Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 06-02-2009, 01:08 PM   #1
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Why use the companion software?

Can anyone explain what the companion software is actually for? When I run it, it just looks like a not terribly good "File Manager", except that it's obviously doing something wierd with my internet connection, because I can't access any web sites while it's running .

Is there any reason not to copy files directly to the mounted drive in Windows Explorer, rather than use the companion software?

Apologies if I'm missing something blindingly obvious. I've only read the first few pages of the manual so far.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 01:18 PM   #2
smp_iliad
Connoisseur
smp_iliad has learned how to read e-bookssmp_iliad has learned how to read e-bookssmp_iliad has learned how to read e-bookssmp_iliad has learned how to read e-bookssmp_iliad has learned how to read e-bookssmp_iliad has learned how to read e-bookssmp_iliad has learned how to read e-books

Device: KindleDX, iPhone3Gs
The DR keeps scribbles in separate meta data file in a same directory. So when you copy or move a file, the metadata must be moved as well. That's why they have a file management functions in the companion software. Also there's a scribble-merge function, though its quality is less than desired.
smp_iliad is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-02-2009, 01:23 PM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thank you. If I'm just copying eBooks, though, with no "scribbles", etc, there's no reason not to copy directly to the drive, is there?

Any idea why my internet connection goes "strange" while it's running? That's slightly worrying!
Old 06-02-2009, 01:33 PM   #4
smp_iliad
Connoisseur
smp_iliad has learned how to read e-bookssmp_iliad has learned how to read e-bookssmp_iliad has learned how to read e-bookssmp_iliad has learned how to read e-bookssmp_iliad has learned how to read e-bookssmp_iliad has learned how to read e-bookssmp_iliad has learned how to read e-books

Device: KindleDX, iPhone3Gs
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Thank you. If I'm just copying eBooks, though, with no "scribbles", etc, there's no reason not to copy directly to the drive, is there?

Any idea why my internet connection goes "strange" while it's running? That's slightly worrying!

Maybe my answer was half correct. You can copy your ebooks or pdfs from your PC to DR WITHOUT using companion s/w. However, when you copy or move files within DR, you must use companion s/w if you don't want to lose your scribbles or other metadata (like font size, etc).

In my setup, I have a directory in my PC that I keep every DR documents and use file sync. program (MS. SyncToy is very good) to synchronize the directory with DR.
smp_iliad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 01:57 PM   #5
pthwaite
Fanatic
pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: DR1000S Sony PRS505 iPad iPhone
Harry, I have no idea why your internet would act up when connected. However, during the initial connection the DR1000 will use the internet to check to see if any updates are available. Perhaps this is the problem ? I can run the companion software on PC and Mac running parallels with no issues.

As others have indicated, the only time you need teh companion software is for "merging" any scribbles you have made. The data for these is held in the metadata.db file in each directory and so there is a bit of care needed if you don't use the companion software. That said, I only use the Companion software for merging while in the office and tied to a Windows PC. The merging functionality within the software is poor to say the least. There are others within this forum that have developed alternative merging software which may be worth a look.

Otherwise, just drag and drop as you see fit. It works for me.
pthwaite is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-02-2009, 03:20 PM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by smp_iliad View Post
Maybe my answer was half correct. You can copy your ebooks or pdfs from your PC to DR WITHOUT using companion s/w. However, when you copy or move files within DR, you must use companion s/w if you don't want to lose your scribbles or other metadata (like font size, etc).
Or do the file management on the DR itself, presumably? I assume that correctly moves the metadata with the document?
Old 06-02-2009, 11:33 PM   #7
cbell
Frenetic
cbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipse

Device: iLiad V2
You also use the Companion software to create (and uncreate) templates. This will determine whether a new file is created from a template when you open it. I also use the Companion software when I'm creating new folders, so the metadata.db file is created.

Otherwise, I do the file management on the DR's screen.

(OK, so uncreate isn't the correct word. Its how you can make a template stop being a template.)
cbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 11:34 PM   #8
PhishStyx
The me that I am
PhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 1 & DR 1000s
You'll also need the companion software anytime you create a new directory on the DR, so that it will create that metadata.db file.
PhishStyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 11:36 PM   #9
cbell
Frenetic
cbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipse

Device: iLiad V2
*snap* PhishStyx!
cbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 11:41 PM   #10
PhishStyx
The me that I am
PhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbell View Post
*snap* PhishStyx!
DOH!!
Old 06-03-2009, 01:00 AM   #11
Grimulkan
Lord
Grimulkan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Grimulkan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Grimulkan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Grimulkan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Q1 (on way out), PRS505, DR1000S (dead :<), TC1100 (10'' perfection!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhishStyx View Post
You'll also need the companion software anytime you create a new directory on the DR, so that it will create that metadata.db file.
I thought the DR did that on its own if you ever navigated to that folder, and you only need the companion software to mark up documents (like tag them as a template). You can avoid even that if you get a tiny SQLite database reader/editor.
Grimulkan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 05:22 AM   #12
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Device: Bookeen Opus (i love that thing) and iPad (what an irony)
the companion software is utterly crap. Sorry to say that, but its true. The only time i use it ist, when i really need to move a file to a different location and dont want to loose bookmarks, scribbles or other meta data.

Other than that i use the irex tools to merge scribbles into pdf files. works nicely (on a mac though, havent tested that on a windows machine yet).

I personally wished, they had only used one db file per medium and used hash values to identify names in addition to storage position, so they could recover metadata on a moved file. They should get rid of the companion software and have all that functionality on the DR itself.
tribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 08:52 AM   #13
pthwaite
Fanatic
pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: DR1000S Sony PRS505 iPad iPhone
I would agree that the ability to merger your scibbles from within the DR itself would be of enormous benefit and largely negate the need for the companion software.
pthwaite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 12:13 PM   #14
PhishStyx
The me that I am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimulkan View Post
I thought the DR did that on its own if you ever navigated to that folder, and you only need the companion software to mark up documents (like tag them as a template). You can avoid even that if you get a tiny SQLite database reader/editor.
The few times that I've tried navigating to a folder on the DR created without that software, I don't think it produced that metadata file (although it's been a while, so I could be misremembering).

More recently since I updated to firmware 1.6, I have begun having a situation where a directory also creates a file called metadata.db-journal, which makes opening the directory on the DR impossible. Has anyone else run into this?
Old 06-08-2009, 10:28 AM   #15
tjdean256
Zealot
tjdean256 is on a distinguished road

Device: irex dr1000s; Pocket edge
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhishStyx View Post
More recently since I updated to firmware 1.6, I have begun having a situation where a directory also creates a file called metadata.db-journal, which makes opening the directory on the DR impossible. Has anyone else run into this?
I ran into that problem last night. I was using Xournal working on a 4-page note, closed that, then opened a PDF file. When I tried to reopen the pdf file I couldn't get into the directory. I also could not save any Xournal files. Metadata.db-journal was in the pdf directory and deleting the metadata.db file in the directory I keep Xournal notes fixed both problems.

td
tjdean256 is offline   Reply With Quote