Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-28-2012, 05:35 AM   #1
EternalCyclist
EternalCyclist for a long time would go to bed early.EternalCyclist for a long time would go to bed early.EternalCyclist for a long time would go to bed early.EternalCyclist for a long time would go to bed early.EternalCyclist for a long time would go to bed early.EternalCyclist for a long time would go to bed early.EternalCyclist for a long time would go to bed early.EternalCyclist for a long time would go to bed early.EternalCyclist for a long time would go to bed early.EternalCyclist for a long time would go to bed early.EternalCyclist for a long time would go to bed early.

Device: KT
Navit on Kindle Touch

Navit is an Open Source navigation software which also runs on Kindle Touch.
Due to the window title filtering of the KT windowmanager the ready-made version from Debian does not show up on the display.
A lot of the Navit features are configurable in navit.xml. But the window title is hard coded.
Therefore I recompiled a patched version of the current svn repo.

The patch:
Spoiler:

--- a/navit/graphics/gtk_drawing_area/graphics_gtk_drawing_area.c Sat Oct 27 09:14:07 2012 +0200
+++ b/navit/graphics/gtk_drawing_area/graphics_gtk_drawing_area.c Sun Oct 28 10:10:53 2012 +0100
@@ -18,6 +18,7 @@
*/

#define GDK_ENABLE_BROKEN
+#include "windowtitle.h"
#include "config.h"
#include <stdlib.h>
#include <signal.h>
@@ -1240,7 +1241,7 @@
if ((attr=attr_search(attrs, NULL, attr_window_title)))
this->window_title=g_strdup(attr->u.str);
else
- this->window_title=g_strdup("Navit");
+ this->window_title=g_strdup(WINDOW_TITLE);
this->cbl=cbl;
this->colormap=gdk_colormap_new(gdk_visual_get_system() ,FALSE);

The window title is defined in windowtitle.h:
Code:
#define WINDOW_TITLE  "L:D_N:application_ID:navit"
Configuration:
Spoiler:

Code:
./configure \
  --disable-samplemap \
  --disable-graphics-opengl --disable-binding-win32 --disable-graphics-win32 \
  --disable-graphics-gd --disable-graphics-qt-painter --disable-gui-gtk --disable-gui-win32

Compiling directly on KT Debian I had some troubles with configure and needed to change config.h manually. Sry, no diff. But only two or three defines.

Navit seems to have no multitouch capabilities and therefore pinch-zoom does not work. While riding/driving zoom buttons are easier to use. That and other options can be defined in the navit.xml. The following patch to navit.xml does not show color adjustments of the map.
Spoiler:

Code:
--- navit/navit.xml     2012-10-28 09:44:04.000000000 +0100
+++ /home/tt/navit.xml  2012-10-28 09:34:47.000000000 +0100
@@ -34,7 +34,8 @@
        <navit center="4808 N 1134 E" zoom="256" tracking="1" orientation="-1" recent_dest="250">
                <!-- Use one of gtk_drawing_area, qt_qpainter or sdl. 
                     On windows systems, use win32 -->
-               <graphics type="gtk_drawing_area"/>
+               <graphics type="gtk_drawing_area" w="600" h="800" enabled="yes"/>
+               <graphics type="sdl" w="600" h="800"  enabled="no"/>
                <!-- The following line let you select which graphical user interface you'd like to use.
                Options include internal (optimized for touch screen devices), gtk (useful for desktop computers).
                If you don't like the internal gui, set enabled=yes for the following tag and enabled=no for the gui internal tag -->
@@ -111,12 +112,12 @@
                        Usage of negative values change the button origins. x="0" y="0" specifies the top left, x="-0" y="-0" the bottom right corner.
                        It's always the top left corner of the icon, so you need to consider the icon's size when you enter the values. -->
                <osd enabled="no" type="button" x="0" y="0" command="gui.fullscreen=!gui.fullscreen" src="toggle_fullscreen.png"/>
-               <osd enabled="no" type="button" x="-96" y="0" command="gui.menu(1)" src="menu.png"/>
-               <osd enabled="no" type="button" x="-96" y="-96" command="zoom_in()" src="zoom_in.png"/>
-               <osd enabled="no" type="button" x="0" y="-96" command="zoom_out()" src="zoom_out.png"/> 
+               <osd enabled="yes" type="button" x="-96" y="0" command="gui.menu(1)" src="menu.png"/>
+               <osd enabled="yes" type="button" x="-96" y="-96" command="zoom_in()" src="zoom_in.png"/>
+               <osd enabled="yes" type="button" x="0" y="-96" command="zoom_out()" src="zoom_out.png"/> 

<!-- Vehicle with GPS enabled for gpsd on unix -->
-               <vehicle name="Local GPS" profilename="car" enabled="yes" active="1" source="gpsd://localhost" gpsd_query="w+xj">
+               <vehicle name="Local GPS" profilename="bike" enabled="yes" active="1" source="gpsd://localhost" gpsd_query="w+xj">
                <!-- Vehicle with GPS enabled for direct communication on windows. Remove the line above if you use this. -->
                <!-- <vehicle name="Local GPS" profilename="car" follow="1" enabled="yes" active="1" 
                                source="serial:COM4 baud=4800 parity=N data=8 stop=1" > -->
@@ -128,7 +129,7 @@
                <!-- For SDL, you should add follow="1" to have the view centered on your position -->
                <!-- <vehicle name="Meins" enabled="yes" source="gpsd://localhost" color="#0000ff" follow="1"/> -->

-               <vehicle name="Demo" profilename="car" enabled="no" active="yes" source="demo://"/>
+               <vehicle name="Demo" profilename="bike" enabled="no" active="yes" source="demo://"/>

<!-- For the cumulative displacement filter to be enabled, set cdf_histsize="x" here, with x being an integer somewhere around 4 -->
                <tracking cdf_histsize="0"/>

I thought enabling the main menu button would disable the jump to main menu when touching the map at any place. But the does not help.

TODO:
* build a kernel with USB OTG support in order to connect a GPS receiver
* disable jump-to-main-on-touch
* configure map colors and text sizes for better readability.
* get SDL framebuffer version running.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	navitkindle1.jpg
Views:	680
Size:	43.3 KB
ID:	95066  

Last edited by EternalCyclist; 10-28-2012 at 05:35 AM. Reason: typo
EternalCyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 06:18 AM   #2
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
SDL

Something you may or may not have noticed:
twobob has done a lot of work on getting SDL working on the Kindles here.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-28-2012, 10:14 AM   #3
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Tır
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
for:

Adjusting window titles after creation. hiding the "main" home window dynamically.
resizing and relayering... etc...

Touch management bundle
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=194270
If you don't mind manipulating the touch UI with a few external tools then this is a helpful resource.

Re: SDL FB version.

I feel that just throwing it at buildroot (with the right Config) would just "make" the SDL FB version OOTB but I'd have to check the code.

I recall someone putting a bluetooth attachment in place of the wifi card.
that might be a very permanent solution

Yup SDL FB does now start and run but the ordered dither still needs implementing properly for decent screen update speed. There is a few notes about likely places in the fbcon code to make insertions and amendments in the prboom thread and of course GM's graphics threads.

This Lack of SDL FB ordered dither is now a bit of an Achilles Heel for many projects so perhaps it will escalate priority accordingly. I have had a read over the code and a few tests but it's on the edge of my understanding right now. feel free to dive in and help on that. I have a few bits of code that might help. I am having a hard time getting it "done".

if by "disable jump-to-main-on-touch" you mean prevent the main process grabbing the input. Like prevent the "home" page grabbing clicks and stuff:

a script like this:

PHP Code:
#xdotool windowminimize 0x1200002  ==

for i in $(xwininfo -tree -root grep "home" | \
grep --e 0x[a-z0-9][a-z0-9][a-z0-9][a-z0-9][a-z0-9][a-z0-9]* ); do

xdotool windowminimize $i
    done 
might be a decent start.

(The opposite script and others are on the management page)

also

Code:
(Allow status bar optionally)
wmctrl -r L:D_N:application_ID:navit -e 0,5,30,592,710 

handy for making apps topmost 
(you are using the Dialog layer Title however so not needed but meh)
wmctrl -r L:D_N:application_ID:navit -b toggle,above
and here's what I ended up with for ENVs so far (non exhaustive list)

Quote:
TSLIB_CONSOLEDEVICE=none TSLIB_FBDEVICE=/dev/fb0 TSLIB_TSDEVICE=/dev/input/event3 TSLIB_CONFFILE=/mnt/us/etc/ts.conf TSLIB_PLUGINDIR=/mnt/us/usr/lib/ts SDL_VIDEODRIVER=fbcon
SDL_MOUSEDRV=TSLIB AUDIODEV=/dev/snd SDL_AUDIODRIVER=alsa navit
Perhaps some of that may prove helpful?

Last edited by twobob; 10-28-2012 at 10:27 AM. Reason: layout was horrible
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 12:29 PM   #4
EternalCyclist
EternalCyclist for a long time would go to bed early.EternalCyclist for a long time would go to bed early.EternalCyclist for a long time would go to bed early.EternalCyclist for a long time would go to bed early.EternalCyclist for a long time would go to bed early.EternalCyclist for a long time would go to bed early.EternalCyclist for a long time would go to bed early.EternalCyclist for a long time would go to bed early.EternalCyclist for a long time would go to bed early.EternalCyclist for a long time would go to bed early.EternalCyclist for a long time would go to bed early.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobob View Post
Perhaps some of that may prove helpful?
Thank you, twobob. That was really helpful.

I just found out, that yifanlu's launcher renames the window title of navit, so that it is visible. But this does not work on all x-apps (i.e. xclock, xeyes,...). With wmctrl I can make everything visible.

"jump-to-main-on-touch":
I was refering to navit's internal behaviour. It switches to menu immediately when I touch the map. Shouldn't be difficult to fix.

SDL and direct Touch-Managment is very interesting. But I need to get USB OTG to run first.

While reconfiguring the kernel sources, I discovered that ehci-hcd is included as module.
Code:
modprobe -l
shows
Code:
/lib/modules/2.6.31-rt11-lab126/kernel/drivers/usb/host/ehci-hcd.ko
. A quick test with
Code:
insmod ehci-hcd
and plugging in a memory stick via a modified, externally powered USB hub does not give any results. I'm afraid I have to read the docs.
Old 10-28-2012, 12:40 PM   #5
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Kernel changes

BIG NOTE:
If what you need can be done as an external module -
You do not have to "reconfigure" (and re-build) the stock kernel -
We (well, twobob) have been able to build kernel modules "missing" from the 'stock' kernel build.
Yes, there are threads here on that (you might want to just search for and bookmark every thread here that twobob has ever started).

(twobob does the real work, I just stand on the side and cheerlead.)
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-28-2012, 03:22 PM   #6
aranwe
Enthusiast
aranwe , Klaatu Barada Niktu!aranwe , Klaatu Barada Niktu!aranwe , Klaatu Barada Niktu!aranwe , Klaatu Barada Niktu!aranwe , Klaatu Barada Niktu!aranwe , Klaatu Barada Niktu!aranwe , Klaatu Barada Niktu!aranwe , Klaatu Barada Niktu!aranwe , Klaatu Barada Niktu!aranwe , Klaatu Barada Niktu!aranwe , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kindle Touch
by the way .. since OTG is a bit of longer run i've been thinking about hooking up the GPS receiver to the serial port inside kindle ... i guess there would have to be some atmel or similar chip to make it communicate with the port ...
aranwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 02:48 PM   #7
EternalCyclist

@twobob: I had no deep look into your SDL postings yet. I have pygame (Debian) running on K4 and K5. Of course, I have to trigger screen redraw after every pygame.display.flip(). It works on K5 even with running Xorg and framework. Therefore I thought Navit could run almost out of the box on SDL. Maybe I have to do some SDL configuration. For pygame HWSURFACE|FULLSCREEN) seems to be needed.

@knc1: Building and copying only the few modified modules eases experimenting. Thanks.

@aranwe: Initially I bought the Kindle(s) to use it as a display for some an AVR, MSP or ARM microcontroller. Serial port seems to be the easiest way. But I was hoping to be able to reconfigure the USB pins of the Kindle controller and do some bitbanging. But since I found this V-USB software-only-USB-library I am keen to get OTG running on Kindle. This also would allow to connect a memory stick and an USB mouse together with my AVR.

Disabling "jump-to-main-on-touch" is possible in the navit.xml:

Code:
  <gui type="internal" enabled="yes" menu_on_map_click='0'>
I discovered some guesture based zoom function, which I consider useless and hope to find a config switch for that, too.
Old 10-30-2012, 03:18 PM   #8
baf
Evangelist
baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kt
Quote:
Originally Posted by EternalCyclist View Post
But I need to get USB OTG to run first.

A quick test with
Code:
insmod ehci-hcd
and plugging in a memory stick via a modified, externally powered USB hub does not give any results. I'm afraid I have to read the docs.
You need more then this, at least fsl_otg_arc module.
I built all the needed modules with otg support from amazon sources for K5. However it doesn't work. Kindle doesn't switch to host mode. Maybe I have wrong cable, but it's rather what Christian was writing about in his blog.
I will have to look into his patches.
baf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 06:07 AM   #9
twobob
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

AAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaand this thread died.

Big shame.

And so did Christians website. BIGGER shame
Old 09-11-2013, 11:24 PM   #10
brianinmaine
Evangelist
brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Touch (5.3.7)
An interesting read, thank you. Maybe I'll try it - I've not done any patching, so off to 'boldly go, to seek out'
brianinmaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 05:12 AM   #11
brianinmaine
Evangelist
brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Touch (5.3.7)
I tried to follow all this - never did svn or patches or ... BUT FINALLY:

I was able to compile it using the configure script in the first post. For some reason, patching did not work (not exact file version??) so I edited the files manually (changing the - lines to the + lines). I'm very confident that this was done correctly. I attached the files for it all to be extracted to extensions. I included a complete log file of the startup from ssh.

a snippet from the end:
Code:
Loaded symbols for /usr/lib/libffi.so.5
Reading symbols from /usr/lib/libglib-2.0.so.0...done.
Loaded symbols for /usr/lib/libglib-2.0.so.0
Reading symbols from /lib/librt.so.1...done.
Loaded symbols for /lib/librt.so.1
Reading symbols from /lib/libnss_files.so.2...done.
Loaded symbols for /lib/libnss_files.so.2
0x400e6894 in ?? () from /lib/libc.so.6
#0 0x400e6894 in ?? () from /lib/libc.so.6
Cannot access memory at address 0x0
Detaching from program: /mnt/us/extensions/navit/bin/navit, process 8740
map_rect_new_textfile unable to open textfile /tmp/root/.navit/bookmark.txt. Error: No such file or directory
What does the libc error mean? Any guesses what I might have done wrong?
Attached Files
File Type: zip navit.zip (1,023.2 KB, 254 views)
brianinmaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 07:24 AM   #12
twobob

Dereferencing an Uninitialized Pointer maybe??
http://www.cprogramming.com/debugging/segfaults.html

or...
Run 2: segfaulter.c
http://www.cs.swarthmore.edu/~newhal...howto_gdb.html

3/4 way down page.
Old 09-19-2013, 07:57 AM   #13
baf
Evangelist
baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kt
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianinmaine View Post
Code:
map_rect_new_textfile unable to open textfile /tmp/root/.navit/bookmark.txt. Error: No such file or directory
What about this? Did you try to fix it?
baf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 08:18 AM   #14
twobob

http://sourceforge.net/p/navit/code/.../navit/navit.c

Code:
navit_get_user_data_directory(int create) {
	char *dir;
	dir = getenv("NAVIT_USER_DATADIR");
	if (create && !file_exists(dir)) {
		dbg(0,"creating dir %s\n", dir);
		if (file_mkdir(dir,0)) {
			dbg(0,"failed creating dir %s\n", dir);
			return NULL;
		}
	}
	return dir;
} /* end: navit_get_user_data_directory(gboolean create) */
so you shouldnt need to make the dir AFAIK.

perhaps nose around in there a bit more and see if that (baf) error traces back to something obvious. does the file exist?

http://wiki.navit-project.org/index....pment#Building
for latestish building notes

There are some successful build logs for various versions that might be worth a once over here: http://download.navit-project.org/logs/navit/
meh not so interesting

Honestly though? I am just not sure.

Last edited by twobob; 09-19-2013 at 08:51 AM.
Old 09-19-2013, 05:20 PM   #15
TheWizard
TheWizard has much to be proud ofTheWizard has much to be proud ofTheWizard has much to be proud ofTheWizard has much to be proud ofTheWizard has much to be proud ofTheWizard has much to be proud ofTheWizard has much to be proud ofTheWizard has much to be proud ofTheWizard has much to be proud ofTheWizard has much to be proud ofTheWizard has much to be proud of

Device: Kindle 3 Wi-Fi, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by EternalCyclist View Post
Navit seems to have no multitouch capabilities and therefore pinch-zoom does not work. While riding/driving zoom buttons are easier to use. That and other options can be defined in the navit.xml.
My 5.3.3 firmware sources contain the X11 multitouch driver as described here:
https://github.com/BlueDragonX/xf86-...ster/README.md

So I gather if you can redefine Navit's ZoomIN as BTN12 and ZoomOUT as BTN13, you might be in business. The keycodes for Navit's config files are all hardcoded in keys.h, some hackery will be needed to expose these extra X11 touch gestures.

I've been riding bikes using Kindles with PDF maps & cuesheets. Navit with GPS would be the holy grail for long distance trips. Garmin's bike devices crash over very long routes and are generally fussy. I have a GPS chip (Fastrax UC430) that works over 1.8v TTL serial that I've been meaning to put inside my KPW, but I need to hack the bootloader to redirect the kernel console away from it.

Last edited by TheWizard; 09-19-2013 at 05:33 PM. Reason: found where the zoom keys need to patched in navit
TheWizard is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
k5 tools