Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-29-2010, 09:01 AM   #1
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
How Soon Until DXG Wifi?

OK - just had to ask - how long until a lower priced KDX Wifi model?
I speculate that if web browsing via Wifi with an improved browser works well on a 6" screen, offering it on the larger screen model seems an obvious move. Especially if Amazon can offer a significant price drop on Wifi only DXG models. And improved PDF handling too!

Amazon is poised to fill the void left by Irex's bankruptcy for large screen (non-iPad) readers.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 09:09 AM   #2
zetareticuli
Addict
zetareticuli doesn't litterzetareticuli doesn't litterzetareticuli doesn't litter

Device: Aztak Mentor
We now know that the firmware with the new features of the new Kindles will be released for the DXG as well. WiFi is not supported by the hardware of the existing DXs so new hardware would be needed.

The hacker in me has to mention, however, that if we can find a mini card that has both WiFi and 3G support, it would be possible to replace the existing card on the DX models with this one and compile a kernel with WiFi support. Now, I have looked and have found no mini card like that anywhere.
zetareticuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 02:50 PM   #3
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
I'd certainly buy a KDXWiFi if it was priced at $299 or less. But then, given the age of the e-ink manufacturing procedure, I personally believe that 9.7" e-ink displays should be now cheap enough for a $299-or-less KDX 3G model!

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 04:25 PM   #4
Clawdia
Connoisseur
Clawdia is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle (K3, DXG)
I'm a little bummed that the graphite DX I just bought doesn't have the wifi capability - surely they could have incorporated it into this model.

Then again, I'm not about to return it in favor of a smaller Kindle with that capability. I also wish they'd put the 'new and improved' controller on this version of the DX.

Ah well - I do love the screen!
Clawdia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 04:34 PM   #5
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
197 days... start your count down timers now.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 04:52 PM   #6
zetareticuli
Addict
zetareticuli doesn't litterzetareticuli doesn't litterzetareticuli doesn't litter

Device: Aztak Mentor
I'd rather keep the larger screen without the WiFi than to exchange it for the smaller screen with the WiFi. The larger screen is the most important factor for me because of the nature of the documents I will be reading on it. Heck, I would even give up WiFi and 3G in exchange for excellent PDF features and multi format support in a reader.
zetareticuli is offline   Reply With Quote