Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-12-2012, 10:55 AM   #1
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
Who is still on the fence about keeping their PW?

That's the point I'm at now. I'm really going back and forth on it, but I think I'm probably going to keep it and see what happens in the coming months and try for a replacement if they fix the issue. My replacement looks pretty good today. The main issue is a faint pink blob and overall hue, but it isn't too bad and I think I can live with it.

I'm not going to try another replacement as I do believe the blotchy color issue is a problem on every PW. Some may be worse than others, and some people might not even see it, but I believe they all suffer from this issue.

I thought about going back to my touch and using a light, but I prefer using my PW to that option.

It doesn't help that it's so changeable either. Today I turned it on and it actually looks pretty good, but who knows if it will stay that way. I guess I'll have a better idea over the next 30 days. Part of me keeps hoping over the next month it somehow magically improves.

Anyone else still on the fence about whether or not to keep their PW?
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 11:08 AM   #2
jswinden
Nameless Being

I would say the test for me was: Can I read on the PW for at least a few hours at a time without any eyestrain and without being distracted by the screen so much that it noticeably slows down my reading speed?

If you can say YES to that question then keep it. If you have to answer NO then return it.

I had to reluctantly answer NO, but many others say YES.

I'm sure you will get a lot of replies from people who have never even seen a PW other than photos posted on the internet, which doesn't count. But only you can decide if the PW works for your reading experiences.
Old 10-12-2012, 11:15 AM   #3
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Here's the catch, I can live with it if it stays the way it is now, but from what I experienced with my first one it suddenly developed a pink blotch in the left corner. For me it's become "I can live with it if it stays like this". Pretty crazy to have so much doubt about whether it will or not, but that's the main reason why I'm still on the fence, I guess.

I think right now I'll give my replacement 30 days and see if it gets worse or stays the same. Or magically gets better -the option I secretly hope for! haha.
Old 10-12-2012, 11:16 AM   #4
soondai
Guru
soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite
Is there a 30 day limit on returning the cover as well? My cover shipped on the 2nd, bit I'm still not scheduled to get the kindle until the 26th-30th. I'd like to play with the reader for a week or two when I get it if the screen is iffy at all, but obviously won't want the cover if the reader doesn't work out.
soondai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 11:33 AM   #5
johnnyb
Cloud Reader
johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle Scribe, iPad Pro 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by soondai View Post
Is there a 30 day limit on returning the cover as well? My cover shipped on the 2nd, bit I'm still not scheduled to get the kindle until the 26th-30th. I'd like to play with the reader for a week or two when I get it if the screen is iffy at all, but obviously won't want the cover if the reader doesn't work out.
Sure, but why don't you send the cover back and reorder...
I mean, Mazon could have figured that out...
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 11:47 AM   #6
soondai
Guru
soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite
Too much hassle, homie
soondai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 11:53 AM   #7
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered

Quote:
Originally Posted by soondai View Post
Too much hassle, homie
I would probably call Amazon and explain that you received the case weeks earlier than your PW and ask them if your return period could be extended on the case if for some reason you weren't happy with the PW. I'm pretty sure they would understand and be willing to make an exception.
Old 10-12-2012, 08:50 PM   #8
iJn
iJn is kind to children and small, furry animalsiJn is kind to children and small, furry animalsiJn is kind to children and small, furry animalsiJn is kind to children and small, furry animalsiJn is kind to children and small, furry animalsiJn is kind to children and small, furry animalsiJn is kind to children and small, furry animalsiJn is kind to children and small, furry animalsiJn is kind to children and small, furry animalsiJn is kind to children and small, furry animalsiJn is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Kindle Touch
I'm on the fence about buying one. When Amazon announced the PW I was really excited, but have now read so many negative reviews that I'm sure if I got one, I'd overanalyze the screen since I know what all of the problem areas are.

For now I'll continue to wait and see. Perhaps there's a problem that Amazon's aware of and a future shipment will have a higher rate of satisfied buyers.
iJn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 09:01 PM   #9
wystearya
Enthusiast
wystearya has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.wystearya has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.wystearya has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.wystearya has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.wystearya has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I was on the fence until today. Admittedly it only took me a few days to decide. But my issue was more about some odd lines of light on my screen. Otherwise I wouldn't have bothered. I really hope the replacement will be better, but I have read here about replacements still not being good. :/
wystearya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 09:12 PM   #10
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
Quote:
Originally Posted by iJn View Post
For now I'll continue to wait and see. Perhaps there's a problem that Amazon's aware of and a future shipment will have a higher rate of satisfied buyers.
With electronic items, there used to almost always be a tiny "Rev. 1.0" etched in the circuit board of those first sold, but later there would be a Rev. 1.1, Rev 2.0, etc. -- with exactly the same model number and specifications. I expect something equivalent still happens even if they don't always etch the Rev number in.

Amazon has historically had problems with cases. I have a Kindle Keyboard lighted case as a free replacement for a defective "Rev 1.0" Kindle Keyboard non-lighted case. For my purposes, the lighted case is fine. Uneven light does not mean, for me, bad light. I like that whenever it goes dark -- sometimes in the subway -- I can whip out a light, even or otherwise.

If I owned a good but imperfect Paperwhite, I might keep it with the idea that in nine months or so, by which time some other minor flaw might arise, I'll return it for warranty replacement. By then, I think that even a reconditioned replacement will include subtle improvements.
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 09:16 PM   #11
johnnyb
Cloud Reader
johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle Scribe, iPad Pro 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparklemotion View Post
I would probably call Amazon and explain that you received the case weeks earlier than your PW and ask them if your return period could be extended on the case if for some reason you weren't happy with the PW. I'm pretty sure they would understand and be willing to make an exception.
Like he said, Too much hassle, homie
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 10:27 PM   #12
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
If you can clearly read the fonts and enjoy your reading experience, maybe you should overlook that very faint shadow somewhere in the margins.

Remember, the replacement may have technicolor clouds.

Maybe these units are beta test models for the next firmware upgrade which will convert them into eInk color models.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 10:59 PM   #13
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
I'm loving my PW. I've already given my Touch away.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 03:04 AM   #14
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
I'm leaning toward keeping my original. It's pretty good, with only one small area of a slight hue, and far better than the day-glo green replacement. Since the bulk of my reading takes place with some type of natural light, the advantage of the whiter background and crisp fonts wins over the old green-gray eink background. If it becomes bothersome for reading in low light I will use my Nexus 7.

Last edited by Skydog; 10-13-2012 at 03:06 AM.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 09:39 AM   #15
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
I'm leaning toward keeping my original. It's pretty good, with only one small area of a slight hue, and far better than the day-glo green replacement. Since the bulk of my reading takes place with some type of natural light, the advantage of the whiter background and crisp fonts wins over the old green-gray eink background. If it becomes bothersome for reading in low light I will use my Nexus 7.
This is pretty much how I feel about my replacement. I've read on it for a few nights now, a couple of hours each night, and it's actually pretty good. The hue on it is pretty minor and in the day it looks fine. I'll give it 30 days and see if it stays this way and keep it if it does.

I do have a kindle fire I can read on at night too, but I prefer the PW for reading so far. My original with glowing speck I'll send back this week.