Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 11-16-2010, 08:33 PM   #1
OlegV
OlegV began at the beginning.

Device: Onix Boox 60
Angry Onix Boox 60 repair issues in the USA

Around September 10th, 2010 my BRAND NEW (only about 2 month old) Onix Boox 60 suddenly suffered a screen problem. It started to superimpose images and text on top of each other, creating a complete visual mess that could not be cleared by powering off the device. Based on what one of the tech support that the damage was most likely to static discharge (please keep in mind that it happened overnight, with the device in a standby mode: so in the evening it was fine, and in the morning - dead). I contacted Andrew Kipor, a reseller of Onix here in the USA where I have purchased the device ( http://ebooksreader.com) who directed me to write to Daisy in China. She in turn, said that this repair will be at my expense and would cost me $80 plus shipping. However, she was trying to be nice and made arrangements for me to send the device to something that was SUPPOSED TO BE a local service center (one of the resellers as it turned out). It took a VERY long time for them to get a replacement screen, with me having a hell of a time communicate with them. Finally, I paid approximately $25 for postage and insurance and shipped my Onix for repair. I thought that my troubles were over and I will get my eBook reader soon. It was not to be… After I have recived the delivery notification, I tried contacting the repair place a number of times, with no success. While I have received an apology from Daisy of Onix and a copy of her message to Mike Yale at the repair center, berating them for delays, (over a week ago), the situation did not change and another one of my messages to Mike as of now, remains unanswered. For those interested, I'm posting my correspondence log here:

Sent: Tuesday, November 16, 2010 7:54 PM
To: 'daisy'; do_not_be@hotmail.com; 'Mike Hu'
Cc: akipor@gmail.com
Subject: RE: Onix Boox 60 warranty repair
Importance: High

Hi Daisy,

It has been over a week now since my last attempt to obtain repair status on my Onix, as well as your answer and message to Yale, none of which succeeded.
I have not heard anything from anyone since. At this point the situation is beyond ridiculous, I’m tired of waiting and playing a chasing game.

I DO NOT WANT TO WAIT ANY MORE.

Please advice urgently

Oleg

Sent: Monday, November 08, 2010 10:24 PM
To: do_not_be@hotmail.com; 'Mike Hu'
Cc: Oleg Vishnevetski; akipor@gmail.com
Subject: Onix Boox 60 warranty repair

Dear Yale and Mike,

I had to say we are really very disappointed about your service in US, especially for complaint. Distributor is not only the one selling the device and getting the profit, without considering the coming problems by the sold products. For each complaint, you are just doing the easiest way, forward the e-mails directly to us, then I have to process the complaints one by one from the end users. The time will be longer than you summary the defects up and process them with me directly. It has caused negative impact in US market already. During our cooperation, Onyx is already take you as our partner in US for promoting our brand and maintain the after sales service in US. So we are always providing special offer for you. But it seems our effort didn't get the result we want. We need to discuss about this status again, or I can contact another maintenance centre for our end users in US.

For this case, I didn't request customer to send the device back to China to save the freight cost, so I provide you a special offer and send you a separately screen together with the goods for Oleg. But I noted that after the screen arrived at the US for a long time, you still have no feedback to customer for fixing this problem, even Oleg send you several e-mails for checking the status.

Please help to solve this problem as soon as possible!!! Thanks.

Dear Oleg,

We are really sorry for the problem caused, we will fix this problem soon.

Best Regards
Daisy
www.onyx-international.com

发件人: Oleg Vishnevetski [mailtoleg@mailmpi.com]
发送时间: 2010年11月9日 10:54
收件人: do_not_be@hotmail.com; daisy@onyx-international.com
抄送: akipor@gmail.com
主题: FW: Onix Boox 60 warranty repair
重要性: 高

Hello,

It has been 2 month since I started the “procedure” of getting my Onix fixed and almost 3 weeks since it was delivered to Yale’s facility by USPS.
Since the delivery date I have sent 3 messages inquiring about the status and have not received any answers (except from Daisy, also asking Yale to let us all know the status)

I have to say that when my brand new eBook reader broke down because of “possible static” (per Yale) and when I was told that I have to spend $80 + shipping to repair the unit that I had for less than 2 month at the time, I thought it was pretty ridiculous, but agreed to have it fixed on these conditions nonetheless. However the length of time it is taking to fix it, in addition to my messages being obviously ignored, makes me wonder why in the world would anyone would want to buy this reader - the company seems to have no infrastructure for repair and maintenance in the US.

I think that this chain of messages which started as a dialog, and abruptly became a monolog should make for a very good reading on https://www.mobileread.com/

Sent: Wednesday, November 0, 2010 11:12 PM
To: 'Yale悦 Zhang张'; daisy@onyx-international.com

PLEASE let me know the status

Oleg

Sent: Wednesday, October 27, 2010 11:12 PM
To: 'Yale悦 Zhang张'; daisy@onyx-international.com

I still have not heard from you.
Please advice.

Oleg

Sent: Monday, October 25, 2010 3:29 PM
To: 'Yale悦 Zhang张'

Please let me know.

Oleg

Sent: Friday, October 22, 2010 6:27 PM
To: 'Yale悦 Zhang张'

Hi Yale,

According to USPS, my Onix was delivered to you .
Please let me know when it will be fixed and shopped back to me.

Additionally, it was having a problem with a washed out text under sunlight.
Could you please check and fix this issue as well.

Thank you

Oleg

Sent: Friday, October 15, 2010 6:21 PM
To: Oleg Vishnevetski

We just got the replacement screen yesterday, so you can go ahead and send it out.
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2010 17:59:00 -0400
Hi Yale,

Please let me know if you have received the replacement screen for my Onix Boox.
If so, I will be shipping it to you on Monday for repair.

Oleg

Sent: Thursday, September 30, 2010 2:22 AM
To: Oleg Vishnevetski; daisy@onyx-international.com; mikeqhu@gmail.com

Hello and thank you for your email. The screen parts were just sent to the customs in China, so it will be a week before they get here. In the meantime, you can send it to.

OnyxBoox
10850 Glenbarr Dr
Duluth, GA 30097

Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2010 02:17:09 -0400
Hi Yale,

It has been a week since I replied to your message (and over 2 weeks since I first inquired from Daisy in regards to this issue),
and I still have not heard any specific instructions from anyone in regards to my Onix Boox 60 repair.
I would really like to get it resolved and have my reader back.
Please contact me ASAP and kindly try to expedite the matter.

Best regards,
Oleg

Sent: Wednesday, September 22, 2010 1:05 PM
To: 'Yale Zhang'; 'daisy'; 'Mike Hu'

Hi Yale
It sounds wonderful.
Please send me the instructions.
Best regards,

Oleg

Sent: Wednesday, September 22, 2010 12:05 PM
To: Oleg Vishnevetski; 'daisy'; 'Mike Hu'

Hello Oleg,
The Onyx-International offices in China are on holiday right now, until the 24th because of Mid-Autumn festival. Then they’ll have another holiday from October 1st to the 7th for the national day holiday. Prior to the 3rd Quarter of this year, there was not a US support center. We have just established it in Atlanta, GA, and are awaiting the parts to come by in the next shipment. We have repaired only a dozen or so devices so far, but what we’ve seen is that the screen damage can occur mostly due to static discharge. If you wish, you can send it to our offices here, and we will replace the screen.
How does that sound?

Yale

Sent: Wednesday, September 22, 2010 9:02 AM
To: daisy; 'Yale Zhang'; 'Mike Hu'

Hi Daisy,

I’m at a loss here and do not know what to do.
I have not heard from anyone (people to who you’ve sent your requests) so far and my eBook is not getting fixed.

I have paid pretty high a price for it to simply sit on top of my desk and collect dust.
Also, one would think that if there is a US distribution of a product, there must be a US support and repair, since paying for shipment of the book to HK to replace the screen would be too expensive. The actual issue of the screen damage still eludes me, considering that it seemed to have happen overnight without anyone touching the screen or for that matter the actual book.
However, since you say it is what it is, I agreed to pay $80 for replacement. But let’s be reasonable here with shipping. Also lets be reasonable with the timeframes. I wrote to you over a week ago, and there still no clear information or instructions.

I hope we can resolve this matter in an expeditious and amicable manner.

Please advice…

Oleg

Sent: Monday, September 20, 2010 11:06 PM
To: 'Yale Zhang'; 'Mike Hu'
Cc: Oleg Vishnevetski

Dear Yale,

I didn't receive your replies for this e-mail, please confirm if you have received my former e-mail.
Our client Oleg has been waiting for a long time, I hope we can fix the screen broken problem in an efficient method. Thanks a lot for your reply in advance.
If you have no idea about this device, I can inform Mr Oleg to send this device to Germany Centre or Back to China. Thanks.

Holiday Notice: We will not work from Sep 22 to Sep 24 and Oct 01 to Oct 07 for the Mid-Autumn Day and the National Day Holiday.

HK ELECTRONICS FAIR 2010 (AUTUMN EDITION)
BOOTH NO.: ED-A04
DATE: 13-16 OCT.2010

Best Regards
Daisy

发件人: daisy [mailto:daisy@onyx-international.com]
发送时间: 2010年9月19日 14:31
收件人: 'Yale Zhang'; 'Mike Hu'
抄送: 'Oleg Vishnevetski'
主题: Onix Boox 60 warranty repair

Dear Yale and Mike,

Please contact with Oleg for replace a screen for him, 80USD/PC for the screen cost. Please advise if you want to buy the screen from us together with your goods. Thanks a lot.

Dear Oleg,

Yale and Mike is our after sales team in US, please contact with them for replace the screen. The freight cost is too high to send the device back to China for repair. Thanks a lot.

HK ELECTRONICS FAIR 2010 (AUTUMN EDITION)
BOOTH NO.: ED-A04
DATE: 13-16 OCT.2010

Best Regards
Daisy

发送时间: 2010年9月18日 9:16
收件人: daisy
主题: RE: Onix Boox 60 warranty repair

HI Daisy,

I still have not received any instructions from you on how to proceed with my Boox 60 repair.
Please advice.

Oleg

Sent: Thursday, September 16, 2010 12:15 AM

That's OK, let me check with the factory first.
Are you in New Jersey? I will check where I can replace the parts for you. Thanks.

Our IFA expo booth Stand 106 Hall 13, Berlin Germany
Best Regards
Daisy

发送时间: 2010年9月16日 12:11

Attached

Also, is it possible for you to ship a replacement to me, and I will ship the damaged unit back to you ?

Oleg

Sent: Wednesday, September 15, 2010 11:53 PM

Hi Oleg,

Could you please send me the bar code for this device? I'd like to check the material for this device and will process this device for you accordingly.
Attached please find the picture for bar code instruction. Thanks.

Best Regards
Daisy

发送时间: 2010年9月16日 11:48

When I read the Boox 60 under direct sunlight (on a beach for example), the screen gets washed out and streaked with every page refresh.

Oleg

Sent: Wednesday, September 15, 2010 9:57 PM
Subject: 答复: Onix Boox 60 warranty repair

Hi Oleg,

Actually, I am not sure about the meaning of the sentence below, could you please clarify for me again? Thanks a lot.
" I hope you will be able to address an issue of the screen get washed out in the bright sunlight"

Best Regards
Daisy

发送时间: 2010年9月16日 9:51
重要性: 高

While I’m not sure HOW there can be any “external force”, considering that the book was on a night table,
I still do want to go ahead and replace the screen.

Additionally, I hope you will be able to address an issue of the screen get washed out in the bright sunlight.
Please provide the instructions on how to proceed with the repair and how long will it take.
Is it possible for you to ship a replacement to me, and I will ship the damaged unit back to you ?

Oleg

Sent: Wednesday, September 15, 2010 9:03 PM

Dear Oleg,

Well received your information.
Attached please find the picture with remarks, there is external force in the red circle to make the screen broken.
Please advise if you want to replace a new screen, 80USD/PC without freight cost. Thanks.

Best Regards
Daisy

发送时间: 2010年9月15日 20:51

Hi Daisy,

The screen image is attached.

Oleg

Sent: Wednesday, September 15, 2010 5:25 AM

Dear Oleg,

Sorry for my late reply as we have go out for IFA exposition in Berlin and back from Europe Yesterday only,
Could you send me a picture for the screen? I will check the problem initially. Thanks a lot.

Best Regards
Daisy

发送时间: 2010年9月14日 21:04
收件人: daisy@onyx-international.com
抄送: akipor@gmail.com

Hi There,

I still have not heard from you regarding my Onix Boox 60 warranty repair.
Please advice.

Best regards,
Oleg Vishnevetski

Sent: Monday, September 13, 2010 9:33 AM
To: 'daisy@onyx-international.com'
Importance: High

Hi ,

I was referred to you by Andrey Kipor of ereaders-edook.com where I have purchased my Onix Boox 60 via Amazon on 06/11/2010 (receipt attached)
I have a problem that I think needs to be addressed under warranty repair.
When I picked up my e-book this morning to do some reading, it froze on the screensaver (it happened a few times before and the reboot always helped) I restarted it.. but it did not go as usual: parts of the screensaver image still stayed on the screen, and the usual boot screen was showing through bits of screensaver image. From there it got worse. No matter what I tried: restarting or resetting, the problem persisted.
I made a scan of the screen (attached) you can see what I'm dealing with.
The interesting thing is that the book was working just fine last night - I was reading pretty late.

Please help

Best regards,

Oleg Vishnevetski
Media Plexus Inc.
52 Dortmunder Drive,
Manalapan NJ 07726
-------------------------
Phone: 732-446-6969
Cell: 732-236-2266
Fax: 212-202-3700
------------------------------
e-mail: oleg@mailmpi.com
and www.FlashMishMash.com
OlegV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 12:49 PM   #2
harikamboji
harikamboji began at the beginning.

Device: onyx boox
Hi Oleg,
Sorry to hear about your experience. I also had a very unsatisfactory time dealing with the US distributor, with weeks going by before my (persistent) emails got acknowledged. At one point Mike Hu said my messages were going to his spam folder. My unit did eventually get fixed and I ended up happy, but it was like pulling teeth to get it done. (Not as bad as your troubles though!)

I would definitely recommend anyone in the US who buys the boox to use a different distributor, like Dulin's books, who's customer service guy seems really on the ball (versus the US Onyx office, onyxboox.com.)

There's no question, after this, they should refund your $80 and give you a new unit.
harikamboji is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-12-2010, 11:53 PM   #3
MikeOnyx
OnyxBoox Sales
MikeOnyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOnyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOnyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOnyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOnyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOnyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOnyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOnyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOnyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOnyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOnyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox
Response to the Issue

Hi,

This is Mike. It has been awhile since I posted due to certain situations not allowing me to. However, I do want to post a reply to this and a conclusion.

First of all, please understand one thing. Onyxboox.com is not a part of the Onyx International company, we are solely a distributor for Onyx. Just like any retailer, we buy from Onyx International at a bulk price and sell it for a very very small profit just like any retailer.

The Boox Oleg order was not even ordered from Onyxboox.com. It was ordered from http://ebooksreader.com. So due to the lack of responses from ebooksreader.com, Daisy from Onyx-International asked Onyxboox.com to help and it was done as a favor, pretty much as taking a loss of the cost of screen to fix the device.

After receiving the device, it was discovered that the device went through a lot of physical stress, a main part was the entire device was bent (picture below comparing to a normal Boox). The screen was obviously cracked in middle meaning it was physically damaged and not a manufacturing defect. It could have been caused because it was bent and cracked under the pressure of the bent device so it could have happened simply overnight when the screen finally "caved in" to the constant pressure, no pun intended.

Explaining this to Daisy and Oleg presented a problem. As because neither would care that simply putting another screen in the bent device would simply cause it to break again, and all that was cared for was a "just fix it" mentality.

So in conclusion, Onyxboox.com pretty much took a loss and just sent Oleg a brand new device. Safe to say, Onyxboox.com do not plan to repair or replace any more devices NOT purchased through Onyxboox.com any more without sort of legitimate backing from Onyx International themselves.

--Mike
Onyxboox.com
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN4709.jpg
Views:	452
Size:	399.9 KB
ID:	62732   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN4710 (1).jpg
Views:	489
Size:	370.6 KB
ID:	62733  
MikeOnyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 10:34 AM   #4
OlegV
OlegV began at the beginning.

Device: Onix Boox 60
This situation is resolved for me, but the general problem still exists

1. Thank you Daisy, Mike and whoever else was involved in this disaster. The unit indeed was replaced with a new one.

2. When I placed the unit in the box to ship it to Mike, I SWEAR it was not in the shape as shown on the images that Mike uploaded. I’m a business owner myself, and I always strive to be fair. If I did ship the unit like this, I would not mind to simply have t he screen replaced. However, this unit was most definitely NOT bent or distorted when it left my house. This was a couple of month old unit that was well taken care of. As a matter of fact I have a second eBook reader BeBook (classic, NOT Neo) – and for the 2 years that I had it, I have never had ANY problem like this.

3. Before Mike and http://Onixboox.com was even involved in this mess, I contacted Andrey Kipor of http://ebooksreaser.com and advised him of the problem. The following e-mail was sent to him:

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Sunday, September 12, 2010 3:17 PM
To: 'akipor@gmail.com'
Subject: RE: Onyx Boox 60 http://ereaders-ebook.com

HI Andrey,

I'm very sorry to trouble you.. However, I now have a problem that I think needs to be addressed under warranty repair.
When I picked up my e-book this morning to do some reading, it froze on the screensaver (it happened a few times before and the reboot always helped) I restarted it.. but it did not go as usual: parts of the screensaver image still stayed on the screen, and the usual boot screen was showing through bits of screensaver image. From there it got worse. No matter what I tried: restarting or resetting, the problem persisted.
I made a scan of the screen and attaching it with this message so you can see what I'm dealing with.
The interesting thing is that the book was working just fine last night - I was reading pretty late.

Please help

Oleg
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

To which I received the following response:

Xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
-----Original Message-----
Sent: Monday, September 13, 2010 2:38 AM
Subject: Re: Onyx Boox 60 http://ereaders-ebook.com

Hello Oleg,

Pls, contact daisy@onyx-international.com with this problem,

Regards,

Andrey
Xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

That is exactly what I did, and that was what started the whole ordeal.
ONIX headhunters in China directed me to send the unit to Mike and they were presented as a USA service center.

I’m glad that this situation was resolved, and I’m grateful to all involved finding a solution. BUT – THE PROBLEM FOR ALL ONIX OWNWERS STILL REMAINS.

Quoting Mike:

“Onyxboox.com is not a part of the Onyx International company, we are solely a distributor for Onyx. Just like any retailer, we buy from Onyx International at a bulk price and sell it for a very very small profit just like any retailer.”

And:

“Safe to say, Onyxboox.com do not plan to repair or replace any more devices NOT purchased through Onyxboox.com any more”

Well, where does it leave a consumer? Pretty much without any support if something goes wrong. Onix Boox produced a good little device, which found its niche on the US market. The problem is that they did not establish any warranty and post-warranty repair and maintenance procedure. Neither did they create any service infrastructure in the US. I do not think it is fair to spend months trying to figure out how and where the reader should be fixed, corresponding with people in US and China.
THIS should be a non-issue. If a device is sold in the US, there must be a centralized service solution in the US as well. Anything less is bad business.
OlegV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 10:57 AM   #5
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
I agree the situation between Onyx and the Service center must be resolved. The main problem in your situation was the damaged device. Mike was telling them that just replacing the display int he bent device (no matter when it got bent) would just result in another broken display. That would be no good to you and would not be good for Onyx if repaired devices failed quickly.

They kept saying just replace it. Mike wouldn't do that and wanted to swap the whole device but they wouldn't authorize that.

When it arrived bent and you confirmed it did not leave you like that then it should have become a claim to the carrier. But of course that would have taken even longer
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-03-2012, 11:42 PM   #6
MikeOnyx
OnyxBoox Sales
MikeOnyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOnyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOnyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOnyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOnyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOnyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOnyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOnyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOnyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOnyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOnyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox
An update on this old thread

Hi everyone. Yale here at Onyxboox.com. I just wanted to give everyone an update on this case. Since Andrey was no longer selling the devices, we replaced Oleg's with a new ebook reader and ate the cost of this device. The bent chassis was useless and had to be disposed. This is not the first time we had to service an out-of-territory device. There have been many Chinese users in the US and Canada who purchased their Boox devices when they were visiting China. We had also helped service their devices instead of asking them to send them back to the manufacturer.

Note: If you purchased your boox device at a site other than our website, and you are in the US, we can still honor the original warranty and service them.
MikeOnyx is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boox, boox60, onix, screen problem, static