Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 01-02-2011, 11:18 AM   #1
meho_r
meho_r began at the beginning.

Device: none
Theme problem

Hi

I updated calibre yesterday to 0.7.36 and noticed that my theme is broken (looks like Win98). I tried changing couple of Gnome themes (with KDE settings to follow and use GTK+ style) to make sure it isn't a particular theme problem, no avail. I also tried setting KDE theme to native "Oxygen", didn't help. Using "qtconfig" I managed to apply two styles: "Clearlooks" and "Plastique", but KDE's "Oxygen" and GTK+ failed again. This didn't happen with 0.7.2x versions. Ideas?

I'm using Debian Squeeze, 64bit, Gnome DE, and "GTK+" Widget Style for KDE applications.
meho_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 11:30 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
your theme's are probably incompatible with Qt 4.7 which calibre switched to recently.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-02-2011, 03:26 PM   #3
meho_r

OK, thanks a lot for prompt reply. The installed version on my system is 4.6.3. 4.7 is still in experimental repos, so I don't think we'll see it soon on Debian testing.

Last edited by meho_r; 01-02-2011 at 03:28 PM.
Old 01-02-2011, 04:21 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yeah, Qt theming is rather messy, I may have to start distributing theme plugins with the calibre binary. The problem with doing that is that then your system theme wont be used (even if it is compatible) and I'll get complaints from people about how calibre doesn't look like the other apps.
Old 01-02-2011, 06:11 PM   #5
meho_r

Indeed. From whatever side you look, seems like a double-edged sword
Advert
Old 03-31-2011, 02:41 AM   #6
HalfEmptyHero
HalfEmptyHero began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I'm having this same problem, however I am using qt 4.7.2. Is there something I missed?

Edit: I'm using kde 4.6 64bit on kubuntu natty btw

Last edited by HalfEmptyHero; 03-31-2011 at 02:43 AM.
HalfEmptyHero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 02:54 AM   #7
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfEmptyHero View Post
I'm having this same problem, however I am using qt 4.7.2. Is there something I missed?

What version of calibre are you using?
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 04:43 AM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfEmptyHero View Post

Natty Isn't exactly 'stable'

Natty (Gnome) LIve CD won't even run the same 2 times in a row on my Dell D4600 (I've seen the new desktop twice, the rest of the time I have been lucky to get it to run enough to do anything useful, then, it was the old desktop that came up? Yes it was Natty.)
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 11:58 PM   #9
HalfEmptyHero

True, natty might not be stable but I don't think that would be the problem. All my other Qt apps look fine, that's gotta mean something right? But honestly, besides a few programs crashing once in a while, I haven't had any problems with natty.

As for calibre, I'm using version 0.7.52
Old 04-01-2011, 12:37 AM   #10
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

It means that the style plugins in your OS are incompatible with the Qt libraries shipped with calibre. The only fix I know for that is to compile calibre from source on your OS.
Old 04-03-2011, 09:16 AM   #11
HalfEmptyHero

Well I got tired of all the crashing on Natty, so downgraded to Maverick. The theme looks normal on it, so I'm happy.
Old 12-22-2013, 04:28 PM   #12
coolnamehere
coolnamehere began at the beginning.

Device: prs300
I realize this is an old thread but it fits my situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal
your theme's are probably incompatible with Qt 4.7 which calibre switched to recently.
what I'd like to find out is if you or anyone knows exactly what in qt 4.7+ breaks some gtk themes? I'd like to fix/update my theme if possible.

with calibre bin pkg up to r0.7.27 I get the gtk theme's scrollbar, button and other graphical effects (all the png elements in the theme); with r0.7.28+ I only get the theme's color treatments which from what I can tell is when calibre switched to qt 4.7.3.

I've done a lot of searching to see if there are tweaks I can make to the gtk theme but I'm not getting anywhere.

or I could build calibre from source as your subsequent post here mentions but given I'd only have qt and other calibre deps installed long enough to compile calibre I'd like to create a binary/standalone calibre (which the src INSTALL readme doesn't appear to go into) - did I misread in a calibre faq/doc that you said trying to do that would be very difficult? or did you just mean for a windows user it would be too difficult?

thanks.
coolnamehere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 10:09 PM   #13
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

calibre currently *requires* Qt 4.8 so compiling from source wont help you if you want to keep Qt before 4.7.3. There's no automated way to create standalone calibre binaries, the script I use to do it is specific to my build VM. But if you have the time, you can try adapting it, it is linux/freeze2.py and it is launched by

python setup.py linux_freeze