Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-17-2010, 11:22 AM   #16
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
There is no sales tax for e-books at Amazon.com for Canadian purchases. It's not hidden; it's not there; the sale is made in the US, not Canada. Physical goods shipped by Amazon to Canada do attract sales taxes coming across the border.

So, the Whispernet fees are baked into each e-book price; the problem is one can't see what it is. In many cases, it's still $2 but, as pointed out earlier in the thread, sometimes it is less and sometimes it is missing altogether (which is a good thing).

Perhaps eventually Amazon will make e-delivery a line item charge but if they are inching toward always free, I'm happy with that too.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 06:47 PM   #17
Pushka
Wizard
Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, Ipad, Iphone, Nexus and PPW
There are no taxes applied in Australia either. Not even on the kindle itself.
Pushka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 03:39 PM   #18
andreabc
Zealot
andreabc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andreabc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andreabc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andreabc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andreabc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andreabc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andreabc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andreabc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andreabc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andreabc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andreabc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle (4th gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdreamsmaycome View Post
Is there any way anywhere to say 'do not charge me these $2, I will d/load on my pc and sync over usb'? I am totally fine if this is a convenience charge where people wanting to use whispernet will pay it, I am not so fine if this is a 'tax' that one has to pay whether one uses whispernet or not.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SensualPoet View Post
No.
This drives me crazy and is the main reason why I'm not planning on buying the Kindle yet. Even now that the Kindle wifi-only will be released, nothing has been said about lowering the higher ebook price that international users have to pay even if they don't use whispernet at all! I understand that I might have to pay for any extra taxes but why can't we choose to be charged $2 when downloading over whispernet and have all other downloads to PC at the same price as the US Kindle store?

I know that I could just register in the US and then use a hotspot shield or whatever to try and hide but I want to complicate myself like that really...
andreabc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 03:46 PM   #19
Corran006
Connoisseur
Corran006 is a jewel in the roughCorran006 is a jewel in the roughCorran006 is a jewel in the roughCorran006 is a jewel in the roughCorran006 is a jewel in the roughCorran006 is a jewel in the roughCorran006 is a jewel in the roughCorran006 is a jewel in the roughCorran006 is a jewel in the roughCorran006 is a jewel in the roughCorran006 is a jewel in the rough

Device: Kindle 3
Does anyone know if there is a charge in Canada for this as well? can it be avoiding by not using 3G or its on Wi-fi too.
Corran006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 03:56 PM   #20
andreabc
Zealot
andreabc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andreabc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andreabc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andreabc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andreabc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andreabc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andreabc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andreabc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andreabc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andreabc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andreabc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corran006 View Post
Does anyone know if there is a charge in Canada for this as well? can it be avoiding by not using 3G or its on Wi-fi too.
It isn't really an extra charge... it just happens that many many books in the International Kindle stores are $2 more expensive than in the US store (this is supposedly to cover the international wireless/3G charges) regardless of whether you download the book using your PC and not 3G.
Old 07-29-2010, 04:22 PM   #21
Care
Aes Sedai
Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.

Device: Kobo Aura and Kobo Mini, had a Nook, NOOKcolor, Nook STR.
amazon.ca doesn't sell ebooks? I go to amazon.com to get them, and as far as I know the prices are the same (this is via my computer). I also went to amazon.co.uk to see if there was a difference and looked at 3 different ebooks, they were all the same price as the amazon.com site.

The kindle book - The Eye of the world, by Robert Jordan - is $6.99 at all places (amazon) I look. So, does the site recognize my Canadian ip and charge more? Or is there really no price difference?

This is so confusing, lol.

Edit, never mind my computer took me back to amazon.com, lol. Which makes me still wonder if the price is different for US customers.

Last edited by Care; 07-29-2010 at 04:32 PM.
Care is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 12:52 AM   #22
andreabc
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Care View Post
amazon.ca doesn't sell ebooks? I go to amazon.com to get them, and as far as I know the prices are the same (this is via my computer). I also went to amazon.co.uk to see if there was a difference and looked at 3 different ebooks, they were all the same price as the amazon.com site.

The kindle book - The Eye of the world, by Robert Jordan - is $6.99 at all places (amazon) I look. So, does the site recognize my Canadian ip and charge more? Or is there really no price difference?

This is so confusing, lol.

Edit, never mind my computer took me back to amazon.com, lol. Which makes me still wonder if the price is different for US customers.
As far as I know, at the moment only amazon.com sells Kindle ebooks (but I've read that at least an amazon.co.uk Kindle store is on the way). They have a different selection of ebooks available and different prices depending on your "country or region". I'm not sure which is the US price, but the price that I see (Latin America & Caribbean Region) for the Kindle edition of The Eye of the World is $11.73...

Also, on the new Kindle details page there are some example book prices for NYTimes bestsellers (The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, etc and the prices that I see once I click on the titles are all exactly $2 extra for each book).

Last edited by andreabc; 07-30-2010 at 12:58 AM.
Old 07-30-2010, 12:58 AM   #23
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreabc View Post
I'm not sure which is the US price, but the price that I see (Latin America & Caribbean Region) for the Kindle edition of The Eye of the World is $11.73...
It's $6.99 in the US with the price set by the publisher (it's an Agency 5 title).
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 01:17 AM   #24
andreabc
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
It's $6.99 in the US with the price set by the publisher (it's an Agency 5 title).
It's the same book but I see a different Kindle edition (I think you see a Tor / Macmillan edition but I see a Little, Brown edition)...

It's still crazy that the book is almost $5 more expensive for me...
Old 07-30-2010, 07:36 AM   #25
Care
Aes Sedai
Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.

Device: Kobo Aura and Kobo Mini, had a Nook, NOOKcolor, Nook STR.
Quote:
It's the same book but I see a different Kindle edition (I think you see a Tor / Macmillan edition but I see a Little, Brown edition)...

Oh, wow! That is crazy. Yes, here it is a Tor book.

I have my dads shipping address in the US set as my main address, maybe that's why I pay the US prices. Whenever I buy paper books off amazon, I ship them to my dads since I can get free shipping then.
Care is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 10:55 AM   #26
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Care View Post
I have my dads shipping address in the US set as my main address, maybe that's why I pay the US prices.
Yes, you'd be getting US prices and getting around any geo restrictions for books not available in Canada that way.

Quote:

It is crazy, but it appears to be in line with what others selling the Little Brown (UK)/Hachette version are getting...

WH Smith has it for £7.37 which equals approximately $11.53
Waterstones has it for £8.48 which equals approximately $13.27

Last edited by AnemicOak; 07-30-2010 at 10:59 AM.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote