Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 02-05-2021, 04:00 AM   #46
Adoby
Handy Elephant
Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Thinkpad E595, Ubuntu Mate, Huawei Mediapad 5, Bouye Likebook Plus
Just found two M5Paper in my mailbox! From China to Luxembourg, to Sweden, it seems.

Anyway, the weekend is saved. Or destroyed, depending on the viewpoint...

Looks really nice. But perhaps a little too small to say it has the format of a small e-reader. More of a tiny e-reader. But nice...
Adoby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 10:25 AM   #47
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
My Palm Z22 is only 160x160 pixels and has a choice of two ereader applications still available for download. I did also download the Adobe PDF reader for Palm, but didn't install it Neither of the two PDB formats are very featured.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-07-2021, 12:03 PM   #48
b0rsuk
meles meles
b0rsuk can program the VCR without an owner's manual.b0rsuk can program the VCR without an owner's manual.b0rsuk can program the VCR without an owner's manual.b0rsuk can program the VCR without an owner's manual.b0rsuk can program the VCR without an owner's manual.b0rsuk can program the VCR without an owner's manual.b0rsuk can program the VCR without an owner's manual.b0rsuk can program the VCR without an owner's manual.b0rsuk can program the VCR without an owner's manual.b0rsuk can program the VCR without an owner's manual.b0rsuk can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Pocketbook InkPad 3
I know just enough programming to be dangerous. I'm a web developer learning Rust and trying to transition away from the Frankenweb. At least I know Python.

Can you name some more specific uses for this device? What kind of skills do you train with it? More efficient display algorithms? Reader software? Remote control devices? Turn based games perhaps?
b0rsuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 02:02 PM   #49
Adoby
Handy Elephant
Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

My purpose with this device is to have fun with it.

Think dash and control for sensors, cameras, lights and actuators and other devices. Using MQTT and Node-Red and perhaps some simple edge AI to recognize and feed the cat. And say "Hi, Adoby!" to me. Monitor and control temp/ventilation/water in a greenhouse. Or temp, ventilation and humidity in a root cellar. Water flow, light, pH and TDS in a hydroponics garden. And whatever else you think might be fun to do.

I saw YT channel with a guy that train magpies to pick up litter (only bottle caps for now) and swap it for a peanuts. Really fun idea! But then you may want to monitor the supply of peanuts, right? So you might need some load sensor to measure the weight of the peanut container. Same for the cat food.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8zDLV3gWsY
Old 02-07-2021, 02:40 PM   #50
b0rsuk
meles meles
b0rsuk can program the VCR without an owner's manual.b0rsuk can program the VCR without an owner's manual.b0rsuk can program the VCR without an owner's manual.b0rsuk can program the VCR without an owner's manual.b0rsuk can program the VCR without an owner's manual.b0rsuk can program the VCR without an owner's manual.b0rsuk can program the VCR without an owner's manual.b0rsuk can program the VCR without an owner's manual.b0rsuk can program the VCR without an owner's manual.b0rsuk can program the VCR without an owner's manual.b0rsuk can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Pocketbook InkPad 3
It sounds it should be pretty simple to write a program that generates a random setup for a board game? A character for each player, starting boards (with a few complications, such as boards B and F must not appear in the same game), adversary, scenario?

Or a helper device for board games so I can have something more convenient for tracking scores or whatever instead of tokens? Or calculate end game scores faster in, say, 7 Wonders? There's a touch screen so I could display symbols instead of tokens and manipulate them by pressing or dragging.

Basically I'm asking for any gotchas. I know microPython support is not yet there. Do I need some other boards, arduino, raspberry pi or a welding iron or whatever to start having fun? Do I need to write libraries myself for what could be considered "basic" functionality in web development, like pop-ups or GUI work?
b0rsuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-08-2021, 03:31 AM   #51
Adoby
Handy Elephant

No, it is not simple at all. It is very complicated, the documentation stinks and the learning curve is ridiculously steep. It is intended for makers and DIY. That means that an extremely poor developer experience is expected. A lot of libs are available, but you need to find them. And then check to see if the lib work as you expect them to. And possibly fix them. If you think that sounds fun, then go for it.

There is, as far as I know, no support for dragging. Just up to two simultaneous touch presses. You may be able to use that to create some lib to support dragging, perhaps. Or perhaps someone else has already done that?

Take a look at the UIFlow documentation or the web app to see what GUI functions are supported. Not a lot...

I don't expect to do very fancy stuff with this device. I simply intend to make some panels with buttons to press, some very simple gauges and some simple text labels that depends on what some MQTT broker in the network says. If I had more experience and knowledge, I most likely would be able to do much, much more.

Start with something simpler and cheaper. Build up an infrastructure. Get something running on an Android phone or on a RPi Pico? Setup a MQTT broker and node-red on a RPI4. Control a smart light with MQTT messages.

Last edited by Adoby; 02-08-2021 at 03:52 AM.
Old 02-08-2021, 07:26 AM   #52
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
It's for experienced developers. People experienced with device drivers, writing low level embedded software and writing GUIs on embedded controllers / cpus without QT, Win API, GTK, X-Windows as well as writing applications for very minimalist platforms that don't have Android
Experience with even server side web programming is almost irrelevant. I've done all of that for many years (Embedded applications, device drivers, GUIs for small graphics screen starting from a level of pixel writing, applications for actual OSes such as Windows, Linux, Android and server side web programming from scratch, not just hacking a CMS) so I know the differences and what's involved. I've given up programming now to concentrate on books (ebooks, paper, audio creation/formatting, editing, proofing and some writing and narration.)

Last edited by Quoth; 02-08-2021 at 07:33 AM.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 04:18 PM   #53
hobnail
Running with scissors
hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I'm thinking that what would work for b0rsuk is a device that would let you program in a reasonably high level language, c, python, etc. and had a display, and ran on batteries. Android would fit that bill and I gave it a try but I found it's API to be botched. (Some web sites mentioned Lua and C# but I don't know if they're using the same botched Android API.) Maybe back to the Pi Zero W and a Waveshare display but with a nice enclosure that protected things.
hobnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 04:04 PM   #54
stevenaleach
Enthusiast
stevenaleach can bend spoons with a thought.stevenaleach can bend spoons with a thought.stevenaleach can bend spoons with a thought.stevenaleach can bend spoons with a thought.stevenaleach can bend spoons with a thought.stevenaleach can bend spoons with a thought.stevenaleach can bend spoons with a thought.stevenaleach can bend spoons with a thought.stevenaleach can bend spoons with a thought.stevenaleach can bend spoons with a thought.stevenaleach can bend spoons with a thought.

Device: Android Tablet
Arg... the waiting. It's been ten days since I ordered from DigiKey. Given a non-functioning link to track the order status, I finally called today to check on it. It seems it's back-ordered with a four week standard manufacturer lead-time. Grr.... Arg...

Meanwhile, USPS should be bringing me an M5Faces kit tomorrow.... so at least I'll be familiar with the platform by the time the M5Paper finally arrives.

It also looks like M5 *MIGHT* be releasing an updated version of the Paper later this year. There was a recent Twitter-tease from M5Stack with a pixelated image of a bag containing all the "M5New" for Q1/Q2 2021... and it sure looks like there's a Paper in the bag. https://twitter.com/M5Stack/status/1357559621389479940 So maybe some changes and improvements to come.
stevenaleach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 03:21 PM   #55
hobnail
Running with scissors
hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I just discovered the esp32 subreddit. This was on there:

https://youtu.be/v9sNzmtMSXo

On that youtube page I see two more videos for the m5paper in the list on the right.

Last edited by hobnail; 02-16-2021 at 03:24 PM.
Old 02-17-2021, 12:03 AM   #56
Elektron
Banned
Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O Edition 2 (mark 7), Kobo Mini
UIFlow is out for the M5Paper. I hit them up on Twitter.
Elektron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 06:54 AM   #57
andyh2000
Avid reader
andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Z Flip 4 / Kindle Paperwhite
Nice looking weather station project with an M5Paper:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mbq6BIsMcAs

Andrew
andyh2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 02:03 PM   #58
hobnail
Running with scissors

That's what I want to do. My idea is to use mqtt for the sensor to send data to an android tablet; the tablet would be an mqtt broker. The tablet is always on unlike the computer. Then the e-paper display can fetch it also using mqtt. This would allow me to have more than one display fetching the data.

Here's another display library. It's written for the arduino but that shouldn't be a problem since the esp32 can use the arduino api. I want to try and use espressif's idf api instead of the arduino one.

https://github.com/ZinggJM/GxEPD
Old 02-20-2021, 03:54 PM   #59
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
From a very quick look, I'd say that the M5EPD library designed for the device is a bit more full-featured for drawing and font support.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 07:39 PM   #60
hobnail
Running with scissors

Yes, they do a good job. I'm still thinking about making something using a waveshare e-ink display.

Tags
e-ink diy esp32 m5stack