Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 08-17-2013, 08:49 PM   #1
CharlieBird
¿Huh?
CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HiSense A7 CC, Fire HD6, Kobo Libra2
CoolReader (not) on Nexus 7 (2013)

Has anyone successfully installed CoolReader on the new Nex7?

I've unsuccessfully tried a couple of versions a couple of times and it always shuts down on start-up. It's my go-to reader app for rtf clips and I'm really missing it.
CharlieBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 09:40 AM   #2
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Experia Z Ultra
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieBird View Post

I've unsuccessfully tried a couple of versions a couple of times and it always shuts down on start-up. It's my go-to reader app for rtf clips and I'm really missing it.
I will not have my Nexus 7.b until the 28th of this month, but I have updated my Nexus 7.a to Android 4.3 already and I have not seen a problem with CoolReader on it. Our Android versions are the same, but there is a significantly upgraded apps processor on Nexus 7.b, so maybe that is the issue? I will check on it as soon as I get my own Nexus 7.b.
Dave_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-18-2013, 12:03 PM   #3
CharlieBird
¿Huh?
CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Dave, thanks. The problem may be attributable to my rooting (first time I've ever had a problem rooting a device) so I'll be curious to see what you have to report.

Oddly enough I'll be getting a new right eye on the 28th! Cataract removal...routine I guess.

How did you get JB on your Transformer? After a week of trying to do just that, not even being able to get Twrp to install, last night I finally asked for help on the XDA forum. Feeling noob++ today.
Old 08-18-2013, 12:11 PM   #4
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Dave, thanks. The problem may be attributable to my rooting (first time I've ever had a problem rooting a device) so I'll be curious to see what you have to report.
I am rooted on all my devices, so that may not be your problem.
Quote:
How did you get JB on your Transformer?
Actually, the Jelly Bean on my Transformer Prime is Android 4.1. I have Android 4.3 (also called Jelly Bean) on my 2012 version Nexus 7. Google somewhat muddied the waters by keeping the same code name for several Android iterations.
Quote:
After a week of trying to do just that, not even being able to get Twrp to install, last night I finally asked for help on the XDA forum. Feeling noob++ today.
XDA is really the goto place for finding information concerning mobile device problems!
Old 08-18-2013, 04:32 PM   #5
CharlieBird
¿Huh?

Well, I've not been able to get beyond 4.0.3, ICS. Looks I'll be spending another week on XDA. Yes, it is confusing. I finally copied a graph of the different Android versions and consult it fairly often.

I'll check in next week to see what you have to report on CoolReader.
Advert
Old 09-01-2013, 03:08 AM   #6
Dave_S
What Title ?

Quote:
Well, I've not been able to get beyond 4.0.3, ICS. Looks I'll be spending another week on XDA. Yes, it is confusing. I finally copied a graph of the different Android versions and consult it fairly often.

I'll check in next week to see what you have to report on CoolReader.
Well, I have my new Nexus 7 and I just tried out Coolreader on it this morning. I rooted the Nexus yesterday, so I think that I am set up similarly to you. When I accidently tried to open a Nook EPUB that I bought from Barnes & Noble, I got the instant crash that you described. That is not proper behavior, but CoolReader can not handle DRM EPUB anyway. When I tried a normal EPUB CoolReader opened it and behaved completely normally.
Old 09-01-2013, 03:42 AM   #7
Merischino
Groupie
Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Pixel 2, Kindle Fire HD 8
CharlieBird,
I have the new Nexus 7 (.b? that's the first time I heard that... so far I've heard it called: "FHD", "2nd gen" "7 II" "7 2" and "7 2013")

I have cool reader and have yet to see any problems with any of my epubs. None of mine are DRM though, so therein may lie your problem.
Merischino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 03:58 AM   #8
Dave_S
What Title ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merischino View Post
CharlieBird,
I have the new Nexus 7 (.b? that's the first time I heard that... so far I've heard it called: "FHD", "2nd gen" "7 II" "7 2" and "7 2013")
I just call mine "Nexus 7b", because I am a really lazy typist. "Nexus 7 Full High Definition" is far too pretentious, and all the other "Also Know As" designations require more keystrokes. Google has really been making things difficult lately, with three different Jelly Bean versions and now a Nexus 7 with the same name as the previous version.
Old 09-02-2013, 07:21 PM   #9
CharlieBird
¿Huh?

I got FHD from Amazon and another site selling microSD card readers. XDA uses the (2013) suffix. It is a pain trying to be consistent. I kinda like Dave's 7b but doubt it will catch on web-wide.

I finally got CoolReader working last night after flashing Android 4.3 and re-wiping. Seems to be working beautifully with both epub and RTF. I guess I probably should have asked my question in the CoolRead thread, huh?

Are you as (more than) pleased with the 7b as I am, Dave?

What is it being called it on the MR Forums?
Old 09-03-2013, 01:21 AM   #10
Dave_S
What Title ?

Quote:
I got FHD from Amazon and another site selling microSD card readers. XDA uses the (2013) suffix. It is a pain trying to be consistent. I kinda like Dave's 7b but doubt it will catch on web-wide.
Yeah, I have not seen 7b anywhere else either, but I also have not seen anyone not understand when I used it. I had to do some research to figure out that FHD meant Full High Definition, and decided that nomenclature was too foggy for me.
Quote:
I finally got CoolReader working last night after flashing Android 4.3 and re-wiping. Seems to be working beautifully with both epub and RTF. I guess I probably should have asked my question in the CoolRead thread, huh?

Are you as (more than) pleased with the 7b as I am, Dave?

What is it being called it on the MR Forums?
I am very happy with my new 7b LTE and am waiting for my new SIM card to arrive in the mail.
Old 09-05-2013, 04:35 AM   #11
Mivo
Fanatic
Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: In use: Pocketbook InkPad 3, Kobo Glo, iPad Air 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_S View Post
I am very happy with my new 7b LTE and am waiting for my new SIM card to arrive in the mail.
I only barely managed to avoid buying the LTE version and went with the Wifi-only one. Still mixed feelings about it, but I don't really need LTE currently and if I do in the future, one of those mobile LTE hotspots will hopefully do the trick.

CR works for me on an un-rooted device.
Mivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 12:22 PM   #12
Jabby
Jr. - Junior Member
Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Archos, Asus, HP, Lenovo, Nexus and Samsung tablets in 7,8 and 10"
Quote:

There is a good chance that this problem is caused by CoolReader trying to open the last read book thst has been deleted. The cure is to open a book through a file manager,
Jabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 08:57 PM   #13
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
I have the new Nexus 7 non-rooted, CoolReader installed fine. A non-DRM epub opened just fine. I don't use CoolReader to read with, so no detailed report on that, but I quickly adjusted font and font size and saw no issues
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote