Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 03-15-2013, 02:09 PM   #15931
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
Sorry, I know nothing about the movie. I read and enjoyed the novel back in 2008 and its protagonists were adults, not teenagers. It was similar in some respects to Puppet Masters (Heinlein). It was certainly not similar to Twilight (Meyer).

Ok, perhaps they were "adults" in the move preview... be we are talking 20 somethings. Or barely 20ish.

pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 02:20 PM   #15932
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool Yikes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Ok, perhaps they were "adults" in the move preview... be we are talking 20 somethings. Or barely 20ish.

Yikes! I just viewed the trailer. All I can say is read the novel , forget the movie!

alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-15-2013, 02:33 PM   #15933
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
I am currently reading Flag in Exile on my Kindle.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	exile.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	19.5 KB
ID:	102911  
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 03:35 PM   #15934
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
I've started Joyce Carol Oates' The Accursed - I admit I was intrigued by a review that announced Oates had finally written a vampire novel. It's a very odd read - dealing with events that occurred at Princeton around 1905 - with "real life" characters, such as Woodrow Wilson and Upton Sinclair, and actual historical events -- with an added curse thrown in. The writing style is intentionally archaic -- much like her style in Bellefleur and The Mysteries of Winterthurn - and she can channel Henry James' elongated sentence syntax quite handily. The tale is related by an unreliable historian - and so far I've encountered lynchings, a spectral bride, a demon bridegroom, and numerous "vampiric" manisfestations of the dead. Not to mention Wilson's hypochondria and opiate addiction. Quite a fun & intriguing read!
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 04:33 PM   #15935
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool Diana Rowland & Carolyn Keene (Mildred A Wirt)

Quote:
Frost Burned was quite good and was a really enjoyable read, as was The Mystery of the Ivory Charm.

Now onto the 3rd selection in the Tom Corbett Omnibus, On the Trail of the Space Pirates by Carey Rockwell and the 2nd of the Steampunk series, Tales of the Ketty Jay by Chris Wooding, The Black Lung Captain.
I was quite impressed by On the Trail of the Space Pirates, as it turned out to be a pretty good space opera and still stayed within the parameters of the old TV show!

I also had a lot of fun reading The Black Lung Captain and its daemonic content got me in the mood to revisit Diana Rowland's Kara Gillian series with the 3rd book, Secrets of the Demon which is up next!

I'm also going to read the 14th Nancy Drew Mystery, The Whispering Statue!

alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-15-2013, 04:41 PM   #15936
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Next up: Subterranean Scalzi Bundle by John Scalzi. An omnibus of some of his shorter works that I bought in November 2012.
I really enjoyed the fiction in this bundle. The collection of his blog posts on writing was OK, but not really something I'm interested in, so I skipped most of it.

Next up: World of the Starwolves by Edmond Hamilton. The third in this classic series that I bought from Baen back in August 2008!

The first two were OK to good. This one's looking good.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 09:19 PM   #15937
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazella20 View Post
A beautifully written novel, the author's explicit way of describing the imagery and landscape is so beautiful. The ending was tragic and surprising yet fitting.
Succinctly and accurately put. And the answer to your question:

Spoiler:
It is Mattie's voice. It's the "twist" of the story.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 01:16 AM   #15938
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
I am really enjoying Ariana Franklin's Mistress of the Art of Death series, a mystery series about a female Sicilian anatomist set in England of the 1100's
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 01:31 AM   #15939
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
This. No-one should study a Shakespeare play without first seeing it actually performed. Even if only a good film version.
My Mom would agree with you there pdurrant. When she was in High School she had to read Julius Caesar for class and thought it boring, then yrs later she saw a performance on TV of the play and it was a whole other situation.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 01:35 AM   #15940
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
I really enjoyed the fiction in this bundle. The collection of his blog posts on writing was OK, but not really something I'm interested in, so I skipped most of it.

Next up: World of the Starwolves by Edmond Hamilton. The third in this classic series that I bought from Baen back in August 2008!

The first two were OK to good. This one's looking good.
I agree Mr. Hamilton is a good read. I picked up a copy of his "City at world's end" when the library in the town I was living in at the time had a book sale (since have gotten an ebook version at Manybooks) and a few yrs ago there was a collection of his stories for free at Phoenix Pick that I got.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 03:39 AM   #15941
Gazella
Wizard
Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb72 View Post
Succinctly and accurately put. And the answer to your question:

Spoiler:
It is Mattie's voice. It's the "twist" of the story.
That's what I suspected but wanted to make sure. Thanks!
Gazella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 05:01 AM   #15942
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Yes, a fun space-operaish adventure.

Next up: Lens of the World by R. A. MacAvoy. This was part of a mass fictionwise order in May 2011.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 05:15 AM   #15943
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Currently reading The Best Science Fiction and Fantasy of the Year Volume Six.

So far: The Case of Death and Honey by Neil Gaiman is an excellent bit of Sherlock Holmes fiction involving death and bees (somewhat obviously).

The Cartographer Wasps and the Anarchist Bees by E. Lily Yu is, as described in the title, also about bees, though more as metaphor for human society -- very good.

Tidal Forces by Caitlin R. Kiernan was too abstract for me, and I ended up skipping it after a few pages.

Younger Women by Karen Joy Fowler was a surprisingly decent and sinister take on the "young vampire in love" story.

It's been a good, but not yet excellent, short story collection, with Neil Gaiman's offering as a real standout.

Last edited by carld; 03-16-2013 at 05:17 AM.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 06:25 AM   #15944
Joy736
Addict
Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy736 View Post
Next up: Spying in high heels by Gemma Halliday.
What an enjoyable read! It's the perfect combination of some of my favourite genres: chicklit, mysterie and romance. Next up: The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer.
Joy736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 06:52 AM   #15945
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Sorry, I know nothing about the movie. I read and enjoyed the novel back in 2008 and its protagonists were adults, not teenagers. It was similar in some respects to Puppet Masters (Heinlein). It was certainly not similar to Twilight (Meyer).

I agree that the novel Host by Stephenie Meyer has significant differences to her Twilight series - the characters are adult and the telling seemed directed at an older audience. However, it still did have a significant romance aspect, and ... let's just say she's not offering any surprises there.

I thought the book opened well, it is an interesting idea. Then I found it slow going for a while, but it finally picked up again in the last third. I'm not in a hurry to read it again, but not sorry to have read it once.

Guess it's not surprising that any movie adaptation would aim at a lower age bracket than the book - presumably targeting the audience that went to Twilight. When I read the novel I never got the impression that that was what Meyer intended.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote