Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-25-2021, 07:55 AM   #1276
meeera
Wizard
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O2, iPadMini4, MBP; support AuraHD,Kindle,KAura
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Care to give your reasons for this? I mean, a kepub is just an epub with some extra spans in it. As those are easily removed, there should be no reason not to start with the kepub.

Of course, there is a good reason to consider using the epub rather than the kepub, but, it is has nothing to do with "format".
Related (I hope this question is ok here): if I have a book only in kepub format in Calibre, and I try to convert it to epub, it tells me there is no support source format. Is there a plugin or similar to overcome that please?
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 08:15 AM   #1277
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, iPad 4, iPhone SE 2020, PW3
Quote:
Care to give your reasons for this? I mean, a kepub is just an epub with some extra spans in it. As those are easily removed, there should be no reason not to start with the kepub.

Of course, there is a good reason to consider using the epub rather than the kepub, but, it is has nothing to do with "format".
ePub can be read with KOReader and RMSDK. KePub is read with Access. ePub is a better format for for for future use.

With ePub, it's easy enough to convert to KePub if that's what's wanted. Plus Obok in 7.2.1 does not seem to work where removing the DRM from ePub does work.

So what could be done if wanted is to download KePub for use on a Kobo and ePub for storage in Calibre.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 08:20 AM   #1278
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
Related (I hope this question is ok here): if I have a book only in kepub format in Calibre, and I try to convert it to epub, it tells me there is no support source format. Is there a plugin or similar to overcome that please?
No need to convert it to ePub. If you install the Modify ePub plugin, you can strip the KePub code and it will be ePub.

The settings you want for this are...
  • Strip Kobo DRM remnants
  • Strip spans
  • Remove inline javascript and files

I believe that's all you need though you might want other options.
Old 04-25-2021, 08:23 AM   #1279
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
You need an input plugin for the input format and an output plugin for output format. In this case, you need the Kepub Input plugin.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 08:29 AM   #1280
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
No need to convert it to ePub. If you install the Modify ePub plugin, you can strip the KePub code and it will be ePub.

The settings you want for this are...
  • Remove inline javascript and files
  • Strip Kobo DRM remnants
  • Strip spans

I believe that's all you need though you might want other options.

As for the plugins you may want, I suggest installing the KePub Input, KePub Output, the KePub Metadata reader, and the KePub Metadata writer. I'm not sure if you need the input or output plugin to be able to use Modify ePub or if you need them at all.
Old 04-25-2021, 08:58 AM   #1281
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
ePub can be read with KOReader and RMSDK. KePub is read with Access. ePub is a better format for for for future use.
Which doesn't answer my question. And probably works against your statement. You have not given any reason for not starting with kepubs as the source format to use. Yes, having an epub if you are using a lot of different applications. But, if your devices where a Kobo and a Kindle, why store the epub? Just convert from kepub to AZW3 or whatever is your preference.
Quote:
With ePub, it's easy enough to convert to KePub if that's what's wanted.
And it is easy to convert from kepub to epub if that is what you want. If Kobo users are planning to use kepubs, why waste their time with the epub version?
Quote:
Plus Obok in 7.2.1 does not seem to work where removing the DRM from ePub does work.
Well, it seems to be working fine on my Windows 10 laptop, so, just tell everyone to stop using Linux and use Windows. But, it is probably a bug in the Linux code. Or, maybe the plugin needs to be configured. From the code, I'm not sure which it is. But, I suspect it will be easy to fix.
Quote:
So what could be done if wanted is to download KePub for use on a Kobo and ePub for storage in Calibre.
No. Each user should download the book format that is most useful to themselves. And is the easiest for them to use.

And of course, if they download the DRM protected ePub, they are reliant on ADE. Which at any time could be a problem if Adobe starts pushing the newer DRM. Or just simply blocking older ADE. Or if there is an OS upgrade that breaks ADE 2.01.

You have given no real reason why it is better to download the epub instead of the kepub.
Old 04-25-2021, 09:02 AM   #1282
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
As for the plugins you may want, I suggest installing the KePub Input, KePub Output, the KePub Metadata reader, and the KePub Metadata writer. I'm not sure if you need the input or output plugin to be able to use Modify ePub or if you need them at all.
If you are going to give advice, please actually do some research and tell people what they actually need. The Modify ePub does plugin does not use ANY other plugins. And the four plugins you mention are only needed if you are going to have kepubs in your calibre library.
Old 04-25-2021, 10:53 AM   #1283
meeera
Wizard
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O2, iPadMini4, MBP; support AuraHD,Kindle,KAura
Quote:
You need an input plugin for the input format and an output plugin for output format. In this case, you need the Kepub Input plugin.
Works perfectly; many thanks!
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 11:54 AM   #1284
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Quote:
Is there something special about the kepubs from Kobo vs those generated on the fly by Calibre, in reference to meeera's question?

I use the on-the-fly conversion to generate kepubs. I added the generated kepub back into Calibre and Calibre recognized it as an epub and was able to do a epub-epub conversion. The only plugins I have installed are KoboTouchExtended, DeDRM, and Kobo utilities.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 07:55 PM   #1285
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Is there something special about the kepubs from Kobo vs those generated on the fly by Calibre, in reference to meeera's question?

I use the on-the-fly conversion to generate kepubs. I added the generated kepub back into Calibre and Calibre recognized it as an epub and was able to do a epub-epub conversion. The only plugins I have installed are KoboTouchExtended, DeDRM, and Kobo utilities.
There shouldn't be anything different about the kepubs generated by the extended driver or a conversion. The code for creating them was written after examining downloaded kepubs.

If you add the kepub to the library as an epub, you don't need the plugins I mentioned. As far as calibre is concerned, it is an epub. Nothing in calibre will do anything with the spans. About the only difference in behaviour is that when you send the book to the device using the extended driver, it will see the spans and not need to add them. Sending the book will be faster.

It would make sense to have an option in the Obok plugin to add the deDRMed book as a kepub. Then people who want to use kepubs, but not sync, would be able to use the original unchanged book on the device. And can easily convert to other formats as needed.
Old 04-26-2021, 05:20 AM   #1286
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
There shouldn't be anything different about the kepubs generated by the extended driver or a conversion. The code for creating them was written after examining downloaded kepubs.

If you add the kepub to the library as an epub, you don't need the plugins I mentioned. As far as calibre is concerned, it is an epub. Nothing in calibre will do anything with the spans. About the only difference in behaviour is that when you send the book to the device using the extended driver, it will see the spans and not need to add them. Sending the book will be faster.

It would make sense to have an option in the Obok plugin to add the deDRMed book as a kepub. Then people who want to use kepubs, but not sync, would be able to use the original unchanged book on the device. And can easily convert to other formats as needed.
So why did meera initially receive a message:

Quote:
Old 04-26-2021, 06:55 AM   #1287
lkmiller
Laura
lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook Glowlight Plus 7.8", Kindle Oasis 2, Onyx T68 Lynx
I usually do use ADE and DeDRM, but I was testing the latest Obok as an alternative. One of the reasons I like buying books from Kobo is that there's more than one tool to free them.

ETA: Again Obok 7.2.1 wouldn't decrypt my Kobo Desktop books on Windows 10. Going back to 7.1.0 worked fine.

Last edited by lkmiller; 04-26-2021 at 07:02 AM.
lkmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 08:59 AM   #1288
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
So why did meera initially receive a message:
Because @meera added the book to library as a kepub, not as an epub. Hence:

Quote:
Old 04-26-2021, 11:17 AM   #1289
John F
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Because @meera added the book to library as a kepub, not as an epub. Hence:
I'm a little confused. How do you add a kepub to Calibre as a kepub? I added a kepub file, extension *.kepub.epub, and it was added as an epub.
Old 04-26-2021, 12:43 PM   #1290
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Clara HD, Nexus 7 HD, iPad Pro, Tolino epos
Quote:
I'm a little confused. How do you add a kepub to Calibre as a kepub? I added a kepub file, extension *.kepub.epub, and it was added as an epub.
You add it as filename.kepub without the .epub. Kepubify has an option to do this for files you are going to add to calibre.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote