Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > KOReader

Notices

Old 06-01-2017, 01:00 PM   #1
chromeuser
chromeuser began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung Tab A 10.1, Fire HD8, Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Aura One
Long time to open e-book and apply setting changes

I've been using PDF documents with KOReader and it works OK.

I want to try reading KEPUB or EPUB books with KOReader but there is a problem with long rendering time when opening e-books (especially if it is a large one). Also, it takes some time to change settings e.g. font and font size. Is there any solution to the noted problems?

P.S. I am using the Kobo Aura One

Many thanks.
chromeuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 01:06 PM   #2
Alan_S
Evangelist
Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Aura ONE
Could you please be more specific on some things:

Which koreader version you have?

What timings you're talking about? Some of actions aren't instant, but this is normal. On the other hand, if you wait for minute, or minutes, that may be a problem (of which one is already solved in latest version).
Alan_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-01-2017, 01:06 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
KOREader is not designed for kepub. What you want is ePub for KOReader.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 01:27 PM   #4
chromeuser
chromeuser began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung Tab A 10.1, Fire HD8, Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Aura One
Thanks for the feedback - I am using v2015.11-1048-g8fc5033

I haven't tried epub books yet and so the problem is with kepub books. I thought they are similar to epub books that it wouldn't make a difference. Also, I didn't want to duplicate e-books in epub and kepub to use them with Nickel and KOReader (Nickel doesn't render epubs well).

I'll try just epubs and see if there is any difference.
chromeuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 10:04 PM   #5
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
You may also want to put the files you want to read with KOReader in a "hidden" folder, to avoid having them processed by Nickel. While KOReader can read the files from where ever Nickel has them, once you find them, it makes it easier if KOReader has its own "Home" directory for the book files.

Oh yeah, a hidden folder is one that starts with a dot/period like ".Library" (You can make one in windows by naming it ".Library." the trailing dot will disappear and you will have your hidden folder, to put the files or subfolders in, they will also be hidden from Nickel's processing.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-02-2017, 01:08 PM   #6
Alan_S
Evangelist
Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Aura ONE
Quote:
Originally Posted by chromeuser View Post
I haven't tried epub books yet and so the problem is with kepub books.
Sorry, I thought you have problems with epubs and kepubs. Epubs work great. Actually, I read epubs without problems, at least many books.

There always can be a problem with specific book, but all in all, epubs work great.
Alan_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 05:48 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
kepub if downloaded from Kobo could have DRM. Also, kepub is ePub that's been changed and unless you are using the Access renderer, the formatting is off. So don't use kepub with KOReader. Use ePub.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote