Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 01-06-2011, 06:29 AM   #1
mastroalex
mastroalex began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-650
[Old Thread] Avoid epub split in several html files?

When I click optimize on my epubs, if the book is massive, they are split in several html files. The annoying thing is that when an html ends, ends the page on the reader as well, and the book continues on the next, like the end of a chapter.
Is there any way to avoid this?
mastroalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 06:50 AM   #2
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
you can repair it with sigil - open the epub in sigil, right lick the offending xhtml page in left hand panel, select merge with previous I don't know of any way to repair in calibre.
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 06:54 AM   #3
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastroalex View Post
When I click optimize on my epubs, if the book is massive, they are split in several html files. The annoying thing is that when an html ends, ends the page on the reader as well, and the book continues on the next, like the end of a chapter.
No. For every device that uses ADE the book has to be broke into html chunks smaller than 300k. This allows low powered devices with minimal memory to provide a responsive reading experience. For the most part it should be relatively seamless.

Some reading software designed to be used on a full computer aren't limited by this restriction.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 07:32 AM   #4
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

but it is possible to manually edit where all the splits occur, so that they align with chapter breaks.

it can be tedious but it's doable in sigil by combining and resplitting as needed so taht both creiterea are bet i.e. each segment is below 300k, and each segment ends at a chapter break. I know of no way to automate this though.

I found the quickest way was to use find function to find CHAPTER in current file in book mode - force a split point before that word, repeat as needed. once no more chapter points are found in current file then open the enxt xhtml in sequence & merge it with previous. the return to the process of search & split on chapter points....

i have patched up some individual .epub like this.
Old 01-06-2011, 08:09 AM   #5
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
No. For every device that uses ADE the book has to be broke into html chunks smaller than 300k. This allows low powered devices with minimal memory to provide a responsive reading experience. For the most part it should be relatively seamless.

Some reading software designed to be used on a full computer aren't limited by this restriction.
It's a reason why I don't read epubs anymore. There are books that don't have a location where you can split. And adding splits while the author didn't intended it, I find that not-done, myself...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 10:43 AM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Use Sigil to pick a good place to start a new 'Chapter'.
Merger the preceding fragment with the section preceding that.

Since it looks really hokey to have some split on Chapters and other not. I split ALL of them
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 11:05 AM   #7
cybmole
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Use Sigil to pick a good place to start a new 'Chapter'.
Merger the preceding fragment with the section preceding that.

Since it looks really hokey to have some split on Chapters and other not. I split ALL of them
if chapter starts are well defined, and file is run through calibre convert, you'll automatically get page breaks fof each chapter start, so all you have to do manually is join any files with mid-chapter splits
Old 01-06-2011, 01:53 PM   #8
mastroalex

I'll give Sigil a try. I'm new to ebooks, as I've been given a PRS-650 for Christmas. I found out that I can't avoid splitting in the conversion output preference Maybe I should use rtf as standard instead of epub.

Last edited by mastroalex; 01-06-2011 at 01:57 PM.
Old 01-06-2011, 02:08 PM   #9
ldolse
Wizard
ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: PRS-650, iPhone
Quote:
I'll give Sigil a try. I'm new to ebooks, as I've been given a PRS-650 for Christmas. Maybe I should use rtf as standard instead of epub.
epub is probably a better standard if your device is a prs-650. It doesn't read rtf, so you would need to convert from rtf to epub anyway and run into the same problem.

There are a lot of ways to get the book to split based on the actual chapters instead of arbitrarily. If the source format is well defined this should happen automatically with no intervention from you. If it's not well defined then you need to go through a bit of effort.

I'm not sure what you mean by the 'optimize my epubs' feature - this isn't one I've come across.

If your original book source is epub and it's already split at random places in the book it means the original publisher of that version did a quick conversion and didn't bother with editing/inserting appropriate chapter breaks - instead they let the conversion utility split at the 260 or 300 bytes which is what's supported by a lot of the readers. There isn't much you can do for a book like that except fix it by hand in Sigil as already mentioned.

If the book is some other format then you have more options. The 'preprocess html' option under structure detection will look for common headings and mark them so that the book is later split at appropriate points. Alternatively you can do a bit of investigation into the actual html and figure out what an appropriate chapter detection xpath is - it's in the same structure detection dialog as the preprocess option.

Lastly page breaks are inserted by default at ever <h1> and <h2> header in the document. You can control/disable this by editing/deleting the 'insert page breaks before' xpath, which is also under structure detection.
ldolse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 03:07 PM   #10
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldolse View Post
epub is probably a better standard if your device is a prs-650. It doesn't read rtf, so you would need to convert from rtf to epub anyway and run into the same problem.
FYI.

The prs-650 does support viewing native rtf files. I know I've viewed rtf files on my prs-505 and I believe that all of the Sony devices support rtf.
Old 01-06-2011, 03:11 PM   #11
ldolse
Wizard
ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: PRS-650, iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
FYI.

The prs-650 does support viewing native rtf files. I know I've viewed rtf files on my prs-505 and I believe that all of the Sony devices support rtf.
Ah - didn't realize that, my bad.
ldolse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 10:30 AM   #12
mastroalex

Yes it supports rtf:

EPUB (file .epub)
File PDF (file .pdf )
BBeB (file .lrf o .lrx)
File di testo (file .txt)
File RTF (file .rtf )
File Word (file .doc o .docx)
Old 01-07-2011, 10:33 AM   #13
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
From what I see on spec sheets, it supports these last two by invoking word and converting the document to RTF. By that definition, one could say it supports MOBI by converting it to EPUB.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 11:12 AM   #14
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
Quote:
From what I see on spec sheets, it supports these last two by invoking word and converting the document to RTF. By that definition, one could say it supports MOBI by converting it to EPUB.
You're right no Sony ereader supports ,doc or .docx directly. These formats have to be converted first. From the spec sheet:

Quote:
Word files will be automatically converted into RTF files during transfer to the Reader only if Microsoft Word is installed on your computer
On the plus side, my 505 now supports Mobi. Whooohoooo!
Old 12-03-2011, 12:51 PM   #15
AppleTard
AppleTard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AppleTard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AppleTard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AppleTard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AppleTard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AppleTard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AppleTard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AppleTard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AppleTard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AppleTard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AppleTard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Looks like I'm screwed, but it doesn't hurt to ask

I'm reading Dolores Claiborne, by Stephen King, and there're no section breaks whatsoever in the book. The book is effectively a single long chapter (with a foreword and an epilogue).

The conversion process splits the book into several HTML files, and adds otherwise non-existent page-breaks. Is there any way to get rid of this behavior (other than increasing the size of the file split)?

I don't care about splitting the file, but I really abhor the extra page-breaks.
AppleTard is offline   Reply With Quote