Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > ePub Books

Notices

Old 02-21-2010, 10:03 AM   #1
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Post Benson, E.F.: Mapp and Lucia Omnibus. v6. 25 Nov 2012

An omnibus edition of the "Mapp and Lucia" stories of E.F. Benson, published between 1920 and 1939.

Emmeline Lucas, known to her friends as "Lucia", is the acknowledged leader of cultural and social life in her village of Riseholme. Spiteful and vindictive Elizabeth Mapp likewise (although less accurately) regards herself as the leading light in the social world of the small seaside town of Tilling. Both Mapp and Lucia are gross hypocrites, snobs, egotists, and bullies, but carry out their respective schemes in very different ways.

This wonderful series of books, written between 1920 and 1939, is a humorous account of the scheming, back-stabbing social world of "one-upmanship" of the English upper classes in 1920s and 30s England. The first two books are about Lucia and Mapp separately (Benson had no thought of a series at the time), but then things really take off when he brings his two wonderful creations together in the seaside town of Tilling (heavily based on the town of Rye in Sussex, where Benson lived for many years).

The book in this omnibus are:
  • Queen Lucia (1920)
  • Miss Mapp (1922)
  • Lucia in London (1927)
  • The Male Impersonator (1929 Short Story)
  • Desirable Residences (1929 Short Story)
  • Mapp and Lucia (1931)
  • Lucia's Progress (1935, also known as Worshipful Lucia)
  • Trouble for Lucia (1939)

These are some of my very favourite books. I hope that you enjoy them as much as I do.

EDIT: 10 Nov 07

Extensive reformatting and improved layour. Cover picure added. Uploaded v2.

EDIT: 24 Feb 08

More formatting improvements. Uploaded v3.

EDIT: 27 Mar 08

Replaced "Queen Lucia" with a new version to sort out an issue with incorrect paragraph breaks. Uploaded v4.

EDIT: 21 Feb 10

Sorted out some formatting issues with the book which prevented a clean conversion to ePub format. Replaced the cover image. Uploaded v5.

EDIT: 25 Nov 12

Fully proofed against a printed edition and reformatted. Added the short story, "Desirable Residences". Uploaded v6. I would now regard this as a finished work; if you find even the smallest problem with it, please let me know.

Previous download count: 813
This work is assumed to be in the Life+70 public domain OR the copyright holder has given specific permission for distribution. Copyright laws differ throughout the world, and it may still be under copyright in some countries. Before downloading, please check your country's copyright laws. If the book is under copyright in your country, do not download or redistribute this work.

To report a copyright violation you can contact us here.
Attached Files
File Type: epub Mapp and Lucia Omnibus.epub (1.31 MB, 2168 views)

Last edited by HarryT; 11-25-2012 at 11:36 AM.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 12:53 AM   #2
Kattermole
Kattermole began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone
Smile Mapp & Lucinda.

Thank you so much for this. It's a favorite series. :-)

Kattermole.
Kattermole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 04:57 PM   #3
pendragginp
Guru
pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Several
Ditto that, thank you! =)
pendragginp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 12:13 PM   #4
ChrisO
ChrisO began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Pocket
I registered on this site solely because I heard through the grapevine that the Lucia series could be found here. Thank you!
ChrisO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 10:50 PM   #5
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Wonderful, thanks so much!
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 01:39 PM   #6
Rajmahid
Enthusiast
Rajmahid plays well with othersRajmahid plays well with othersRajmahid plays well with othersRajmahid plays well with othersRajmahid plays well with othersRajmahid plays well with othersRajmahid plays well with othersRajmahid plays well with othersRajmahid plays well with othersRajmahid plays well with othersRajmahid plays well with others

Device: Kindle
You've done a spectacular job with the M&L Omnibus, thank you!

I have but one small issue, perhaps you can assist with it. When converting your ePub to Mobi via Calibre (ver. 0.7.43), the smarten punctuation parameter I spcify for the conversion process, most of the books' quotation marks at the beginning of a sentence are displayed backwards -- the back-ends are fine. The identical phenomenon occurs Calibre's smart quotes through ePub also. Most unusual; I'd appreciate any feedback regarding this issue from a more informed user than I.

Other than that, I'm in love with Benson's 'Lucia' series -- what a hidden treasure -- and your formatting is the very best I've seen -- the "backwards quote" notwithstanding

Last edited by Rajmahid; 02-01-2011 at 01:47 PM.
Rajmahid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 01:46 PM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Might be best to ask in the Calibre forum.
Old 02-01-2011, 02:41 PM   #8
Rajmahid
Enthusiast
Rajmahid plays well with othersRajmahid plays well with othersRajmahid plays well with othersRajmahid plays well with othersRajmahid plays well with othersRajmahid plays well with othersRajmahid plays well with othersRajmahid plays well with othersRajmahid plays well with othersRajmahid plays well with othersRajmahid plays well with others

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Might be best to ask in the Calibre forum.
Good idea, though of the 300+ ebooks I've processed with Calibre using the "smarten punctuation" option, this is the first time the backward quotes issue has occurred.

I just thought this might be the place to address the issue, seeing as the M&E Omnibus was formatted and tweaked by a member here.

Will report back if I hear anything in the Calibre forum.
Old 02-01-2011, 03:55 PM   #9
Rajmahid
Enthusiast

Well, I received some very prompt replies from Kovid in the Calibre forum, along with supporting advice from another member. Rather than post a lengthy reply, here's the thread regarding the issue with attempting smart quote conversions of Mapp & Lucia Omnibus:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=119518

I'll try to fix the problems manually with Sigil -- no promises due to time constraints -- but if I do, I'll upload it here for everyone's approbation.
Old 02-09-2011, 01:29 PM   #10
Carl32
Carl32 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajmahid View Post
Well, I received some very prompt replies from Kovid in the Calibre forum, along with supporting advice from another member. Rather than post a lengthy reply, here's the thread regarding the issue with attempting smart quote conversions of Mapp & Lucia Omnibus:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=119518

I'll try to fix the problems manually with Sigil -- no promises due to time constraints -- but if I do, I'll upload it here for everyone's approbation.
Well, I guess then it's not a coincidence that the same person that formatted the "Mapp and Lucia Omnibus" also did the "The Chronicles of Barsetshire" Omnibus. I downloaded it and also ran into the same inverted-quote problem when I tried to convert it in Calibre.

I wish I had a clue, but have settled for the Project Gutenberg Barsetshire novels that have no problems with inch-mark quote conversions to smart quotes. Must be the way he formats his books.
Carl32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 01:40 PM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Sounds a bit clueless to me. I'd just avoid this guy's crummy books if I were you!
Old 02-09-2011, 01:56 PM   #12
Carl32

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Sounds a bit clueless to me. I'd just avoid this guy's crummy books if I were you!
Wooops!!!

May the Foot-in-Mouth gods strike me down...I meant no offense nor did I even notice the name of the contributor of either of the errant E-Books in question, very sorry. We should be grateful for the contributions of hard-working lads such as you and thankful for whatever we get. Inch marks and smart quotes be da*ned, I'll never mention it again.

Pax
Old 02-11-2011, 05:53 PM   #13
Rajmahid
Enthusiast

Mapp and Lucia Omnibus - smartquotes fixed!

For anyone who cares, I've attached ePub and Mobi versions of this luscious compilation -- so beautifully formatted by HarryT -- after (finally!!) manually correcting the "smartened punctuation" problem which, due to stray and inconsistent quotes throughout the books, ended up as "backward quotes" at the beginning of sentences when run through Calibre -- as I pointed out in my original post regarding this issue.

Some of the 93 sections (minus a few for TOC & titles) were worse than others; many times I had to stop my search & replace dead in its tracks when knocking against the formatting glitches that led to this issue. The most challenging was "Mapp and Lucia" (Book Four) due to the original use of a single quotation mark (') instead of the usual double quotes (") because of its use as apostrophes, entailing tedious scrutiny of every place that required a smartquote. I also tweaked some very minor formatting glitches...nothing very egregious, but what the heck? I was already wading through thousands of quotation marks

Is it a perfect fix? I'm sure a few stray "backward" quotes will be found, easily fixable with my savior, Sigil. Should I run into any myself when rereading the books, I'll note them and make all the necessary corrections in a subsequent upload.

In the meantime, for those who are as picky & compulsive as I am, I hope I contributed -- if somewhat slightly -- to your enhanced enjoyment of these wonderful and delightful books in the Omnibus. E. F. Benson's Mapp and Lucia creations deserve a much much wider audience!
This work is assumed to be in the Life+70 public domain OR the copyright holder has given specific permission for distribution. Copyright laws differ throughout the world, and it may still be under copyright in some countries. Before downloading, please check your country's copyright laws. If the book is under copyright in your country, do not download or redistribute this work.

To report a copyright violation you can contact us here.
Attached Files
File Type: epub Mapp and Lucia Omnibus - E. F. Benson.epub (1.30 MB, 923 views)
File Type: mobi Mapp and Lucia Omnibus - E. F. Benson.mobi (2.00 MB, 6660 views)

Last edited by Rajmahid; 02-11-2011 at 06:14 PM.
Old 02-13-2011, 07:10 PM   #14
Carl32

I can only imagine how tediously you worked to iron out the "quote bugs" in this terrific series, thank you!! Also for making it available in mobi format for us Kindle folks

Of course, none of this would be possible without the great of Harryt in putting them all together for us.

Regards,
Carl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajmahid View Post
For anyone who cares, I've attached ePub and Mobi versions of this luscious compilation -- so beautifully formatted by HarryT -- after (finally!!) manually correcting the "smartened punctuation" problem which, due to stray and inconsistent quotes throughout the books, ended up as "backward quotes" at the beginning of sentences when run through Calibre -- as I pointed out in my original post regarding this issue.

Some of the 93 sections (minus a few for TOC & titles) were worse than others; many times I had to stop my search & replace dead in its tracks when knocking against the formatting glitches that led to this issue. The most challenging was "Mapp and Lucia" (Book Four) due to the original use of a single quotation mark (') instead of the usual double quotes (") because of its use as apostrophes, entailing tedious scrutiny of every place that required a smartquote. I also tweaked some very minor formatting glitches...nothing very egregious, but what the heck? I was already wading through thousands of quotation marks

Is it a perfect fix? I'm sure a few stray "backward" quotes will be found, easily fixable with my savior, Sigil. Should I run into any myself when rereading the books, I'll note them and make all the necessary corrections in a subsequent upload.

In the meantime, for those who are as picky & compulsive as I am, I hope I contributed -- if somewhat slightly -- to your enhanced enjoyment of these wonderful and delightful books in the Omnibus. E. F. Benson's Mapp and Lucia creations deserve a much much wider audience!
Old 02-14-2011, 03:30 AM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

These books aren't yet proof-read; they're on my "to do" list.