Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 12-17-2017, 11:18 AM   #31
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
I really enjoyed reading the first four books of The Others series this year.
I'm waiting for the price to drop for book #5, and book #6 is expected to be released sometime next year.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 12:20 PM   #32
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strether View Post
Yes, and a new Foreigner book as well. Santa had better come through with Amazon gift cards.

I've started reading Ancillary Justice, meanwhile. Very slow going!

Jim
At least the new Foriegner book isn't RIGHT after the new year.

As for Ancillary Justice -- yup, I agree, it was slow going initially. But by the time I'd finished all three, I was honestly willing to do an immediate re-read. (I didn't, too many on my TBR right now.) The book does get better, and the series as a whole is really powerful. Plus I love the gender ambiguity everywhere.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-17-2017, 01:08 PM   #33
Strether
Guru
Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1; iPad Air; iPhone 7; Kobo Libra; Kindle Oasis 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
At least the new Foriegner book isn't RIGHT after the new year.
I’d call January 2nd RIGHT after the new year, myself.

Jim
Strether is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 01:48 PM   #34
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Sadly, nothing I read this year stood out. I am enjoying the Ranger's Apprentice series. I read several new-to-me authors that were made of good stuff, such as Aldiss' Hothouse and Auston's No Good Deed.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 02:24 PM   #35
spindlegirl
Wizard
spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra h20, Paperwhite 2017, Phone & Tablet w Moonreader
Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine by Gail Honeyman.

I liked it so much that I went out of my way to secure a paperback copy for my daughter, (who prefers physical books) who I knows loves the same books I do.
spindlegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-17-2017, 02:52 PM   #36
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
My favs were:

The Devil's Cup by Stewart Lee Allen
- Non fiction history of coffee. Very interesting
Artemis by Andy Weir
Two Kinds of Truth by Michael Connelly
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 04:06 PM   #37
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strether View Post
I’d call January 2nd RIGHT after the new year, myself.

Jim
Ah, right you are. Somehow, I was thinking March. Well, that will take care of my new year's reading!
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 07:53 PM   #38
ekbell
Guru
ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Standouts from the books I read in 2017

Nonfiction

On Trails An Exploration by Robert Moore – digressions on a Theme

Shooting Victoria
by Paul Murphy – a look at Victorian England as seen through the assassination attempts on Queen Victoria

Chrysalis: Maria Sibylla Merian and the Secrets of Metamorphosis by Kim Todd -a look at the life of an early scientific explorer

Charles Dickens and the Street Children of England by Andrea Warren – well written book for children with an unusual focus

I Contain Multitudes by Ed Young – interesting look at microorganisms within living organisms

Fiction

Eric Flint’s 1636: The Ottoman Onslaught (I love the Ring of Fire universe)

Changing Planes by Ursula K. le Guin & Trafalgar by Angelica Gorodischer translated by Amalia Gladhart -both of these are an exploration of the strange and wonderful worlds of the author’s imagination with a science fiction glaze

I also enjoyed reading several mystery novels by Margery Allingham (who has entered the Public Domain in Canada), and the latest 16th century Brazilian fantasy novellas by Christopher Kastensmidt as well as rereading the Cecelia and Kate Regency fantasy novels by Patricia C. Wrede & Caroline Stevermer
ekbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 08:33 AM   #39
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
New York 2140 by Kim Stanley Robinson

Kirinyaga by Mike Resnick

The Events at Poroth Farm by T.E.D. Klein (novella)

The first three Parker novels (The Hunter, The Man With the Getaway Face, The Outfit) by Richard Stark (Donald Westlake). The first was a revenge novel, the rest are heist novels.

Red Harvest by Dashiell Hammett

Books I liked better than I thought I would:
Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë
Brideshead Revisited by Evelyn Waugh

Honorable Mention:
Passing Strange by Ellen Klages (novella)
Being There by Jerzy Kosiński
Burglars Can't Be Choosers by Lawrence Block
Rogue Male by Geoffrey Household

For Christmas:
Rock Crystal by Adalbert Stifter I listened on Librivox.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 03:01 PM   #40
BelleZora
Wizard
BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kobo Libra 2
My favorites were:

News of the World by Paulette Jiles
Our Souls at Night by Ken Haruf
Old Filth by Jane Gardam
A Man Called Ove by Fredrik Backman
Mothering Sunday by Graham Swift
The Man in the Wooden Hat by Jane Gardam
And The Mountains Echoed by Khaled Hosseini
The Uncommon Reader by Alan Bennett
A Catalog of Birds by Laura Harrington
The Late Show by Michael Connelly
Two Kinds of Truth by Michael Connelly
Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte
BelleZora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 02:06 AM   #41
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
So glad you enjoyed the two Jane Gardam books and the Graham Swift so much!
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 06:50 AM   #42
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
...and the utterly delightful The Uncommon Reader, which I see, checking Goodreads, made my Best of 2011 list.

Last edited by issybird; 12-19-2017 at 06:52 AM.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 09:15 AM   #43
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
...and the utterly delightful The Uncommon Reader, which I see, checking Goodreads, made my Best of 2011 list.
I, too, loved The Uncommon Reader the year I read it!
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 02:57 AM   #44
sadowski
Connoisseur
sadowski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadowski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadowski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadowski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadowski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadowski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadowski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadowski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadowski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadowski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadowski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, Kobo mini, PB mini
No one noticed the new Neal Stephenson? I enjoyed it a lot:

The Rise and Fall of D.O.D.O. (with Nicole Galland).

As well:

Station Eleven. (Emily St. John Mandel)
The Nix. (Nathan Hill)
Good as Gone. (Amy Gentry)
The Ipcress File. (Len Deighton)
sadowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 12:01 AM   #45
JaneD
Addict
JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2013
I didn't read much that was worthy of recommending, but here's the couple I liked, all fiction:

The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo by Taylor Jenkins Reid
Star Trek: Vulcan - Travel Guide to Vulcan by Insight Editions
The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas
The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet by Becky Chambers
JaneD is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2017, best of, favorite books