Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-02-2011, 01:05 PM   #1
SunLight
Connoisseur
SunLight began at the beginning.

Device: none
Got a Replacement Kindle -> Shadow of the Previous Page

I do not believe I had this on my previous Kindle, but when I got my replacement Kindle recently, I noticed that more often than naught, when I changed pages, I could see a very light shadow of the text from the previous page and if it was an image, it was even more noticeable. This can be fixed by clicking the Menu button twice - thus refreshing the page, but why is this occurring, shouldn't changing the page totally swipe the screen of any fragments of the previous page?

It looks like white text on the gray/white screen of my Kindle 3 - Graphite.

Is this normal or should I ask for another replacement?

Thanks

Here is a picture of what happens when I go from a page full of text to a blank page

Last edited by SunLight; 01-02-2011 at 02:33 PM.
SunLight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 01:31 PM   #2
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
I'm afraid you need to ask for another replacement. this was a relatively minor issue with some kindles, looks like you got one of them ;o(
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-02-2011, 01:48 PM   #3
SunLight
Connoisseur

I can replicate this issue by going to the Kindle Library (where the ebook titles are displayed) and clicking Menu, when I click Menu to exit the side-menu, it leaves a very faint trace of the Side-Menu.

Old 01-02-2011, 02:02 PM   #4
RexGalore
Connoisseur
RexGalore doesn't litterRexGalore doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunLight View Post
I can replicate this issue by going to the Kindle Library (where the ebook titles are displayed) and clicking Menu, when I click Menu to exit the side-menu, it leaves a very faint trace of the Side-Menu.

This I think is normal. In menus it usually won't do a full refresh. You'll also notice that if you use the quick look up in a book there will be a trace of the dictionary and the cursor even after you have removed them.

But if it is all the time, after every page turn then there seems to be something wrong with it. And you should probably do as Kindlekitten says and contact amazon.

As side notes two things can be said:
1) You don't have to press menu twice to refresh, you can just press alt + G and the Kindle will do a full refresh of the screen.

2) I have noticed that the Kindle is a lot worse at refreshing the screen when it's cold. When I'm waiting for the bus now (it's pretty cold where I live) it starts to get a lot of ghosting after a couple of minutes. So keep it at a reasonable temperature.
RexGalore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 02:32 PM   #5
SunLight
Connoisseur

I have added a picture I took to better illustrate this problem.
Advert
Old 01-02-2011, 05:11 PM   #6
travfar
Groupie
travfar can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguetravfar can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguetravfar can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguetravfar can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguetravfar can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguetravfar can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguetravfar can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguetravfar can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguetravfar can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguetravfar can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguetravfar can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: laptop
Dude, I'd return it.
travfar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 02:18 AM   #7
matt314159
Groupie
matt314159 can extract oil from cheesematt314159 can extract oil from cheesematt314159 can extract oil from cheesematt314159 can extract oil from cheesematt314159 can extract oil from cheesematt314159 can extract oil from cheesematt314159 can extract oil from cheesematt314159 can extract oil from cheese

Device: KSO, NookColor (CM7.1), Samsung Mesmerize
Just for kicks, you might also make sure you're running fw version 3.0.3, or whatever the latest version is right now. A lot of the way the screen controller refreshes the screen, etc, is done by the software on the kindle. Back when I was at 3.0.1 it seemed to have more ghosting especially when browsing the web, but when I went to 3.0.2, that problem seemed to resolve. I hope I'm remembering the version numbers correctly, and I *think* amazon pushes the FW out automatically so it should be current, but just in case, it's a quick, painless thing to try before you start a return.
matt314159 is offline   Reply With Quote