Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 04-09-2018, 10:34 PM   #1
font332
Connoisseur
font332 began at the beginning.

Device: kpw2
Updating metadata, some files in explorer not update. Any option to refresh?

Hello All

I've been changing my books titles and authors by bulk, by changing all not allowed in win explorer symbols to allowed. So all "?/\|" etc. where changed to just ".". Originally all such symbols calibre saves in his folder structure db as "_". After I've checked the files and folders after that operation, I've noticed that some names of some files in explorer there did not changed.
Is there any way of telling callibre to check it and correct the not changed because of some reasons ones?
Thanks
font332 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 10:42 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Those symbols are not safe on all filesystems, so calibre will never use them for filenames.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-10-2018, 03:28 AM   #3
font332
Connoisseur

Thank You @koviidoyal for the reply, however I'm not sure if I have been understood corectly.

I don't want those symbols and I went rid of them by changing them to dot symbol by bulk conversions in calibre.
Some files in folder structure did not changed however.
I am simply asking if is there any way of updating by calibre the filenames and foldernames according to the changes that have been made in calibre, because after some bulk filename conversion, some files & folder weren't changed and some were.

Last edited by font332; 04-10-2018 at 03:41 AM.
Old 04-10-2018, 05:42 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm confused as to what you are asking. There is no need to remove those symbols from titles in calibre as they will not be in filenames anyway. Indeed, a couple of those symbols, namely \/ cannot be in filenames even if calibre tried to put them into the filenames, since theya re path separators.
Old 04-10-2018, 07:56 AM   #5
font332
Connoisseur

Yes I am aware of that. The reason why I don't want this symbols in titles in calibre doesn't matter.
I am just curious why some files when changing the titles were changed in folder structure and some not, and further if is there any way of asking calibre to recheck the names in folder structure so that the filenames and folder would be more accurate to the data in the calibre.
Advert
Old 04-10-2018, 08:39 AM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Filenames are not exact copies of title + author, they are modified by a fairly complex process to yield a name safe to use, whether it changes or not depends on whether the modified version differs or not. If you are concerned run the library check tool which will check if any files are orphaned.