Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 09-17-2012, 10:30 AM   #76
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tugger View Post
Can media queries also be in other non .css files?
Yes, they can be in <link> and <style> tags in the headers of the (x)html documents.

Quote:
I recommend InDesign despite my problems. It would be perfectly possible to make a beautiful printed book with lots of typographical complexity and then make a well formatted Kindle edition quickly with no html or css knowledge at all. It handles fonts, including embedded fonts if wanted, (even if just used for bullets), TOC, NCX file automatically generated, and the cover. And it covers pretty much all the formatting that is possible with KF8.
I don't doubt it. But as with all Adobe retail products, the question of $$ puts it right out of many people's reach.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 10:43 AM   #77
Tugger
Connoisseur
Tugger can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueTugger can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueTugger can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueTugger can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueTugger can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueTugger can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueTugger can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueTugger can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueTugger can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueTugger can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueTugger can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Kindle
Can you suggest a program that I could use to automate the text edits I mentioned. It could simply work from a list of search and replace commands. I could have one command for every possible point size, e.g. "font-size: 30pt" to "font-size: 3.0em". I'm getting bored of working through css files again and again.
Tugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 11:12 AM   #78
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Can you suggest a program that I could use to automate the text edits I mentioned. It could simply work from a list of search and replace commands. I could have one command for every possible point size, e.g. "font-size: 30pt" to "font-size: 3.0em". I'm getting bored of working through css files again and again.
That's just something I would use a regex capable text-editor for, myself. But in all honesty, it's not something I run into very often. I don't specify (or recommend specifying) a "standard paragraph" font size. I prefer to allow the reading device/app to choose its default body-text size (though specifying a 1em standard paragraph font-size should accomplish the same thing), so I never end up with more than a handful of font-sizes to deal with in my CSS.

That's part of why I start from scratch in the first place, frankly. Because the first thing I'm going have to do with any auto-generated-from-another-format ebook is tear it all apart to tweak the things I want to anyway. I always find it easier to build my own than to learn to fix somebody else's. You, yourself, are having to learn many of the basics of the coding necessary to create an ebook from scratch, just by fixing what you don't like about what a program is building for you. At what point does learning the skills necessary to tweak the InDesign plugin's output render the InDesign portion of the workflow unnecessary (and possibly even an inefficient use of time)?

I think we're trending toward a discussion that might be better suited for the Workshop forum.
Old 09-17-2012, 06:34 PM   #79
Tugger
Connoisseur
Tugger can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueTugger can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueTugger can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueTugger can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueTugger can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueTugger can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueTugger can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueTugger can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueTugger can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueTugger can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueTugger can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Thanks for all the help.

I now have a editor macro which corrects all the KF8 font issues in a split second.

And I have completely cracked the Goto Beginning issue, after much searching and reading and experimentation. Pretty much everything I found on the internet was partly right, but none entirely right. To make the same source work perfectly for both mobi7 and KF8, with the TOC in the same xhtml file, and to work exactly the same on the Previewer and a real KF8 Kindle, was not easy.

Now that I have solved it, and can see no sign that anyone else has managed it, I am happy to share the solution if you tell me the best place to do so. I can't immediately see the Workshop forum you mention?
Old 09-17-2012, 07:02 PM   #80
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
To make the same source work perfectly for both mobi7 and KF8, with the TOC in the same xhtml file, and to work exactly the same on the Previewer and a real KF8 Kindle, was not easy.

Now that I have solved it, and can see no sign that anyone else has managed it, I am happy to share the solution if you tell me the best place to do so. I can't immediately see the Workshop forum you mention?
I remember a discussion about some sort of problem with the Start Point in the MOBI forum. But I can't say I've ever had problems getting it to work on the various devices. I just make sure the correct reference is in the guide section of the OPF.

My TOC is never in the same xhtml file as my start Start Point (if that's what you meant by the above underlined text), so I've probably never been affected by the issue. My html ToC is always its very own file. But yes ... I'm certainly interested in your solution ... it case I am ever affected (or if I can help someone else who might be struggling with it).

This particular thread in the MOBI forum was discussing the issue with regards to the Kindle 4. Not the Fire, but it certainly sounds like the same issue -- works in the Previewer but not on the actual device. Perhaps that would be a good place.
Old 09-18-2012, 08:33 AM   #81
Tugger
Connoisseur

I have done as you suggested. My solution to the start problem is now in the mobi section of the forum.
Old 09-26-2012, 04:24 PM   #82
Akrite
Akrite began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Does anyone know how too, or what settings to use in calibre, to make the converted print replica azw4 file look like the original when converted to pdf? I've tried every setting under the sun but calibre still changes the page layout. Btw the file I'm converting is already DRM free.
Akrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 05:30 PM   #83
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrite View Post
Does anyone know how too, or what settings to use in calibre, to make the converted print replica azw4 file look like the original when converted to pdf?
Don't try to convert it. It's already really a PDF in a PDB wrapper. Use MobiUnpack to unpack it and get the original PDF.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 06:12 PM   #84
Akrite

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Don't try to convert it. It's already really a PDF in a PDB wrapper. Use MobiUnpack to unpack it and get the original PDF.
I'm sorry how do you just unpack it? I'm really new to this so I'm suffering from a bit of a learning curve.
Old 09-26-2012, 06:16 PM   #85
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I'm sorry how do you just unpack it? I'm really new to this so I'm suffering from a bit of a learning curve.
Well, if I was doing it I'd just drop it on my MobiUnpack AppleScript Application wrapper, but that's because I'm on Mac OS X.

Since you're posting here in the thread about the MobiUnpack calibre plugin, I suggest you install and use that. I suspect it has instructions. Check the first post of this thread.
Old 09-26-2012, 06:46 PM   #86
Akrite

What is the "MobiUnpack AppleScript Application wrapper"? Seems more efficient. I installed the plugin correctly however the instructions aren't clear. I'm using OSX as well. Thank you for all your help.
Old 09-27-2012, 02:51 AM   #87
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
What is the "MobiUnpack AppleScript Application wrapper"? Seems more efficient. I installed the plugin correctly however the instructions aren't clear. I'm using OSX as well. Thank you for all your help.
If you're on Mac OS X, then go to this thread and download "MobiUnpack v0.54.app.zip" from the first post.

Unzip it when it's download, and you'll have a small application (written using AppleScript). Just drag&drop an .azw3 format file onto it, and it will extract the PDF inside.
Old 09-27-2012, 09:02 AM   #88
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I installed the plugin correctly however the instructions aren't clear.
The Print Replica functionality you're having trouble with would probably be fairly self-explanatory if there weren't a big ol' bug in the latest version of the plugin that seems to affect Print Replica ebooks.

You still should be able to highlight the ebook, select the unpack option from the MobiUnpack menu (from whatever calibre menu you chose to add the plugin to upon first install) and unpack everything to an external directory of your choosing. The PDF file will be there.

But optimally, there should be a menu that allows you to pull just the PDF out of the Print Replica format and add it to calibre's library entry for that ebook.

I'll get to work on fixing the bug.
Old 09-30-2012, 04:59 PM   #89
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Ok. I think I fixed the bug with the Print Replica format. I sort of overhauled the engine that collates all the various properties of the mobi-type formats. It's a little neater and hopefully won't hang the whole shebang like the old one was doing occasionally (albeit rarely).

I'm going to attach it here as a beta. Give it a workout and see if it's doing what it's intended to do. If I don't hear about any broken functionality or ridiculous bugs after a few days (or so), I'll make it official and update the first post with the new version.

Thanks in advance to any that try it out.

@Tugger: don't forget to reboot your machine after installing if you decide to test out the beta.

[Removed the beta attachment: moved to first post and made "official"]

Last edited by DiapDealer; 10-14-2012 at 04:58 PM. Reason: Removed beta attachment
Old 10-05-2012, 04:36 AM   #90
Tugger
Connoisseur

Does v054b plugin also have the special code to fix the start problem when one does a split? Will that be a permanent part of the plugin?

Last edited by Tugger; 10-05-2012 at 04:38 AM.

Tags
mobi2mobi