Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 11-22-2012, 04:45 PM   #16
LandSurveyor
infrequent visitor
LandSurveyor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LandSurveyor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LandSurveyor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LandSurveyor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LandSurveyor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LandSurveyor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LandSurveyor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LandSurveyor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LandSurveyor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LandSurveyor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LandSurveyor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung smartphone, HP Touchpad, searcing for the best e-ink device
I really should check in here more often. I only learned about the Glo from a review I just read.

I was really considering the PW but don't care with the skimpy 2GB storage that seems to have become the ereader standard. Yes, I know that still holds a lot of books and yes, I know about the "cloud", which is not always available to us in the sticks.

Having a card slot just makes too much sense.

Now I understand from a post above that it has a browser? I realize it's still BW but I do get frustrated trying to read forums formatted for full-sized computers on my smartphone.

I was told the Kindle Keyboard had a browser but most said it's not really that great. I wonder if this one is better.

Here's one of my dumb questions: could Calibre convert Kindle format books into a format I could load into this Kobo device? I've got my reservations about Kindle hardware but I've had mostly positive experiences buying my ebooks from Amazon.
LandSurveyor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 04:49 PM   #17
Quexos
Member Retired
Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I think I've heard about Calibre doing just that. And if it does not, there are websites out there that automatically convert a book format to another, you just upload a book and it spits out the same book in the desired format.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandSurveyor View Post
Here's one of my dumb questions: could Calibre convert Kindle format books into a format I could load into this Kobo device? I've got my reservations about Kindle hardware but I've had mostly positive experiences buying my ebooks from Amazon.
Quexos is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-22-2012, 05:11 PM   #18
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
I'll use my words carefully.
Yes, calibre can convert from (almost?) any source format to any target format.
You either can manipulate the settings manually, or use the presets of calibre.
Results usually will be great. Personally, I only had troubles with PDFs as source files.
BUT: Kindle books of course are copy protected.
Here you can do 2 things:
a.) Remove DRM (Digital Rights Management = copy protection) manually, then run through calibre.
b.) Add the respective plugins to calibre and let calibre do the rest.
And: That's the mere technical description. Legal issues aside.
Don't worry: It may sound complicated. But when checking the right websites, all you have to do is install python and run some batch files.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 05:12 PM   #19
LandSurveyor
infrequent visitor
LandSurveyor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LandSurveyor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LandSurveyor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LandSurveyor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LandSurveyor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LandSurveyor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LandSurveyor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LandSurveyor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LandSurveyor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LandSurveyor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LandSurveyor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

This is looking better and better.

I don't have any issues with the legal side. I can't see myself copying and distributing shady copies of the nonfiction stuff I usually read. I'm for fair use.
Old 11-22-2012, 05:17 PM   #20
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quexos View Post
...And if it does not, there are websites out there that automatically convert a book format to another, you just upload a book and it spits out the same book in the desired format.
You just have to consider: 90% of the books you purchase will have copy protection, so do Kindle or Kobo books.
Copy protection allows for some minor manipulations, for example changing the cover graphic. But you won't be able to convert a copy protected file via the websites you describe.
There are workarounds, though.
Nowadays, copy protection can be stripped from the respective file by running a simple batch file = a matter of 10 seconds.
Advert
Old 11-22-2012, 05:22 PM   #21
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
I don't have any issues with the legal side. I can't see myself copying and distributing shady copies of the nonfiction stuff I usually read. I'm for fair use.
Just wanted to mention the legal side...
Most users have a simple process:
- Buy the book from your favorite source. Amazon definitely is a great address for that = huge variety and often the lowest price.
- Copy the file to your PC. Not only download on your reader, but download the file on your PC as well.
- Strip the file from DRM = eliminate the copy protection.
- Should your provider cease business, you still have the file and later can convert to another format.
This still might be illegal in your home country, But as long as you don't share the file: How should anyone bother or even know about it?
But of course there's your average file sharer: Spreading files around, that still might carry his credit card info, name and other info in the file header...
Old 11-22-2012, 05:54 PM   #22
LandSurveyor
infrequent visitor

I'm sorry, I didn't intend to sound blase about the legalities. And I appreciate your advice.

I would just want to be able to read my Amazon books on the Kobo, if I purchase it.
Old 11-22-2012, 06:04 PM   #23
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
I would just want to be able to read my Amazon books on the Kobo, if I purchase it.
And you definitely can do so.
One last tip:
Kobo basically is using ePUB, more or less the standard format amongst eBooks.
You can buy ePUBs from various sources.
Amazon Kindle's format is close enough to ePUB, you won't loose quality in the conversion process. But of course it might be a bit easier and faster and more convenient, to stick to ePUB for most of the books.
There are some search engines, for looking up prices in the various formats. So you always could buy from the cheapest source.
But if you're free to choose and tend to Kobo: ePUB might be the easiest way to go.
But again: If you want to have Amazon as your source, technically it's not much of a problem.
Old 11-22-2012, 06:13 PM   #24
Quexos
Member Retired
Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yes It's called DRM, nothing new there. You can't do much with DRM on, it's a wonder you manage to even read the book at all with it

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post
You just have to consider: 90% of the books you purchase will have copy protection, so do Kindle or Kobo books.
Copy protection allows for some minor manipulations, for example changing the cover graphic. But you won't be able to convert a copy protected file via the websites you describe.
There are workarounds, though.
Nowadays, copy protection can be stripped from the respective file by running a simple batch file = a matter of 10 seconds.
Old 11-22-2012, 06:21 PM   #25
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quexos View Post
Yes It's called DRM, nothing new there. You can't do much with DRM on, it's a wonder you manage to even read the book at all with it
Just wanted to point out to LandSurveyor that "there are websites out there that automatically convert a book format to another, you just upload a book and it spits out the same book in the desired format." normally won't work for DRM-protected books...
I guess, most of us painfully had to go through the python-exercise.
Old 11-22-2012, 11:02 PM   #26
LandSurveyor
infrequent visitor

"Python exercise?" Sounds like some kind of painful yoga technique.
Old 11-22-2012, 11:24 PM   #27
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Snake charming.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 02:32 AM   #28
Quexos
Member Retired

LOL
But it seems indeed a little painful and complicated. I won't get into details here cause I'm not sure it's allowed but there is not one program involved but three or something.

Quote:
Old 11-23-2012, 03:30 AM   #29
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
Actually, it's surprisingly rewarding.
Old 11-23-2012, 11:10 AM   #30
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
If an improved model comes out in a year, I'm sure I'll buy it. In the mean time, I can do an awful lot of reading in a year on my PW .
And I'll do the same on my Kindle Keyboard (touch wood it keeps working) while I wait

As we head into the dark nights of winter the lighted screen becomes ever more attractive... but it was while I was sitting in bed reading a few nights ago that it struck me just how great the Kindle Keyboard screen looks.

As for DRM, it's thank to apprentice alf that I can happily consider getting the Kobo Glo instead of the Paperwhite. And to be honest, if the Kobo Glo had included side page turn buttons, I would have just ditched the Kindle and went for the Glo.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote