Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 08-23-2013, 01:29 PM   #1
Hugo_Stiglitz
Hugo_Stiglitz began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung Tab 2
Calibre Companion + Alidko/ Moon+

Hi everyone. Kind of have an issue that's been frustrating me for the last 2 days since i picked up a galaxy tab 2 7"

Basically i use a mac so cant mount it as storage disc so calibre cant access it directly so ive had to use calibre companion to get the books onto the device.

Now after launching a book it obviously loads it up in a external ereader (and my preference is to just use the ereader every time) however it never takes any of the metadata with it. So the coverart always ends up being the first page and the majority of the time the author and titles are screwed up.

Now i dont want to sound pedantic but im pretty anal about how my libary looks, its probably a minor form of ocd. So could anyone recommend a certain combination or way to go about doing it so it all loads up?

I am thinking of taking the tab back though and getting one of the new nexus's. I dont know if you able to mount those as storage's but meh.

I have used android file transfer to copy the books over but same issues.

So yeah any guidance or suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Luke
Hugo_Stiglitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 01:44 PM   #2
Merischino
Groupie
Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Pixel 2, Kindle Fire HD 8
I just bought a new nexus 7, and I have a galaxy s3 phone. I had the same problem of not being able to transfer easily with my mac with the s3.

Happily, the nexus 7 transfers great with the mac once you download and install the free Adroid File Transfer software for your mac. After the first launch, it will automatically detect your (nexus?) device and then you can transfer normally.

I'm also using Calibre and Calibre companion. I just bought the Moon+ pro version (on sale this month, half price!) and have not had the problems you're mentioning.

I would recommend that you try something different within calibre -- if you have it all displaying the way you like in calibre, you can try (pick one convert to epub, modify epub, or polish epub - and be sure to embed the metadata information into the epub file. You can choose to either embed or remove embedded covers from the epub file as well.

So - then when you go to Calibre Companion, the metadata information available in the software (when you choose to load it to your reader) will also be available in the book itself when you open it in Moon+ on your ereader.

I've decided this is the better method than, in calibre, saving metadata and covers in separate files. I spent so much time fixing and re-fixing ebooks that way, because it seemed calibre either kept forgetting, or kept ignoring, metadata information stored in the same directory as the ebook itself. (was it clugy? or was i? i don't care... it sucked.)

The first time you open the book, whatever the ereading app, you should then see the cover (if you embedded it) and a metadata book jacket with description and any series, index you may have in the database. subsequent launches of the book will be at whatever reading point you stopped last, you shouldn't have to see the cover and book jacket information more times than you like.

hope that helps.

---
ps try android file transfer for your galaxy tab. it may help. if it doesn't, try loading Kies for Mac on your computer and the Kies app on your galaxy. I didn't like the interface AT ALL but, it does work. there's also Kies Air for wireless transfer, but that was arguably even worse, in my book.

If you CAN trade out the samsung for the nexus, it might be worth it if you do a lot of transferring with your mac.
Merischino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 02:31 PM   #3
Hugo_Stiglitz
Hugo_Stiglitz began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung Tab 2
Thank for the pretty stellar reply mate.

Yes i have got my libary metadata exactly how i want so is there like a simple way of bulk converting it to use the data ive selected or do i have to embark on somewhat lengthy process of ripping it all out?
Hugo_Stiglitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 06:08 PM   #4
Merischino
Groupie
Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Pixel 2, Kindle Fire HD 8
you're very welcome.

I would suggest you do this in lots, because what I'm recommending has no undo -- save a backup of your calibre library first.

then, you could work in sets using virtual libraries if you wish, or not.

the cool thing is, once you get set with which method and settings you like, you can pretty much then do this in bulk for everything in your library. I am still doing it in lots because I like to doublecheck that things worked the way I intended.

Target: ebook files with embedded metadata jackets and covers (preferably epubs, azw3 also supports this)

For any method, first order of business: change your preferences in calibre so that you are not telling it to save covers and metadata in separate files.

Methods:
a) convert books to epub and in the conversion window,
- select the "structure" tab on the left
-place a check in the box next to "insert metadata as page at start of book"

If you already have an epub, you can re-convert the epub as a method of adding metadata to the book, but this is not necessary (and it takes longer to reconvert epub-to-epub than these next two methods)

Nota Bene: depending on your preferences in calibre, the original epub prior to reconversion may be retained, and the format renamed to "original-epub". If you like this, great. If you don't, great. just change the preference in calibre. this also applies if you use method b or c - the preferences define whether the "original-epub" gets retained/renamed.

b) Modify epub
This method, hence the name, only works on epub files.
There are LOTS of things you can do to your epub, I'm only going to mention the ones relevant to this discussion.
Section "Metadata Jackets"
Pick a selection, place a checkmark in it. either
-Remove all metadata jackets
-Remove legacy metadata jackets
-add/replace metadata jacket *** i recommend this one for your needs unless there are specific files that have something undesired.
nb: if you choose add/replace plus either of the others, whatever you add will get removed, too.

section "covers"
check one:
-remove broken image pages
-remove existing cover
-insert or replace cover

I have not played much with the other options.

c) polish books

this one is my new favorite... it's a new thing that came with one of the updates between 0.9 and 1.0. It also only works on epubs or azw3s.

this has a butload of settings. One cool thing is you can save settings so if you do multiple types of activities you can save each set, load settings when you need them.

I've been using this almost exclusively since I found it.
I like these settings:
-smarten punctuation
-update metadata in the book files
-update the cover in the book files
-add metadata as a "book jacket" page

also, to keep track of what you've polished vs what you have not, you can create a custom yes/no column "polished" so once you've completed a group you can bulk change metadata so the polished column has a "yes" so that you know you don't need to do that again.
Merischino is offline   Reply With Quote