Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 09-08-2009, 08:00 AM   #46
wayspooled
Crab In The Dark
wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Tablet PC until a 10" comes out that I like
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Lathe of Heaven - Ursula K. Le Guin ....did that get mentioned already? Excellent and there was a excellent TV adaptation a while back as well.
Yeah, good probably unintentional point.. a lot of these authors wrote great fantasy as well as great sci/fi..
wayspooled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 08:09 AM   #47
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Are you saying you consider Lathe of Heaven Fantasy?
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-08-2009, 08:30 AM   #48
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
They're not release in the last "5-6 years", but Sheri S. Tepper's Grass and Raising the Stones are two of my all-time favourite SF books...and I just recall that they're on the very, very short list of books I've read more than once. Sideshow, the third novel in that sequence, I recall being ambivalent about (note that the first two, at least, can be read as free-standing novels quite happily). It might be time for another re-read.

Cheers,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 09:05 AM   #49
wayspooled
Crab In The Dark
wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Tablet PC until a 10" comes out that I like
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Are you saying you consider Lathe of Heaven Fantasy?
ehhhhh... <slaps himself>

My eyes saw "Lathe of Heaven" but my brain saw "Earthsea" both of which were recently on tv.. heh.. nevermind me.. :P

No, Lathe of Heaven is science fiction....
wayspooled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 10:17 AM   #50
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayspooled View Post
ehhhhh... <slaps himself>

My eyes saw "Lathe of Heaven" but my brain saw "Earthsea" both of which were recently on tv.. heh.. nevermind me.. :P

No, Lathe of Heaven is science fiction....
Ah, got it. No wonder I was a bit confused.

You are right about certain authors writing various genres though.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-08-2009, 05:31 PM   #51
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider
BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3g Kindle Keyboard
Mark Van Name - One Jump Ahead (he's with Baen so e-files should be available.) I reviewed it at my blog a long while back and One Jump Ahead was on my best reads of 2008!!! Good stuff.
BearMountainBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 09:09 AM   #52
mediax
Readaholic
mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T2 (previously 505 and 650)
+1 for Neal Stephenson
+1 for Iain M. Banks
mediax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 02:39 PM   #53
ShellShock
Wizard
ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Mini 2 Retina
Someone has already mentioned Stephen Baxter, but as he is such a prolific author, in slightly different sub-genres, I thought I would mention three of his books that are some of my favourite sci-fi novels:

Voyage: a believable depiction of a NASA expedition to Mars.

Titan: even more adventurous--this time NASA goes to Titan; again very believable with a nice unexpected coda.

I have read both Voyage and Titan several times.

Evolution: this also stands out as one I will have to read again, although I can't remember much of the plot now!
ShellShock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 12:32 AM   #54
Andybaby
Wizard
Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-700
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellShock View Post
Someone has already mentioned Stephen Baxter, but as he is such a prolific author, in slightly different sub-genres, I thought I would mention three of his books that are some of my favourite sci-fi novels:

Voyage: a believable depiction of a NASA expedition to Mars.
Now that sounds good, I've been wanting to read a book like that. watching defying gravity makes me want to read some Nasa/astronaut books
Andybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 08:38 AM   #55
nobla
nobla began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
Sci FI

I love my Sci-Fi, especially hard sci-fi.

I would highly recommend:

Neal Asher (Gridlinked is a good one to start with)
Alistair Reynolds (start with Revelation Space)
Peter F. Hamilton (especially the excellent Nights Dawn trilogy)
Charles Stross
Iain M. Banks (especially the Culture books)
Dan Simmons (the Hyperion Cantos - starting with Hyperion)
Richard Morgan

A bit biased towards UK authors, but IMO thats where the best Sci-Fi currently comes from

Anthony

Last edited by nobla; 09-10-2009 at 09:24 AM. Reason: speeling
nobla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 11:34 AM   #56
Angst
Cannon Fodder
Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, Kindle DX, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobla View Post
I love my Sci-Fi, especially hard sci-fi.

I would highly recommend:

Neal Asher (Gridlinked is a good one to start with)
Alistair Reynolds (start with Revelation Space)
Peter F. Hamilton (especially the excellent Nights Dawn trilogy)
Charles Stross
Iain M. Banks (especially the Culture books)
Dan Simmons (the Hyperion Cantos - starting with Hyperion)
Richard Morgan

A bit biased towards UK authors, but IMO thats where the best Sci-Fi currently comes from

Anthony

Altered Carbon by Richard Morgan is one of my favorites.
Angst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 10:57 PM   #57
Andybaby
Wizard
Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-700
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobla View Post

Anthony
I find that british authors are harder to read than american authors for me. that language and grammar and tensing is just different enough that I have to read alot of sentences twice to understand it.

American and English are different languages, don't let anyone tell you different.

but then again so is south carolinan and New yorkin. sure we can ussually understand eachother. its not ussally comfortable though

(not as different than Spanish is between spain and puerto rico. but it is different)
Andybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 08:50 AM   #58
ShellShock
Wizard
ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Mini 2 Retina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andybaby View Post
American and English are different languages, don't let anyone tell you different.
I'm going to tell you different, but it is up to you as to whether you agree. I have tried to learn French, Greek and Spanish in the past and have failed miserably. Now that is what I call different languages. English and American English don't come anywhere near. I am English and I read a lot of both American and British sci-fi, and language has never been an issue for me.
ShellShock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 03:41 PM   #59
brokene60
brokene60 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Arthur C Clarke
brokene60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 03:49 PM   #60
BlackVoid
Evangelist
BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
A few more:
Spin by Robert Charles Wilson
Starplex by Robert J. Sawyer
The Bohr Maker by Linda Nagata

The last one is a bit older - from 1995, but it is less well known and brilliant.

TO OTHER POSTERS: The topic starter was asking NEW sci-fi, not decades old stuff.
BlackVoid is offline   Reply With Quote