conceptually

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 08-19-2016 at 06:23 PM. Reason: typo
Old 10-09-2016, 08:03 PM   #128
Rellwood
Library Breeder (She/Her)
Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD (1) PW3 (4) PW3 2019 new edition (1)
Hi there! First off I want to say that I love this plug-in. I am not sure if this has been brought up and addressed but I have to ask...

Is there anyway that I can just drag the columns around in the GUI to set it the way I like then have the plug in just create a view based on the current view?

If a user has a lot of columns it takes a lot of time to click and move each on in the plug in customization, especially if I am not sure how it looks in the end.

Is there a way to just create a view based on the current view being shown?

I might be missing something because it seems like such a simple thing.

Anyhow, thanks for the hard work and time you put into the plugin!
Rellwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 01:53 AM   #129
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rellwood View Post
Hi there! First off I want to say that I love this plug-in. I am not sure if this has been brought up and addressed but I have to ask...

Is there anyway that I can just drag the columns around in the GUI to set it the way I like then have the plug in just create a view based on the current view?

If a user has a lot of columns it takes a lot of time to click and move each on in the plug in customization, especially if I am not sure how it looks in the end.

Is there a way to just create a view based on the current view being shown?

I might be missing something because it seems like such a simple thing.

Anyhow, thanks for the hard work and time you put into the plugin!
Unfortunately the person who wrote this plugin is no longer active, so the chances of it being significantly enhanced are pretty low.

I'm not keen on dragging things up and down in a list, well at least not as it operates in the CSV catalogue column selection - so I would want the Green Arrows to remain.

But creating (or amending) a View based on the current column layout and sort settings of the book list is a great idea, maybe someone will take it up. Would you even need the ability to drag up and down the list - maybe not.

BR
Old 10-11-2016, 07:25 PM   #130
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer
JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
But creating (or amending) a View based on the current column layout and sort settings of the book list is a great idea, maybe someone will take it up.
It looks like this isn't too difficult. I believe all the necessary data is already available when 'save widths' is done.

I'll take a look at it because I agree that it looks useful. But it might be a few days.
Old 10-12-2016, 05:02 AM   #131
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
It looks like this isn't too difficult. I believe all the necessary data is already available when 'save widths' is done.

I'll take a look at it because I agree that it looks useful. But it might be a few days.
- no hurry, we've done without it for five and half years- a few more days or weeks won't kill us. I'm surprised no one thought of it before, full marks to Rellwood

BR
Old 10-12-2016, 02:42 PM   #132
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer

Here's a test version that has two changes:
  • Save column widths is now Save columns shown and widths and updates both the saved widths and which columns are shown/hidden (and in what order).
  • Fix for VM discarding previously saved widths when View is edited in VM Config. I've bumped into this problem a few times.

These changes are deliberately limited in scope. If I start changing everything I think could be updated or improved, it would quickly become a complete re-write. And I don't have the energy for that right now.

Here are the other potential changes & issues I found along the way:
  • Creating a new VM View from your current view should be easier. Right now, you have to create a new View in VM, select it, then adjust your columns and sizes before saving them. Should be a one-click menu option.
  • The other VM View settings (Restriction search, Saved search, Sort) could/should be saveable with shown/widths, too.
  • There's an issue with saving Sort settings--Calibre saves a lengthy (complete?) sort history. How many of those would be saved as part of the View?
  • As previously discussed, Restriction search is outdated compared to Virtual Library settings.

Last edited by JimmXinu; 10-25-2016 at 02:59 PM. Reason: Remove obsolete test versions
Old 10-12-2016, 07:30 PM   #133
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

@JimmXinu - I won't be installing this immediately, I'm doing some renovations on one of my libraries, should finish next week. Had a quick look in my Test install, looks good.

BR
Old 10-23-2016, 09:36 PM   #134
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

@JimmXinu - I've been using your update for a few days, no problems and the [I]Save.../I] works fine - I might have called it Save column positions and widths I didn't try to test corner cases, I just used it on a task where I was doing a lot View and VL swapping.

Of the four potential changes the only one I would use is the "Create a new View based on current view', that would mainly be to nominate which columns were selected, their positions, and widths. Once a new view was created I would look at the Sorting via VM Configuration. I don't use the Restriction/Saved Search features, switching VLs and using Quick View do all I want.

Don't forget to update the version number

BR
Old 10-25-2016, 02:58 PM   #135
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer

Here's a test version that still saves columns, but adds a menu option for creating a new view, too.

Changes from released version:
  • Save column widths is now Save columns and widths and updates both the saved widths and which columns are shown/hidden (and in what order).
  • Create new View creates a new View using the current display. (Columns only, not sorting or searches).
  • Fix for VM discarding previously saved widths when View is edited in VM Config. I've bumped into this problem a few times.
  • Fix for Asc/Desc right-click menu items being disabled inappropriately in Config sometimes.
  • Bump version.

Feedback, both whether it works or not, is appreciated.

Last edited by JimmXinu; 10-26-2016 at 07:29 PM. Reason: Remove obsolete test versions