Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 09-16-2013, 01:59 PM   #46
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiniMouse View Post
So, what I wanted to say...when you want to use pixlr and need any help then I will happily anwer any question that I can.
Thank you

I've looked at Pixlr. It is a very fine program, especially for an online/in-browser one. Very capable and covering at least the basics and more to boot. As far as I can see, GIMP can do anything Pixlr can, and I'm much more familiar with that program, so I'll just stick to that

Still, you may be able to help. What do you do to "embed" the ornaments into the cover, so they don't look "tacked on"?

You can tell me what you do in Pixlr. I'll transpose your workflow into GIMP myself

Quote:
No, not from scratch. It only puts text over the image but the fun is, that it takes it from your title, author and (if you wish) your series column, so you can change a lot of covers at once if you want.
You can though decide the font, text size, place and add stroke with even a different color.
Hm, OK. Nah. Not the way I work. I often replace covers directly in the book itself (in the EPUB) and fix everything that needs fixing. To do that, I rely on the EPUB editor Sigil. I want the book to be essentially perfect on import.

To each his own
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 02:10 PM   #47
MiniMouse
Groupie
MiniMouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MiniMouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MiniMouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MiniMouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MiniMouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MiniMouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MiniMouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MiniMouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MiniMouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MiniMouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MiniMouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Well, there will always be a big time delay because I'm not living in the US! And there could be some communication difficulties too because I'm not a native speaker!
Device: Sony PRS-T3S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sefiriot View Post
The settings for both are basically the same, except the colours and of course, the background images.

Edited because the forums ate the other two cover images. :\ Also, the first image is a book cover made with fanart by nomdeplumeria for the fic in question, combined with one of the cover images by MiniMouse as background, made in Pixlr.
Great work.

I see pixlr worked for you. If you have questions, just ask.

The text you made with the Generate Cover Plugin? If so, please export them and share the zip-files. That would be great. And add the font in your replay.

MiniMouse
MiniMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-16-2013, 02:11 PM   #48
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Gotcha Covered: Blanks and Templates to create your own covers
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 02:17 PM   #49
MiniMouse
Groupie
MiniMouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MiniMouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MiniMouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MiniMouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MiniMouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MiniMouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MiniMouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MiniMouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MiniMouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MiniMouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MiniMouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Well, there will always be a big time delay because I'm not living in the US! And there could be some communication difficulties too because I'm not a native speaker!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
I've looked at Pixlr. It is a very fine program, especially for an online/in-browser one. Very capable and covering at least the basics and more to boot. As far as I can see, GIMP can do anything Pixlr can, and I'm much more familiar with that program, so I'll just stick to that

Still, you may be able to help. What do you do to "embed" the ornaments into the cover, so they don't look "tacked on"?

You can tell me what you do in Pixlr. I'll transpose your workflow into GIMP myself

Okay, first I load my layer in and then the second one. Then pixlr has like 10 different functions that merges these two layers by providing different merge options. Most of the time I test them all and see what comes out if it. The effect is so great sometimes.

MiniMouse
Old 09-16-2013, 02:34 PM   #50
Sefiriot
Bujavid tekikin
Sefiriot writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Sefiriot writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Sefiriot writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Sefiriot writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Sefiriot writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Sefiriot writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Sefiriot writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Sefiriot writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Sefiriot writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Sefiriot writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Sefiriot writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: LG G3 D855, Samsung Galaxy Note N7000
Here you go. The font used in the two default covers is Gentium Book Basic, available on fontspace. For the fanfic cover with the pretty picture, I used two fonts: Ringbearer and Dwarf Runes, both of which are available for free here.

Note that the settings for the left and right margins on my covers aren't exactly fixed; I tend to tweak them if I don't like what I see and mess around till I feel they're just right. YMMV.
Attached Files
File Type: zip default_anthology_settings.zip (1.66 MB, 972 views)
File Type: zip default_non_anthology_settings.zip (4.65 MB, 966 views)
Sefiriot is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-16-2013, 03:07 PM   #51
glos
Zealot
glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
These are some of those I've done with your covers here ^_^
I'm liking the sherlock holmes font a lot, thanks for the hint
(simply wanted you to see some)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Schermata 2013-09-16 a 21.01.15.png
Views:	1282
Size:	286.2 KB
ID:	111348   Click image for larger version

Name:	Schermata 2013-09-16 a 20.59.48.png
Views:	1192
Size:	489.6 KB
ID:	111349   Click image for larger version

Name:	Schermata 2013-09-16 a 20.58.18.png
Views:	1279
Size:	437.1 KB
ID:	111350  
glos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 03:23 PM   #52
MiniMouse
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by glos View Post
These are some of those I've done with your covers here ^_^
I'm liking the sherlock holmes font a lot, thanks for the hint
(simply wanted you to see some)
This is great, especially the first one I like very much!

If you want to share and you made them with the Generate Cover Plugin then export the zip-files and put them up here (hint, hint... I what the first one at least, pleaseeeeee)!

And post the font for all the covers in your reply. So everyone knows what to look for if the font is not on his computer.

I love this. You ALL so great. Karma to you all

MiniMouse
Old 09-16-2013, 03:58 PM   #53
Sefiriot
Bujavid tekikin
Sefiriot writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Sefiriot writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Sefiriot writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Sefiriot writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Sefiriot writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Sefiriot writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Sefiriot writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Sefiriot writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Sefiriot writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Sefiriot writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Sefiriot writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

MiniMouse, thank you so much for recommending pixlr: I just used it to rework a cover I originally made in GC, which is fast becoming my favourite tool. Now I've a new use for GC: making rough drafts of covers! I used GC to plan the text placement, colours, fonts, sizes and then recreated it in pixlr; shaved off at least 30 minutes there because I just copied over the GC settings.

The font used is Trajan, which is also the font used in the original Mummy promotional posters; note that it's not free, but you can get it if you know where to look. Trajan Pro is a related font that comes free with Windows.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	before.jpg
Views:	1274
Size:	202.8 KB
ID:	111351   Click image for larger version

Name:	after.jpg
Views:	1186
Size:	603.4 KB
ID:	111352  
Old 09-16-2013, 04:05 PM   #54
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

4 more covers: scanned as is, with only the author and title removed.

All covers are cardboard, and you can use them as a basis for something more elaborate. If you do, please post the result

edit: added a brown one, with an elaborate pattern.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	cardboard_01.jpg
Views:	1298
Size:	44.1 KB
ID:	111357   Click image for larger version

Name:	cardboard_02.jpg
Views:	1269
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	111358   Click image for larger version

Name:	cardboard_03.jpg
Views:	1309
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	111359   Click image for larger version

Name:	cardboard_04.jpg
Views:	1330
Size:	43.2 KB
ID:	111360   Click image for larger version

Name:	brown_01.jpg
Views:	1230
Size:	72.8 KB
ID:	111361  
Attached Files
File Type: zip cardboard_01.zip (820.1 KB, 1343 views)
File Type: zip cardboard_02.zip (1.04 MB, 1311 views)
File Type: zip cardboard_03.zip (1.27 MB, 1364 views)
File Type: zip cardboard_04.zip (1.41 MB, 1270 views)
File Type: zip brown_01.zip (1,023.9 KB, 1210 views)
Old 09-16-2013, 04:05 PM   #55
glos
Zealot
glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiniMouse View Post
This is great, especially the first one I like very much!

If you want to share and you made them with the Generate Cover Plugin then export the zip-files and put them up here (hint, hint... I what the first one at least, pleaseeeeee)!

And post the font for all the covers in your reply. So everyone knows what to look for if the font is not on his computer.

I love this. You ALL so great. Karma to you all

MiniMouse
you mean export the settings using the button in the generate cover plug-in?
err, I think I don't have the settings anymore, I change font/spacing/background cover for almost each fic so I usually don't save...
I simply used your cover and the Sherlock Holmes font you linked in some previous post (or Georgia for the 2nd cover)
glos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 04:12 PM   #56
Sefiriot
Bujavid tekikin

Quote:

All covers are cardboard, and you can use them as a basis for something more elaborate. If you do, please post the result
Uh, Katsunami? I don't think the attachments made it through...
Old 09-16-2013, 04:14 PM   #57
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Uh, Katsunami? I don't think the attachments made it through...
They were still uploading. Done now. Patience
Old 09-16-2013, 04:20 PM   #58
MiniMouse
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by glos View Post
you mean export the settings using the button in the generate cover plug-in?
err, I think I don't have the settings anymore, I change font/spacing/background cover for almost each fic so I usually don't save...
I simply used your cover and the Sherlock Holmes font you linked in some previous post (or Georgia for the 2nd cover)
Oh, no...

Next time, SAVE THEM and share (please)! And yes, I meant the little red dart button in the Generate Cover Plugin. It will export your files, even if it is just for your own backup.
It is work sometimes to recreate settings you liked (or someone else like) and would help to share cool looking settings.

But I like the first one very much, so I think I have to recreate that myself. Thanks for the inspiration.

MiniMouse

Last edited by MiniMouse; 09-18-2013 at 03:04 AM.
Old 09-16-2013, 04:30 PM   #59
MiniMouse
Groupie

Quote:
MiniMouse, thank you so much for recommending pixlr: I just used it to rework a cover I originally made in GC, which is fast becoming my favourite tool. Now I've a new use for GC: making rough drafts of covers! I used GC to plan the text placement, colours, fonts, sizes and then recreated it in pixlr; shaved off at least 30 minutes there because I just copied over the GC settings.

The font used is Trajan, which is also the font used in the original Mummy promotional posters; note that it's not free, but you can get it if you know where to look. Trajan Pro is a related font that comes free with Windows.
Glad I could help

These are no book covers, right? They are for your music?
I like the artwork.
The first one is the final or the second one? Or are they both final?
Anyway, I like the first one more. The picture is more sharp and I personally prefer that.

MiniMouse
Old 09-16-2013, 04:35 PM   #60
MiniMouse
Groupie

Quote:

edit: added a brown one, with an elaborate pattern.
Now I have some more to play around with