Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 04-08-2011, 10:46 PM   #1
Nada y Nadie
Enthusiast
Nada y Nadie is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Nada y Nadie is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Nada y Nadie is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Nada y Nadie is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Nada y Nadie is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Nada y Nadie is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Nada y Nadie is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Nada y Nadie is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Nada y Nadie is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Nada y Nadie is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Nada y Nadie is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: none
Why do you read non-fiction?

I know this may shock some people who read loads of fiction, but I almost never read fiction. I read non-fiction to get information. To the other non-fiction readers out there, what are your reasons for reading non-fiction?
Nada y Nadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 11:05 PM   #2
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
I read more nonfiction than fiction (and that mostly mysteries, not "literature"). I like learning new things.
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-09-2011, 12:33 AM   #3
FF2
Wizard
FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: WiFi Kindle3
I don't. I want to escape the real world - Fiction all the way!
FF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 12:59 AM   #4
CazMar
Book Geek
CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Asus MemPad 7" tablet, Nexus 5, Asus 10" tablet
Yes, I am a great non-fiction reader. Just like to find out how things work, history, philosophy, and just about anything you can think of! If I read fiction it is usually something quite frivolous like sci-fi, detective or adventure stories and is just for relaxation.
I also read a lot of tech and science news feeds (thank you Calibre!)
CazMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 03:22 AM   #5
OtterBooks
Wizard
OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4, iPad Mini/Retina
Good fiction is often more true to life than non-fiction, imo. It bears essential truths, and so forth. I enjoy some science non-fiction, though, now and then.
OtterBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-09-2011, 01:30 PM   #6
ebusinesstutor
Star Gawker
ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I read primarily fiction for pleasure, but with my business field (teaching Internet marketing), I do a LOT of non-fiction reading to keep up. That can include some books, but mainly my most up to date info in my field comes from blogs.

By the time a book comes out, it is usually 2 years out of date - an on a topic like Internet marketing, that can be huge.
ebusinesstutor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 02:28 PM   #7
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
I read non-fiction because the subject interests me.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 02:35 PM   #8
Soldim
Not so important
Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kindle 4, iPad, Kobo Glo 4
I definitely read more non-fiction than fiction; either of those I tend to read for entertainment. Often the non-fiction is more entertaining than the fiction
Soldim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 02:39 PM   #9
faithbw
Guru
faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Mini 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemurion View Post
I read non-fiction because the subject interests me.
Ditto! If a subject interests me, I'll read about it. Often I browse the non-fiction areas in a bookstore when I go and if a book looks interesting, I'll just read it even if it's not in a subject that I would normally read about. For instance, I just finished reading Some We Love, Some We Hate, Some We Eat which focuses on anthrozoology or how humans and animals interact. It's not a subject I would normally read about but the I remember being intrigued by the cover when I was in Borders a while back. I didn't buy it though because it was in hardcover and too much money for me to spend at that moment. I saw that the library had an e-book version and I read it for free.

I usually read a lot of religion books. We have a lot in our personal library plus I majored in Religion when I was in college. So I usually read a lot of books in that area.

I still read fiction too but I probably read more non-fiction than fiction.
faithbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 02:54 PM   #10
1611mac
eWanderer
1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iMac,iPad3,iPhone5-Kindle Fire,Touch,PaperWhite
I read mostly for education and research for my ministry.
1611mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 04:21 PM   #11
rePete
Connoisseur
rePete can really shake a tail feather.rePete can really shake a tail feather.rePete can really shake a tail feather.rePete can really shake a tail feather.rePete can really shake a tail feather.rePete can really shake a tail feather.rePete can really shake a tail feather.rePete can really shake a tail feather.rePete can really shake a tail feather.rePete can really shake a tail feather.rePete can really shake a tail feather.

Device: Pandigital Novel
The Bible is my top non-fiction read since I prefer to read it yearly. [There's bound to be difference of opinion on it's non-fiction/fiction status.] Other devotional reading brings a close second.

Politics is next on my reading list since I am SO wet behind the ears politically: at least being able to communicate intelligently about it. Technical reading used to come in a close third since I maintained several web pages but I threw it all out (only the web pages-not the books!!!!!) for lack of interest in maintaining it.

Biography, memoirs, history fill out the rest.

WHEN I read fiction it is usually about books, libraries, some si-fi, fantasy but time is precious so I tend not to spend too much time in this camp: escape, yes, that would be why I go there....
rePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 04:52 PM   #12
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Reading is good. Neither is more worthy than the other.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 06:06 PM   #13
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Talking

Curiosity,

required information,

connected with my work.
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 08:08 PM   #14
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
I read lots of history and biographies and a science books, everything from physics to high tech. Why? Because it's entertaining, informative and makes me think. Good fiction is the same.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 09:09 PM   #15
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
Reading is good. Neither is more worthy than the other.
I like that answer! I read lots of non-fiction - science, bios, essays, articles. I find non-fiction often keeps my attention moreso than fiction. I do enjoy fiction as well though.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
non-fiction, reading matter