Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 01-21-2010, 09:03 AM   #31
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post
It's slightly faster than Sony 900 for turning pages.
Haven't found any note taking feature so far.
They've said that a firmware update is scheduled for April which will add annotation capabilities. Of course, it's not a good idea to rely on such dates!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 09:09 AM   #32
Mr. Goodbar
Wizard
Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.

Device: iPad Mini 4
Quote:
I briefly switch the off-button (less than 1 second) for standby. I hold it (about 3 seconds) for power-off. Just tried the Sony way...
Thanks, I was wondering if that was the process, but it wasn't mentioned anywhere in the manual.

I'll be curious as to your impressions of battery life over the next few days as you use it, particularly if you just keep it in standby as opposed to shutting it the whole way down. On my Kindle and Sony I never turn it off, just use the standby, which gives great battery life.
Mr. Goodbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-21-2010, 09:20 AM   #33
DeReader
Connoisseur
DeReader doesn't litterDeReader doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-T1, iRex DR1000S, Kindle DXG, Jetbook Color
Wow, my unit has not even arrived, thank you for your first impressions! Looks really good so far.

Hope that UPS guy will show up in the next hours
DeReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 09:22 AM   #34
osama_jamal
"eBook Addict!"
osama_jamal began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505
Quote:
It's slightly faster than Sony 900 for turning pages.
Haven't found any note taking feature so far.
Can you turn off the LED light on the left?
And can you view large PDFs in two pages like the SONY landscape mode?

Last edited by osama_jamal; 01-21-2010 at 09:24 AM.
osama_jamal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 09:23 AM   #35
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by catharsis View Post
What about academic papers? Can you make some pictures of how the reader handles a document like this ? I'm intersted in the first and second page.
It DOES NOT have iLiad's "intelligent" zoom (marking any area with the stylus and exploding it to full screen).
So you only can increase font size, thus "ruining" the layout.
So it's the same as with all units < DIN A4/letter: It's a compromise for complex documents.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC07622.jpg
Views:	1172
Size:	767.5 KB
ID:	43963   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC07621.jpg
Views:	1092
Size:	831.6 KB
ID:	43964  
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-21-2010, 09:24 AM   #36
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by osama_jamal View Post
Don't think so. But it goes off automatically, only shows activity.
Old 01-21-2010, 09:26 AM   #37
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeReader View Post
Wow, my unit has not even arrived, thank you for your first impressions! Looks really good so far.

Hope that UPS guy will show up in the next hours
I've tracked progress online. Mine did arrive in Nuremberg yesterday evening and left their depository this morning 7am.
Was yours on the road this morning already as well?

Last edited by mgmueller; 01-21-2010 at 09:29 AM.
Old 01-21-2010, 09:29 AM   #38
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by osama_jamal View Post
And can you view large PDFs in two pages like the SONY landscape mode?
No, no 2-page-view.
BTW: I thought it was a good idea as well. But after having seen it in action, I never use it on my Sony 900. Wasting too much space, no real benefit.
Old 01-21-2010, 09:30 AM   #39
Jumpn Jack Flash
Lazy Git
Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.

Device: iRex DR800S
Quote:
It DOES NOT have iLiad's "intelligent" zoom (marking any area with the stylus and exploding it to full screen).
So it's the same as with all units < DIN A4/letter: It's a compromise for complex documents.
Does the 1000s have this capablity, if so then it may be left until the annotation suppport is done, this of course assumes that the 1000s will not lose any features bar mobi support
Jumpn Jack Flash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 09:30 AM   #40
catharsis
Addict
catharsis began at the beginning.

Device: iRex DR800SG, Onyx Boox M92
Quote:
So the only zoom method is to increase the font size? Your pictures look pretty decent, font quite small, but would you say it's readable without zooming (I mean increasing the font size)?
catharsis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 09:32 AM   #41
badbob001
Fanatic
badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard (rip), Kindle Voyage, Fire Tablet 10 '17, iPad '19
Quote:
If you set the margin to none for the academic pdf, then hopefully the text will be bigger? Or is the margin option an 'addition' to the internal margins of the document?
badbob001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 09:47 AM   #42
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by badbob001 View Post
If you set the margin to none for the academic pdf, then hopefully the text will be bigger? Or is the margin option an 'addition' to the internal margins of the document?
Unfortunately, "no margin" doesn't help here.
You can stick to the original layout, with its pre-defined margin. Or you can change the font size and then cut the margin. But this means, you can't eliminate the margins from your original layout. This has been perfect with iLiad's "intelligent" zoom. So I'd still consider iLiad the #1 unit for (complex) PDFs.
Old 01-21-2010, 09:49 AM   #43
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by catharsis View Post
So the only zoom method is to increase the font size? Your pictures look pretty decent, font quite small, but would you say it's readable without zooming (I mean increasing the font size)?
It is readable. But I don't see significant advantages in comparison to, let's say, Sony 900. Significantly less glare and slightly better contrast, but PDF capabilities aren't any better. Actually, Sony 600 and 900 can zoom and reflow within PDFs. But only for a single page, so cropping margins isn't easy there as well.
Old 01-21-2010, 09:55 AM   #44
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumpn Jack Flash View Post
Does the 1000s have this capablity, if so then it may be left until the annotation suppport is done, this of course assumes that the 1000s will not lose any features bar mobi support
iRex 1000S does have this feature as well.
Old 01-21-2010, 10:07 AM   #45
DeReader
Connoisseur
DeReader doesn't litterDeReader doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-T1, iRex DR1000S, Kindle DXG, Jetbook Color
Quote:
I've tracked progress online. Mine did arrive in Nuremberg yesterday evening and left their depository this morning 7am.
Was yours on the road this morning already as well?
Oh yes, it left the nearest Depot (thats for me "Frittlingen") this morning at 8:00. Usually UPS is very reliable with shipments to my adress, so I hope it will arrive today.

But back to the DR800S: The missing "intelligent zoom" feature is really a negative aspect, I use this on my Iliad for nearly all PDF files. So I expected that feature on the DR800S too.
DeReader is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
irex 800