Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 04-13-2017, 10:52 PM   #1
gmayo
gmayo began at the beginning.

Device: none
Angry Problem adding ebooks to Calibre

I have recently had problems when adding ebooks to Calibre via the Add Books button. When I press this, the Select Books dialog appears and within a few seconds, I get an error messagesaying that "The calibre-file-dialog.exe has stopped working". alibre then shows an "ERROR: Unhandled exception" box saying that "Exception:file dialog failed(return code -1073741819)".

Any thoughts on the cause and what I can do to fix? So far it seems that Calibre is working normally. I am using V2.80.0.
gmayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 11:02 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Something on your computer is interfering with the calibre worker process calibre-file-dialog.exe which is used to display the open file dialog. Most likely your antivirus/security program, or a program that install windows shell extensions. Either you will have to find and disable the program or you can use the
CALIBRE_NO_NATIVE_FILEDIALOGS environment variable as described here: https://manual.calibre-ebook.com/cus...ment-variables
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-14-2017, 11:38 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
An alternative is to drag and drop books onto the Calibre window. That's the way I always do it.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 05:53 PM   #4
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

If you use a file manager which has an option to 'replace' File/Windows Explorer and you enable that option then that could cause this sort of problem.

Another alternative for adding books, in Windows, is to use the Send To feature, you will need to put a short cut to calibre.exe into the SendTo folder (Windows+R, shell:sendto). Good if you're mouse averse and data centric.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 10:53 PM   #5
gmayo

Thanks all for your input. To HarryT and BetterRed, thanks for those suggestions. It's easy to forget about other methods when you get caught up in aa problem. At least I am "operational" now. When (or if) I track down the cause, I will update this post in case anyone else has this problem.
Advert
Old 04-14-2017, 11:10 PM   #6
gmayo

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Something on your computer is interfering with the calibre worker process calibre-file-dialog.exe which is used to display the open file dialog. Most likely your antivirus/security program, or a program that install windows shell extensions. Either you will have to find and disable the program or you can use the
CALIBRE_NO_NATIVE_FILEDIALOGS environment variable as described here: https://manual.calibre-ebook.com/cus...ment-variables
I agree something has changed. I added an ebook at the end of February as I normally do and had no problrm. When I went to add another book a few days ago, I had the issue described in this post. I read through the online help which suggested the problem was likely to be as you said. I turned off antivirus entirely but same issue. I have used ShellExView as suggested to look at the shell extensions and in conjunction with Control Panel/programs to look for anything installed from the end of February. Nothing stands out yet as there only appears to have been some updates of previously installed programs. I guess it will be a slow process of turning things off until I find the culprit.

You also mentioned setting an environment variable. No problem to do that but i did not know what value to give the variable.

Thanks again for your response.
Old 04-14-2017, 11:15 PM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
It doesn't matter what value you give it, it just has to exist, the value 1 is traditional.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 05:03 AM   #8
gmayo

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
It doesn't matter what value you give it, it just has to exist, the value 1 is traditional.

Thanks. That works.