Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 08-28-2013, 08:30 AM   #1
hlk123
Enthusiast
hlk123 began at the beginning.

Device: Nexus7(2013), KindleFireHD7, PB622, PB623, AsusMemoTabHD7
E-Reader with a good English(+German) dictionary.

Hello

I use my tablet AsusMemoHD7 mostly as an E-Reader for PDF & epub-files.
I've tried ezPDF, Moon+ Reader etc.
I use two languages dictionaries: English <-> German.
I read mostly english/american ebooks & magazines.

My KindleFireHD7 can read mobi and PDF .. not epub.
I can use its integrated dictionary (Oxford English Dictionary) only when I read mobi.
The Oxford English Dictionary is the best dictionary.... I think.
For example: the word "locavore" is known.

I look for E-Reader for Android with a very good english dictionary... like Oxford-Dict.

I've tried Moon+ Reader Premium with Abbyy Lingvo dictionary for €5,- .. but it's no good & expensive. The word "ubiquitous" is unknown!

ezPDF with ColorDict is better but isn't as good as KindleFire with OxfordDictionary.

Do you know a good E-Reader (for PDF + epub) with a good English (+German) dictionary?
Thank you.
hlk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 12:56 AM   #2
Mivo
Fanatic
Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: In use: Pocketbook InkPad 3, Kobo Glo, iPad Air 2
ColorDict works with Moon+, too. Just adding this since you found it at least usable. (It works for me, so I stopped shopping around when I found it.)
Mivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 05:10 AM   #3
hlk123
Enthusiast
hlk123 began at the beginning.

Device: Nexus7(2013), KindleFireHD7, PB622, PB623, AsusMemoTabHD7
@Mivo

How do you connect Moon+ with ColorDict?
Thank you.

BTW do you have the second edition of Nexus? How is it?

Last edited by hlk123; 08-31-2013 at 05:13 AM.
hlk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 05:26 AM   #4
Mivo
Fanatic
Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: In use: Pocketbook InkPad 3, Kobo Glo, iPad Air 2
I didn't do anything special. I had no dictionary installed when I used Moon+ (the pro version), and the first time I looked up a word, it directed me to the ColorDict download page and then automatically used it (I disabled the thesaurus since I only wanted the dictionary).

I have the new Nexus and I am very much in love with it. Fantastic display. At 0% brightness I find it almost as nice to read on as the e-ink devices. It is my first Android device though, so I can only compare it to the iPad. Very happy with it.

Edit: just checked and in the "miscellaneous" options of Moon+, at the very bottom is an option that says "customize dictionary". It let's you pick the dictionary of your choice.

Last edited by Mivo; 08-31-2013 at 05:30 AM.
Mivo is offline   Reply With Quote