Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-31-2021, 05:00 PM   #1
LDB
Baker Street Irregular
LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PaperWhite 5, Aura One, Glowlight Plus, Scribe, Sage
Editing Kindle content

I went to content and devices and selected my Kindle. Then I clicked view device content. Then I highlighted the content and copy/pasted it into a Word file. What I wound up with is this, plus a solid line full page width between the 0 and the next title that for some reason doesn't show up here as it does in Word:

· · Code Name: Lise: The True Story of the Woman Who Became WWII's Most Highly Decorated Spy
Larry Loftis
December 12, 2020

· · Act of War: The Sinking of the Lusitania (Kindle Single)
Diana Preston
December 12, 2020

· Blazing Star, Setting Sun: The Guadalcanal-Solomons Campaign November 1942–March 1943
Update Available
Jeffrey Cox
December 11, 2020

What I want to have is this:

· · The Tinfish Run
Ronald Bassett
------
· · The Mighty Eighth: The Air War in Europe as Told by the Men Who Fought It
Gerald Astor
------
· · Churchill's Ministry of Ungentlemanly Warfare: The Mavericks Who Plotted Hitler's Defeat
Giles Milton
------

And I'd like to get rid of the two dots. I tried copying the long line and doing a find/replace but that didn't work. Any suggestions on how to edit in Word to change the full width line to 5 or 6 dashes in a global one fell swoop? I'm just highlighting and backspacing on the date/zero but hoping to not have to do that and type the dashes every time. Thanks for any input.
LDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 05:52 PM   #2
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
I'm puzzled by what you're trying to do and why.
Are you trying to remove content from a copyright book? I'm not sure this is legal.

If it is legal, why not download the book to your computer and try to do this in Calibre . . . whatever you're trying to do.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 07:36 PM   #3
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post
Are you trying to remove content from a copyright book? I'm not sure this is legal.

If it is legal, why not download the book to your computer and try to do this in Calibre . . . whatever you're trying to do.
I'm guessing the OP wants to edit the list of their Kindle books, copy-pasted from the Content and Devices page.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 10:56 PM   #4
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDB View Post
I went to content and devices and selected my Kindle. Then I clicked view device content. Then I highlighted the content and copy/pasted it into a Word file. What I wound up with is this, plus a solid line full page width between the 0 and the next title that for some reason doesn't show up here as it does in Word:

Spoiler:
· · Code Name: Lise: The True Story of the Woman Who Became WWII's Most Highly Decorated Spy
Larry Loftis
December 12, 2020

· · Act of War: The Sinking of the Lusitania (Kindle Single)
Diana Preston
December 12, 2020

· Blazing Star, Setting Sun: The Guadalcanal-Solomons Campaign November 1942–March 1943
Update Available
Jeffrey Cox
December 11, 2020

What I want to have is this:

· · The Tinfish Run
Ronald Bassett
------
· · The Mighty Eighth: The Air War in Europe as Told by the Men Who Fought It
Gerald Astor
------
· · Churchill's Ministry of Ungentlemanly Warfare: The Mavericks Who Plotted Hitler's Defeat
Giles Milton
------

And I'd like to get rid of the two dots. I tried copying the long line and doing a find/replace but that didn't work. Any suggestions on how to edit in Word to change the full width line to 5 or 6 dashes in a global one fell swoop? I'm just highlighting and backspacing on the date/zero but hoping to not have to do that and type the dashes every time. Thanks for any input.
The only time I tried grabbing stuff from Contents and Devices, I copied and pasted into a text file open in Notepad++. I then removed any string of spaces longer than 1, converted the CR/LF pairs into tabs and then replaced the tab-0-tab triplet with a CR/LF. I used tabs to avoid issues from the ,'s embedded into many titles, etc.

I then opened Excel, and used Get Data to import a tab delimited text file. I then deleted the READs, dates, etc and ended up with a 2 column spreadsheet with title and author.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 01:00 AM   #5
LDB
Baker Street Irregular
LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post

I'm trying to create a Word document of the contents of my Kindle with just the title and author. I can do it all by editing each one individually but was hoping for a global find/replace type solution. In the interim I have done the individual edit of each entry and what started as 29 pages is now 14 pages in Word. I did a reset on my Kindle and wanted to be able to put back pretty much what was in it at the time.
Old 08-02-2021, 01:01 AM   #6
LDB
Baker Street Irregular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
The only time I tried grabbing stuff from Contents and Devices, I copied and pasted into a text file open in Notepad++. I then removed any string of spaces longer than 1, converted the CR/LF pairs into tabs and then replaced the tab-0-tab triplet with a CR/LF. I used tabs to avoid issues from the ,'s embedded into many titles, etc.

I then opened Excel, and used Get Data to import a tab delimited text file. I then deleted the READs, dates, etc and ended up with a 2 column spreadsheet with title and author.
Wow, that's definitely beyond my level of expertise. I got it the way I wanted it, just probably not the most efficient way.
Old 08-02-2021, 01:02 AM   #7
LDB
Baker Street Irregular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
I'm guessing the OP wants to edit the list of their Kindle books, copy-pasted from the Content and Devices page.
That's a good guess. Exactly what I was attempting.
Old 08-02-2021, 06:49 AM   #8
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDB View Post
I'm trying to create a Word document of the contents of my Kindle with just the title and author.
You can do that with Calibre or even a File manager. Calibre doesn't need to be able to read the book contents. Calibre can create a catalogue, though maybe only of imported books, not sure.

Amazon's list will only have books you bought from Amazon.

Also try unformatted copy/paste in Word.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 07:37 PM   #9
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
Oh, I see what you're doing.
I think my method would have been a more basic type-the-list into Word. Otherwise copy - paste then edit.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 02:08 AM   #10
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Amazon should add Export feature to the Content page that exports the data found there.

It should be possible to write a script to extract the data (or maybe a browser plugin).
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote