Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > BBeB/LRF Books

Notices

Old 05-15-2007, 09:26 PM   #1
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Machen, Arthur: The Three Imposters. v2. 15 May 07

NOTE: This is VERSION 2 - but it doesn't say that on the upload. I fixed about 20 screens of screwed-up lines, so it should read much better. You should delete your earlier version - especially if you love this "novel" - and replace it with this one.

One of the most influential books of horror ever written.

From one source: "The Three Impostors is an episodic novel by British horror fiction writer Arthur Machen, first published in 1895 in the Bodley Head's Keynote Series. Its importance was recognized in its later revival in paperback by Ballantine Books as the forty-eighth volume of the celebrated Ballantine Adult Fantasy series in June 1972."

And more: Two of the novel's inset tales, "The Novel of the Black Seal" and "The Novel of the White Powder", have been cited as major influences on the work of H. P. Lovecraft. In his survey Supernatural Horror in Literature, Lovecraft suggested that these stories "perhaps represent the highwater mark of Machen's skill as a terror-weaver."

More: "The Novel of the Black Seal" has been cited as a model for some of Lovecraft's best-known stories: "The Call of Cthulhu",[2] "The Dunwich Horror",[3] and "The Whisperer in Darkness".[4] "The Novel of the White Powder", which Lovecraft said "approaches the absolute culmination of loathsome fright",[5] is pointed to as an inspiration for Lovecraft's stories of bodily disintegration, such as "Cool Air" and "The Colour Out of Space".

If you like your horror suble and literate, then you should love this book.

I hope you enjoy it.

Please: If you find errors, let me know and I'll do my best to correct them.

NOTE: This is a somewhat lonely business putting these together, but it sure is fun.
This work is assumed to be in the Life+70 public domain OR the copyright holder has given specific permission for distribution. Copyright laws differ throughout the world, and it may still be under copyright in some countries. Before downloading, please check your country's copyright laws. If the book is under copyright in your country, do not download or redistribute this work.

To report a copyright violation you can contact us here.
Attached Files
File Type: lrf The Three Imposters.lrf (226.4 KB, 1382 views)

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 05-23-2008 at 09:29 AM. Reason: version 2 - Added Prefix
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 12:22 AM   #2
Roy White
Evangelist
Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Sony Reader
Arthur Machen makes me turn all the lights on at night.

Brrrrrrrrrrrr!!!

Awesome stuff!
Roy White is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-16-2007, 02:57 AM   #3
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I just discovered a slight problem with a long letter buried deep in one of the stories. I'm fixing this and will post a V2 in a few hours.

I feel the same way about his work. I especially love the The Hill of Dreams.

Don
Old 05-16-2007, 03:03 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I just don't understand the attraction of reading "horror" books. I don't want to lie awake at night with all the lights on
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 05:37 PM   #5
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

The Three Imposters. VERSION 2

Doesnt' say that in the header, but 20 screens of broken lines have been fixed.

Sorry.
Advert
Old 05-16-2007, 08:39 PM   #6
Roy White
Evangelist
Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.

Hmm. How can I explain? I guess it's the same reason I scuba dive, or like to lean real low on corners on my Mororcycle, or jump off a local bridge in the summer... Or rock climb.. Well.. used to rock climb.. Skii real fast etc, etc, etc.

The slight chill, the thrill of delicious false fear that crawls up my spine.. The creaking of my house and the start, the sudden quickening of my heart and the quick glance behind me, then the chuckle and telling myself. :"You lame-o! Its nothing... Or.. is it?"

Plus, and I hope i dont sound too pretentious here.. Machen is just flat 'Spiritual.' He reminds me that we are surrounded by an unseen world that is on the edge of breaking in on this one and is in fact, linked to and influencing this one. Machen sort of.. Tears aside the veil for a few moments. ESPECIALLY Hill of Dreams. I HIGHLY recomend that one. If you read no other Machen give that one a shot. At least for 50 pages. I wager if you go 50 pages, you'll go whole hog and enjoy it.
Old 05-17-2007, 02:40 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I might just give it a go .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 10:37 AM   #8
Lobolover
Gorosei
Lobolover has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Lobolover has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Lobolover has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Lobolover has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Microsoft Word
Wonderfull writer.Ive only read the two noted by Lovecraft,which ones are worth a read as well?
Lobolover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 11:16 AM   #9
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobolover View Post
Wonderfull writer.Ive only read the two noted by Lovecraft,which ones are worth a read as well?
I would recommend The Great God Pan: http://www.feedbooks.com/discover/book/457
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 02:01 PM   #10
Lobolover
Gorosei
Lobolover has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Lobolover has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Lobolover has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Lobolover has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Oh,ive read that.I meant from the Book.Ive done "The White People" and "The Shining Pyramid" as well.
Old 03-04-2008, 09:56 PM   #11
Cthulhu
Technologist
Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SONY Reader PRS-500
Roy, you recommend Machen for a good dose of my daily 'eldritch horror?'

I like that idea of "pulling back the veil." It reminds me of Paul Bowles' Sheltering Sky . We need pretty blues and whites so we never truly contemplate our place and have a massive super freak-out that leaves us raving lunatics in an asylum, advising our doctors to burn our research assistants in acid.
Cthulhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 10:14 PM   #12
Roy White
Evangelist

Clive Barker is another 'gives me goosechills and makes me take quick looks over my shoulder when I'm reading in the middle of a room at night.
Old 03-06-2008, 07:00 PM   #13
Lobolover
Gorosei

only read Weaveworld from Barker.But-I kinda dont like where mainstream modern horror is going.
Old 04-21-2008, 07:04 PM   #14
Lobolover
Gorosei

Hmm.Okay,read "NOVEL OF THE DARK VALLEY" as well and I must say it was prety good.Basicly,whats labelled a "Novel" can be read separately.Im preparing to read "Novel of the Iron maid" too.
Old 05-20-2008, 04:26 PM   #15
Lobolover
Gorosei

Okay,finished LE BOOK,and,apart from a very good ending,I kinda am confused by some things,though I get the general picture.Anyhow,the edition I read was without "the novelof the iron maid",is that common?