Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 08-01-2017, 01:55 PM   #16
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
That's not always possible. I like a tight line height and a subscript/superscript would change the line height. Nothing can be done about it.

It's like a larger first letter on a Kindle with KF8. That first line is going to have the line-height different from the rest of the lines and nothing can be done about it.
line-height: 0; seems to work just fine for me for subscript/superscript/raised caps. I don't care how KF8 works.
Attached Files
File Type: epub untitled.epub (2.4 KB, 216 views)
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 03:46 PM   #17
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle91 View Post
Does kindle not support "float" for those large initial letters??
Float doesn't help with correct sizing of drop caps. (Which should be sized from the cap height of the first line to the base line of the last line of the drop.)
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 11:11 PM   #18
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
line-height: 0; seems to work just fine for me for subscript/superscript/raised caps. I don't care how KF8 works.
Doug:

If you are dealing with an environment in which you have one font for the drop, and another for the body--which, in turn, can be changed--there's really no good way to address this in eBooks. Every different font has different line heights, x-heights, ascenders, descenders and so forth. Thus, whilst in print you can adapt the two, to get a perfect drop, in eBooks, you're screwed.

I would add that whilst you can go bonkers and write a BOATLOAD of media queries for KF8 and KF7, to work around this SOMEWHAT competently, it taks hours to do for each book, if you're using different drop and body fonts, or a different font for the drop, yadda, yadda, yadda.

Offered solely FWIW.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 03:33 AM   #19
GrannyGrump
Obsessively Dedicated...
GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T2, ADE on PC
Also to note that even simple Large Initial (Up) Caps will increase the line-height of that first line, so that it will often display with a larger gap than the other lines.

Even if you do set line-height to zero, and height: 0. This happens to me if I use a font size any larger than 130%. That feels very restrictive!

Why oh why does it feel like they want to render in the old vanilla-plain-text of 20 years ago???

Last edited by GrannyGrump; 08-09-2017 at 03:40 AM.
GrannyGrump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 05:25 AM   #20
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Amazon's ignoring of line-height to reduce the line height is just wrong. It makes some eBooks look awful when you get a large first letter. Some books do this not only at the first paragraph, but at the first paragraph after a section break.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 07:40 AM   #21
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Amazon's ignoring of line-height to reduce the line height is just wrong. It makes some eBooks look awful when you get a large first letter. Some books do this not only at the first paragraph, but at the first paragraph after a section break.
This was an EPUB3 thread, in the EPUB forum. I felt quite confident ignoring any possible Kindlebook quirks, with regard to the specs. In my EPUB readers, the line-height trick works for me with raised caps and (sub|super)scripts. But maybe that's because I don't typically use many different fonts (and only use a 3-4em font-size for raised-caps). If the spacing is still different after that, then it's too subtle for my eyes to care about. But regardless ... I see now that pdurrant's wishes were to not have to diddle the line-height attribute when dealing with (sub|super)scripts in the first place.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
asin, epub 3, metadata, onix