Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 03-29-2011, 08:13 AM   #16
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
The ipad's screen has better color saturation and much better viewing angles. Still the nook color is a great bargain, no doubt.
Hmm dont know about that
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 09:40 AM   #17
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by snipenekkid View Post
really, that's sorta weird as when I had the chance to run them side by side this past January, I didn't see much, if any difference. Maybe there is some variation in the suppliers for the NC screens? Or it's the nicely tinted glass on the iPad? I do know I prefer the 4:3 screen of the iPad over the NC.

I wonder if cracking the case on the NC and replacing the CCFL tubes with daylight color corrected tubes would make a difference? I've see a lot of LCD panels over the years where the maker spent $0.35 less on warmer CCFL's resulting in all but killing the dynamic range/color depth on the display. But <$25 and 30-mins of my time and viola, night and day difference after swapping-in the daylight color corrected CCFL(s).

I mention that as they both use IPS panels. But of course different makers will use different materials to get to the same place, sort of

Thanks for the details.
I'm sure Dr. Soneira at DisplayMate will test a Nook 2 screen at some point-he was pretty impressed with the iPad 2 display:
http://www.displaymate.com/mobile.html
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-29-2011, 10:13 AM   #18
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
I just checked to see if it could be tethered to a Blackberry. Apparently, tether.com does not have anything to accomplish it. But as the inquiries went on, the thread started to show some interest from the tether folks. I guess, us AARP folks need to totter on down to B&N.
One of the features android 2.2 has is you can turn your phone into a mobile access point and provide internet access for any WI-FI device. that us the wayI provides access to my nook, PC, son's ipod, etc..... The nice thing about this method is there need for any drivers, justa WI-FI capable device.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worldwalker View Post
X, you might wanna check that topic spelling. It's late, and my brain is making funny little noises in the corner, so you don't want to know the thoughts "compeditor" brought to mind (especially since this is a book forum). Comps ... editors ... and the fact that free association is worth exactly what you pay for it ... well, you can figure it from there.
Ha ha, yes I'm a horrible speller and did not catch the spelling error until it was too late. However since MobileRead does not allow us to change the title is must live with that embarrassing error.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemurion View Post
Both are IPS screens - unlike most of the competition. The Nook Color actually having a slight advantage in crispness because it's 169 PPI, to the iPad's 132 PPI.
I havenit do a true side by side comparison between the two device screens, both are pretty good, but none compare to sammys Super AMOLED screen. One thing I do notice however is that the nook is crisper.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 10:17 AM   #19
WillysJeepMan
Guru
WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, KFHD7, GTab 8.4 Pro, iPadAir 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockdaMan View Post
Outstanding, actually.
That opinion is primarily affected by the price that one paid for the Pandigital Novel. You probably paid $60 or less (as I did). Then yes, it would be "outstanding relative to price". But really, the WPDN hardware is a little more than a step up from the no-name generic Chinese tablets. I doubt that anyone paying $170-$200 (the non-clearance price range) would claim that the Pandigital Novel is outstanding.

The difference in hardware between the NC and WPDN is far greater than the $50-70 difference in price.

I have an iPad1, a hacked WPDN, and now a rooted NC. WPDN is a fun little gadget to tinker around with and experiment. But the screen quality is poor. Performance is merely adequate. That doesn't mean that people can't find it usable and useful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockdaMan View Post
No it doesn't.
Being able to compare both NC and iPad1 side-by-side, I can honestly say that the NC color does indeed appear to be crisper and cleaner. Lemurion has explained why that is.

Performance of just a rooted NC (running the preloaded 2.1 version of Android) is surprisingly good. Nearly on par with the fluidity of the iPad.

I'm curious to see just how many people who buy nook colors are actually rooting them.

Last edited by WillysJeepMan; 03-29-2011 at 10:22 AM.
WillysJeepMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 11:44 AM   #20
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
I havenit do a true side by side comparison between the two device screens, both are pretty good, but none compare to sammys Super AMOLED screen. One thing I do notice however is that the nook is crisper.

=X=
Samsung's Super AMOLED displays are beautiful for colors, but they're sub-optimal for text. The problem is they use an arrangement called Pentile, that alternates double red and double blue sub-pixels with green, rather than having one for each channel in each pixel.

There's a good article on the subject on Ars Technica, here.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-29-2011, 12:00 PM   #21
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Samsung's Super AMOLED displays are beautiful for colors, but they're sub-optimal for text. The problem is they use an arrangement called Pentile, that alternates double red and double blue sub-pixels with green, rather than having one for each channel in each pixel.

There's a good article on the subject on Ars Technica, here.
I hear what you say and have seen the studies. But all I really know is what my eyes tell me.
At night when I read on the samsung I use night mode. The black is pitch black and gives off no light. The fonts are gray so they don't radiate that much and reading on it is very nice. I do see pixels but not much, the text is very crisp.

In contrast to my nook, the black is not black and it gives off light. The pixels are also noticeable.

In daylight when I watch a movie on my phone or play a game the colors come to life. The nook screen is good and without comparison is good enough, but it does not compare to the Super AMOLED.

I don't know if you have both technologies, but I've never met a person that had both and said their regular LCD is better than the Super AMOLED.

=X=
Old 03-29-2011, 12:19 PM   #22
Soulcatcher
Soulcatcher began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo, Sony prs-505, Kindle DXG, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
I don't know if you have both technologies, but I've never met a person that had both and said their regular LCD is better than the Super AMOLED.

=X=
Well, hello there, i can't stand pentile samoled screens. Although i only compared phones. My friend's Galaxy S phone screen is shit compared to my phone's lcd screen. I don't like overblown colors either. I want the highest dpi i can get, so iphone4 screen is the best for me.
Soulcatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 12:27 PM   #23
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I don't own any Super AMOLED devices - but I did compare my Droid's IPS to a friend's HTC Incredible with the Super AMOLED, and the text was noticeably crisper on the Droid.

Now if someone would actually make a Super AMOLED without that damned Pentile I'd be all over it - but I have enough trouble dealing with the focusing limitations of my own eyes to want to deal with anything that reduces DPI.
Old 03-29-2011, 12:30 PM   #24
Lemurion
eReader

One thing to mention, too is that the Galaxy S does have a 233 PPI screen as opposed to the 169 PP screen on the Nook Color.
Old 03-29-2011, 12:52 PM   #25
Angst
Cannon Fodder
Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, Kindle DX, Kindle Paperwhite
I find it ironic that once a Nook has been rooted, you can read Kindle books on the Nook.
Angst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 01:11 PM   #26
Lemurion
eReader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angst View Post
I find it ironic that once a Nook has been rooted, you can read Kindle books on the Nook.
I do it all the time - Kindle4Android is much better than the stock reader app.
Old 03-29-2011, 01:15 PM   #27
Andanzas
Out of print
Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500 (recycled), Pocketbook Inkpad X Pro
How difficult is it to root a Nook Color? Does it void the warranty?
Andanzas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 01:16 PM   #28
=X=
Wizard

Quote:
I don't own any Super AMOLED devices - but I did compare my Droid's IPS to a friend's HTC Incredible with the Super AMOLED, and the text was noticeably crisper on the Droid.

Now if someone would actually make a Super AMOLED without that damned Pentile I'd be all over it - but I have enough trouble dealing with the focusing limitations of my own eyes to want to deal with anything that reduces DPI.
The Dinc never had Super AMOLED. The first models in June had AMOLED, but due to supply issues they switched over to Sony's Super LCD. I don't know what model your friend had, but there is a difference between AMOLED, Super AMLOLED and Super LCD.

Quote:
One thing to mention, too is that the Galaxy S does have a 233 PPI screen as opposed to the 169 PP screen on the Nook Color.
Okay I didn't know the specs, that does make a difference and would explain why the Sasmung Screen does not pixilate as much.

That said the nook is still has a great screen and when I hold the screen off to a distance during the day the pixels are not so visible. It's really only at night when the device is close to my eyes.
Old 03-29-2011, 01:21 PM   #29
=X=
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andanzas View Post
How difficult is it to root a Nook Color? Does it void the warranty?
It's easy to root and restore to stock and next to impossible to brick.

Not sure if it does or doesn't, when I read their contract it made it seem like it voided the contract over the warrenty.

That said several folks have reported that they have been able to return their device even after it was rooted.

=X=
Old 03-29-2011, 01:30 PM   #30
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
When I was shopping for a 7" tab, the NC was very high on the list, with SGT a close second and Archos 70 a distant third.

What put the SGT at second was the price, but the advantage of 3G pushed it up to nearly equal with the NC. I don't have WiFi access at work, so I would have had to either tether my phone (hassle) or resort to a MyFi (expensive) so 3G was important to me.

When COSTCO/Verizon dropped the off contract price to $399, I jumped on it, and haven't regretted it; but the hacker in me still wishes I had an NC to play with. I think one of the smartest things that B&N did was make the little beastie bootable from the SD card.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ereader, ipad, nook, pad, tablets