Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 06-23-2017, 10:18 AM   #1
Keltia
Keltia began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook Lux 3 / iPad Mini retina/iPhone 6
Authenticated http proxy

Hello, forgive me to bring that http proxy issue again.

I'm running calibre 3.0 on a 10.12.5 macOS and we are now using an authenticated proxy here. My system proxy setup has my username/password configured in Preferences but calibre does not pick up these, only the hostname & port (and thus timeout when trying to access the Internet).

I am not going to put my password in the http_proxy environment variable, ever.

Is there a way for Calibre to pick up the credentials too and use them?

PS: Using tsocks (a command-line SOCKS proxy) with calibre but it has recently stopped working like all Python-based apps, presumably because you can't inject a shared library (the way tsocks work) into the system python
Keltia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 11:08 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
If you are not willing to use an env var then no, there is no other way.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-26-2017, 03:34 AM   #3
Keltia

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
If you are not willing to use an env var then no, there is no other way.
Any idea why Calibre is not picking up the credentials from the system then?
Old 06-26-2017, 03:46 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

calibre uses the python stdlib function urllib.getproxies() to get proxy information. I'm afraid I dont have any insight into how it operates on OS X
Old 06-26-2017, 03:50 AM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

https://github.com/kovidgoyal/calibr...init__.py#L315
Advert
Old 06-26-2017, 05:37 AM   #6
Keltia

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Yes, looking around in Python's source, there is an OS X specific module called _scproxy supposedly abel to call OS X native API to get this information.

Code:
Python 2.7.10 (default, Feb  6 2017, 23:53:20)
[GCC 4.2.1 Compatible Apple LLVM 8.0.0 (clang-800.0.34)] on darwin
Type "help", "copyright", "credits" or "license" for more information.
>>> from _scproxy import _get_proxy_settings, _get_proxies
>>> _get_proxies()
{}
Does not look promising