Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-27-2010, 06:28 AM   #16
GlassX
Connoisseur
GlassX can name that song in three notesGlassX can name that song in three notesGlassX can name that song in three notesGlassX can name that song in three notesGlassX can name that song in three notesGlassX can name that song in three notesGlassX can name that song in three notesGlassX can name that song in three notesGlassX can name that song in three notesGlassX can name that song in three notesGlassX can name that song in three notes

Device: Kindle 3, K4NT
Zerodime do you use 150% and landscape or portrait? I still cannot decide.

The truth is that it's not the most annoying thing in the world, however it is not an enjoyable experience. I don't know if I am able to get used to it. Augix, if you have the chance I think DX would be better for this kind of use. However one of the reasons I bought K3 was its very low price and its size.
GlassX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 09:38 AM   #17
Zerodime
Enthusiast
Zerodime began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle3
I'm using portrait.
I need just one click in every direction.
I got used to it after about 3-4 days
Zerodime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 09:49 AM   #18
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
If you want a 6 inch screen and you plan on reading many PDFs, you should check out the Sony PRS-650, it seems to handle PDFs much better than the Kindle 3. Here is a PDF review. It's pricier than the Kindle (about $220 USD), but worth it (imho) if you plan on reading many PDFs. You can also mark up the PDFs using the stylus.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=co5bP...eature=channel
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 11:27 AM   #19
pashlit
Zealot
pashlit is no ebook tyro.pashlit is no ebook tyro.pashlit is no ebook tyro.pashlit is no ebook tyro.pashlit is no ebook tyro.pashlit is no ebook tyro.pashlit is no ebook tyro.pashlit is no ebook tyro.pashlit is no ebook tyro.pashlit is no ebook tyro.

Device: DXG, PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassX View Post
Just got my Kindle and one of the main reasons is that I read lots of scientific papers in .pdf format and I get tired reading from a pc/laptop scr
Any advice would be appreciated
The only advice is just bite the bullet and get bigger device. I tried to read PDFs on 5'', 6''.. in landscape mode, with reflow etc... But its pointless. Only bigger screen will let you enjoy PDFs. Although font was still quite small on some docs I read on my DXG. But landscape mode on DXG will get you some comfort. IF they improve their terrible zoom ability on Kindle and add hyperlinks and annotations support it will be a big step ahead. Good luck.
pashlit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 12:08 PM   #20
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinandgreek View Post
If you want a 6 inch screen and you plan on reading many PDFs, you should check out the Sony PRS-650, it seems to handle PDFs much better than the Kindle 3. Here is a PDF review. It's pricier than the Kindle (about $220 USD), but worth it (imho) if you plan on reading many PDFs. You can also mark up the PDFs using the stylus.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=co5bP...eature=channel
Is the PDF markup 'standard' (i.e. saved with the PDF and viewable with Adobe Reader/Acrobat)? can you view & edit annotations made with Reader/Acrobat?

Kindle uses a sidecar file to store annotations, and while this is somewhat useful, it is limiting when you can't share them as part of a PDF review workflow, etc.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 12:11 PM   #21
ConstantineXVI
ConstantineXVI began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle2I
FYI, while croppers like Briss do help on small screens, they have the side effect of stripping out any text and tagging in the PDF. In other words, they become unsearchable.
ConstantineXVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 02:28 PM   #22
Vitel
Enthusiast
Vitel is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Vitel is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Vitel is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Vitel is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Vitel is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Vitel is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Vitel is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Vitel is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Vitel is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Vitel is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Vitel is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Kindle 3 (broken), Sony PRS-T1, Kindle Fire, Kindle 4 Black
Well, here is what my program can do right now:
29_362.out.pdf
I took your file, GlassX, and tried to reflow it. Of course it needs a lot of improvement, but it shows the principle behind graphical reflow. I want it to fit text and everything within given screen size and orientation. This example is in portrait mode, but you can as well reflow it in landscape mode. Font size, or zoom level depends on the output page size only (pixels) and can be chosen arbitrarily. If input pages have columns and sections, in most cases they will be parsed. Some problems remain with text surrounding images and text in tables without vertical lines, the text can be a little off or jagged. It happens because the program thinks it is an ordinary paragraph and not an element of a table or picture.
Vitel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 02:48 PM   #23
Vitel
Enthusiast
Vitel is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Vitel is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Vitel is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Vitel is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Vitel is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Vitel is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Vitel is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Vitel is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Vitel is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Vitel is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Vitel is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Kindle 3 (broken), Sony PRS-T1, Kindle Fire, Kindle 4 Black
This is the result of reflowing Augix's file (this time it is to be viewed in landscape mode): journal.ppat.1001119.out.pdf
This one also isn't perfect, but as already said my program is in an early stage of development, it's not properly tweaked to handle files with various types of formatting.

Last edited by Vitel; 09-27-2010 at 02:51 PM.
Vitel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 06:39 PM   #24
scenox
scenox began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
IMHO the landscape mode with fit-to-width is perfect for papers and journals (2 columns) - perfectly readable.
I don't mind the small font size, I guess it's a matter of taste.

Last edited by scenox; 09-27-2010 at 06:46 PM.
scenox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 01:48 PM   #25
GlassX
Connoisseur
GlassX can name that song in three notesGlassX can name that song in three notesGlassX can name that song in three notesGlassX can name that song in three notesGlassX can name that song in three notesGlassX can name that song in three notesGlassX can name that song in three notesGlassX can name that song in three notesGlassX can name that song in three notesGlassX can name that song in three notesGlassX can name that song in three notes

Device: Kindle 3, K4NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitel View Post
Well, here is what my program can do right now:
29_362.out.pdf
I took your file, GlassX, and tried to reflow it. Of course it needs a lot of improvement, but it shows the principle behind graphical reflow. I want it to fit text and everything within given screen size and orientation. This example is in portrait mode, but you can as well reflow it in landscape mode. Font size, or zoom level depends on the output page size only (pixels) and can be chosen arbitrarily. If input pages have columns and sections, in most cases they will be parsed. Some problems remain with text surrounding images and text in tables without vertical lines, the text can be a little off or jagged. It happens because the program thinks it is an ordinary paragraph and not an element of a table or picture.
Sorry for not answering earlier, I'm a bit busy these days. It looks OK, tables will always be a problem I guess but it looks promising.
GlassX is offline   Reply With Quote