Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 08-04-2017, 04:14 AM   #16
LucyOne
Librocubicularist
LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook InkPad 3 & Touch HD 3, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle Paperwhite 5
I tried Koreader on my Pocketbook once. Unfortunately, it didn't have a zoom function. I don't know if that has changed, but if you need it, go with the inkpad. Your description also sounds as if you could do with a larger screen. There shouldn't be too much ghosting, as you can also configure the refresh rate. Some users in a German forum who bought the Inkpad 2 seem to be pretty happy with it. There is more feedback on the Kobo because it is more widely distributed.
LucyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 07:27 PM   #17
Alanon
Connoisseur
Alanon is clearly one to watchAlanon is clearly one to watchAlanon is clearly one to watchAlanon is clearly one to watchAlanon is clearly one to watchAlanon is clearly one to watchAlanon is clearly one to watchAlanon is clearly one to watchAlanon is clearly one to watchAlanon is clearly one to watchAlanon is clearly one to watch

Device: Kobo Aura One
Just bit the bullet a few days ago, and got the Kobo Aura One.

After reading some Russian user reviews, it seems that some folks weren't satisfied with the speed of the PocketBook or the screen contrast overall, so that helped me decide. Folks were complaining of not only the light gray letters, but a kind of dirty white background, which I found a rather unfortunate combo. I knew that I'd be wondering whether I'd made the right choice of screen or not regardless of what I chose, so it was safer to just go with Carta.

While my Kobo does seem to suffer from the green discoloration in the ComfortLight bottom led, the frontlight itself is evenly distributed, so it's not a problem, just a shame. I'd thought it a gimmick, but the automatic lighting combo makes things rather comfortable to read, and the blotch itself is only visible under very specific circumstances and frontlight/bluelight ratio, so it's nothing worthy of going through the ordeal of customer support.

I figured that the potential lack of memory could be worked around, and I was right. After playing around with it, I managed to whittle down my comics and needed books to a comfortable size, with room to spare. The battery does appear to be on the light side, but that's not an issue, more of an observation. The nickel interface is pretty, but surprisingly useless if you don't use patches, or buy from Kobo. It's a pitty that KOReader is a bit too spartan, but that's just a minor gripe compared to my original concerns.

Otherwise, KOReader is a dream, 85% of PDF's that I've thrown at it so far just seem to work as good as epubs, the heavier unoptimized PDF's that are slow or just not as good work perfectly as DjVu's, which was another lovely surprise! I've just not been able to find a flaw with the design and behavior.

I'm a happy-go-lucky scamp!
Alanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-21-2017, 08:17 PM   #18
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanon View Post
Just bit the bullet a few days ago, and got the Kobo Aura One.

After reading some Russian user reviews, it seems that some folks weren't satisfied with the speed of the PocketBook or the screen contrast overall, so that helped me decide. Folks were complaining of not only the light gray letters, but a kind of dirty white background, which I found a rather unfortunate combo. I knew that I'd be wondering whether I'd made the right choice of screen or not regardless of what I chose, so it was safer to just go with Carta.

While my Kobo does seem to suffer from the green discoloration in the ComfortLight bottom led, the frontlight itself is evenly distributed, so it's not a problem, just a shame. I'd thought it a gimmick, but the automatic lighting combo makes things rather comfortable to read, and the blotch itself is only visible under very specific circumstances and frontlight/bluelight ratio, so it's nothing worthy of going through the ordeal of customer support.

I figured that the potential lack of memory could be worked around, and I was right. After playing around with it, I managed to whittle down my comics and needed books to a comfortable size, with room to spare. The battery does appear to be on the light side, but that's not an issue, more of an observation. The nickel interface is pretty, but surprisingly useless if you don't use patches, or buy from Kobo. It's a pitty that KOReader is a bit too spartan, but that's just a minor gripe compared to my original concerns.

Otherwise, KOReader is a dream, 85% of PDF's that I've thrown at it so far just seem to work as good as epubs, the heavier unoptimized PDF's that are slow or just not as good work perfectly as DjVu's, which was another lovely surprise! I've just not been able to find a flaw with the design and behavior.

I'm a happy-go-lucky scamp!
Great. Now wander over to the Kobo forum for help with the automatic light.
It may can be turned off but I don't know for sure.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 09:25 PM   #19
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
I saw a Voyage and an H2o and a One recently in-store. They're all nice but the One was the nicest.

Edit: saw your last post. The right decision IMO. Just hope you don't get a lemon. I'd use Coolreader on it.
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote