Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 02-05-2011, 07:29 PM   #1
dicknskip
Zealot
dicknskip began at the beginning.

Device: iPad V-3
Combine epub segments

This may have been asked, but all my searches don't find the answer. If an epub has been split into segments, as many eReaders require, and I have a reason to edit it, I know that Sigil works well, but - how can I put it back together into one xhtml file to ease the WYSIWIG process? I tried Calibre epub-epub conversion and it doesn't combine the segments. Am I missing a -- option on the ebook-convert? It can be a pain doing copy-paste on a 40 or 50 chapter book.
dicknskip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 08:49 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by dicknskip View Post
This may have been asked, but all my searches don't find the answer. If an epub has been split into segments, as many eReaders require, and I have a reason to edit it, I know that Sigil works well, but - how can I put it back together into one xhtml file to ease the WYSIWIG process? I tried Calibre epub-epub conversion and it doesn't combine the segments. Am I missing a -- option on the ebook-convert? It can be a pain doing copy-paste on a 40 or 50 chapter book.
If you can find (in CV) a unique 'Find' expression, Sigil will replace with your text over all X/HTML. ( a simple find- Next: <body , will open each section. Past in the right place and hit Find-Next. Repeat )
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-05-2011, 09:51 PM   #3
dicknskip
Zealot

Sorry, should have mentioned that I know Sigil will deal with the code across units. However, it does an amazing job as a WYSIWYG and I just wanted to pull things together and use that facility.
Old 02-05-2011, 10:47 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by dicknskip View Post
Sorry, should have mentioned that I know Sigil will deal with the code across units. However, it does an amazing job as a WYSIWYG and I just wanted to pull things together and use that facility.
Then, No option
Sigil can put them back (Merge), but that is almost as much work
I have done Global Image inserts for Chapter starts, scene breaks.
A little REGEX can go a long way.

Manichean (over at Calibre group) has a REGEX tutorial that made me see the on how easy. most can be.

Just finished a run.
Chapter number was the first digit(s) in th Paragraph. I split that out, added the word "Chapter " in front, made that a h3 tag and followed that with a <hr />
total time for 27 chapters: 15min includes the split/merges
OH and I validated with Flightcrew
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 09:56 AM   #5
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Sigil can put them back (Merge), but that is almost as much work...
Its not much work in Sigil, especially if you are already going to use Sigil to do further edits.

Simply open the ePub in Sigil and display the segments in the Text section of the Book View panel. Right-click on the last segment and select "Merge with previous". Repeat until there is only one text segment or until the block of segments you wish to edit as a unit are assembled (you may want to leave the various front matter segments as they are).
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-06-2011, 11:33 AM   #6
dicknskip
Zealot

How to feel really stupid in one easy lesson! I had looked at that menu option several times and for some reason it never registered. That's exactly what I was looking for. Thanks so much.
Old 02-09-2011, 05:27 AM   #7
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwig View Post
Its not much work in Sigil, especially if you are already going to use Sigil to do further edits.

Simply open the ePub in Sigil and display the segments in the Text section of the Book View panel. Right-click on the last segment and select "Merge with previous". Repeat until there is only one text segment or until the block of segments you wish to edit as a unit are assembled (you may want to leave the various front matter segments as they are).
that works , but it is tedious if you have 50+ segments.

an auto option would be nice to have
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote